Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hello mr Hilldweller ::bigsmile:

ok so I was static full-timing in the old jalopy until this March, whereupon I threw it into a field and went back to stone walls :Cool:

But, I would like to iron out some problems that occurred in the last few months before I went backpacking into the sun ..

Basically - the main electric unit finally gave up.. what can I put in there to do the job it was doing?... I have seen some secondhand Zig units floating around on ebay and think they may be what I am after..

as it stood.. I had 240V into the EHU, this then split into 240V for the UK domestic sockets, and 110V (via a step up/down) to the original charge unit.. this unit had 110V fuses and powered the Fridge and AC, and then 12V from this to the 12V fuseboard, and then onto the light circuit, the cig lighters, the furnace...
somewhere in all of that was a charger for the battery, and judging by the noise it once made, it may have once tried to 'maintain' the battery... this stopped soon after I got the van, so I think it was just charging on full power from then on, although have no proof..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The charging on full power sounds likely, our old Dodge was the same, only realised when passing the battery door on the outside of the van and heard bubbling:Doh:

I would have though you'd be better looking to replace with a Yank unit as your wiring will likely be more suited, but a picture of the current unit may give a better idea, though I suppose if practical a zig type might cover more bases, except the 110 requirement. That would tend to reafirm to me stick with a Yank unit fed from a proper 240-110 convertor, not the yellow site box route, bit like A Frames, lets not restart that old discussion:Doh:

Seen a few Yank units on the bay recently and I think there is a proper 240-110 on thier somewhere, and periodically you'll find someone breaking a Yank so another (possibly cheaper) option, of course you could just call the likes of Duncan or Linda and see what they have got?

Good luck:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi .. welcome back from the wilderness :roflmto:

sounds like the yank 12v power / battery charger is stuffed

as you are aware this is a 110v jobbie.. now, you have two choices..

a) replace like for like, ie another 110v - 12v charger ..
b) replace with a UK 230v - 12v unit

Option b) is preferred for two reasons

1) It's cheaper with more choice of units.
2) It's less load on the 230/110v step down tranny.

Option b) is a straight swop except using a new feed from the 230v dist box. and connecting the output to the same place,

Forget Zig units.. ( spit) , look for a decent 230v / 20A or higher multistage charger ..

The KISS principal .. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Simon.. will get a pic soon..

I don't know.. feel like rebuilding the electrics somehow.. modern chargers are quiter and lighter and sohuld be easy to fit.. a newer 12v panel also shouldn't be a headache to fit .. just dont know.. will get mine out and make a more detailed prognosis..

The van came with a yellow brick, but I brought a better 110/240 240/110 for it, (originally so I could run the gen and get 240v back from there, as well as 110V on hook up) as it is, I took the gen out and doubt I will refit it.. yet again the modern equivalent would be a good retro fit..

will go on the bay later, this sort of part would be very easy to get in the states but over here, few and far between really..

Hi Jim :)

yes your option B was where I was going...

I will draw a logic diagram soon as to how things are at the moment..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back