Blast the folding ladder broke with first go (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Now on a yank we have these fantastic awnings by A & E, well most of us do. Only the latest posh RV's had the electric ones.. so I buy one of this screens that stop the wind..great it works, so the boss (Sue) wants the end panels.. yes great fun as Dodgy can tell you.. they are on long poles and are not reall designed for a yank.

Dodgy has this wonderful folding ladder.. He can get up and fix the pole with bungy ball things and it stayed in place all weekedn at Bath & West.. when we first put it up at Malvern it came down several times - yes it was windy I know....

So today Sue goes off to Screwfix which is just round the corner.. remember she has to use it not me as I am in the wheelchair..even I cannot climb ladders with that... home she comes £52 lighter in the bank account.. put it up and fot on the bottom step and ... yes snapped...

So back it goes and another one is now on order for 10.30 on Monday... one off? or will the replacement we like it I wonder. All this to fit the end wind screen.. at this rate it will have cost double the original cost and if it carries on it will be in the free box...

I love dealers :Angry: that tell you it will fit and have never really tried to do so on the type of van you tell them you have. Dodgy had this with the front screen and we only have it in place becasue we purchased in the USA a double side unit in the awning rail... again told it will fit when it just falls out of the slot... So am I a happy bunny this bright cold morning in Tunbridge Wells? no. wasted a good part of the morning on this problem.

Rant over......:Blush:

Bob:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Then you might be pleased to know I have come up with a simple solution to theses darned things,
As you say not deigned for a yank but easily adapted, if it works, and it should, it will do away with the steps
We can have a play at Lincoln:thumb: Wont describe it on here as I may want to patent it
Although Ive not decided on what colour yet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'll bring my camcorder and film the boys at play ::bigsmile:

The Geo & Bob Show could be the next big hit now that Big Brother is no more - and there's Ezzie for all the old dears to go "Aaaw" over.

Don't tell anybody about the idea though, they might pinch it.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Bob,

Not sure what you mean by 'falling out of the slot' does the edge of the blocker slide into a slot?

In which case maybe some figure of eight would do the trick.

Peter

Last edited:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
We have the wind screens you are talking about.

Our front screen slides straight in the awning rail and stays put.

What is different about yours that gives you a problem?

For our sides we use the safari room poles that hook on an eye on the rv and locate via a pin/hole on the awning arm. Works very well.
Should be a simple matter to alter the poles that you get free with the windblockers by adding a hook at one end, locating pin at the other. Drill a hole in the awning rail and screw a standard eye to the RV (Ladder needed for this but only once).
Then you can hook the pole on the van, extend and tighten after locating the pin in the awning rail

PS. got a link to the screwfix ladder?

Bryan

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my side unit

Hi Bob,

Not sure what you mean by 'falling out of the slot' does the edge of the blocker slide into a slot?

In which case maybe some figure of eight would do the trick.

Peter

Hi Peter (tried to get a heater from your place yesterday..see I do spend money with you..out of stock? ) anyway back to the side wind blocker... I have changed one end of the washing pole from a walking stick rubber to a larged swivel knot crutch rubber (do not ask.. I will show anyone if they wish to see).. then the other end pushes in to between the A & E fabric on the awning and the roller. But still blows out.. Dodgy found a way to fit his by using the bungy with the balls on them and using three of them round the long A & E awning arm that comes from the top of the RV to the roller... hence in a wheelchair I cannot reach it... so Sue (the Boss) who is very unsafe on anying more than 2" off the ground has to have a step ladder.. that is another story as transporting one in my RV is not easy..so we went for the Screw fix fold up one..not light, but is narrow to carry... the one that broke as soon as she put her foot on the bottom run.

B&Q list it as 150 kgs and Screw fix at 90 kgs...(same item).. I am not allowed to discuss Sue's weight... more than my life is worth, which is not a lot..but it is mine still:ROFLMAO:.. anyway Screw fix will have another in stock for 10.30 on Monday..we will test it again.

But I am interested in any help at Lincoln with this problem... we could not do it at Bath and West as we were on hard standing with no way to pin the side down (Ok for the front as that overhanged the grass). .. Roger very kindly made sure I had hard standing for the wheelchair use around the RV.- thanks Roger, AKA Wildman):thumb:.

p.s Peter found a similar gas heater at Argos .. but will wait and see what is at Lincoln.. just wanted to have some heat outside the van when we sit about some evenings when the chill starts...

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
will have a look at this idea

We have the wind screens you are talking about.

Our front screen slides straight in the awning rail and stays put.

What is different about yours that gives you a problem?

For our sides we use the safari room poles that hook on an eye on the rv and locate via a pin/hole on the awning arm. Works very well.
Should be a simple matter to alter the poles that you get free with the windblockers by adding a hook at one end, locating pin at the other. Drill a hole in the awning rail and screw a standard eye to the RV (Ladder needed for this but only once).
Then you can hook the pole on the van, extend and tighten after locating the pin in the awning rail

PS. got a link to the screwfix ladder?

Bryan
Link Removed

I will have a look at Lincoln when I put the awning up and see if I can somehow fix it to the awning roller... But I have a feeling the way Dodgy did it may be the answer... but will still need the ladder each time.. but then it would be useful to do the upper flappers, we have 4 we use and Sue has to strech to reach the upper ones.. I can do the lower ones from the wheelchair before the awning is put to oporation height.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ezzie always stills the show

I'll bring my camcorder and film the boys at play ::bigsmile:

The Geo & Bob Show could be the next big hit now that Big Brother is no more - and there's Ezzie for all the old dears to go "Aaaw" over.

Don't tell anybody about the idea though, they might pinch it.

Graham

Hi Graham

Ezzie always stills the show.. she is always being stroked as we go round the shows..everyones best friend.

I can just imagine someone trying to film us setting up camp.. wheelchairs in motion:RollEyes: look mum no hands:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bob:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Quote - larged swivel knot crutch rubber then the other end pushes in to between . But still blows out.. Dodgy found a way to fit his by using the bungy with the balls on them and using three of them - Quote

By heck Bob - reading this made me eyes water at the thought :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I look forward to hearing about it at Lincoln

Then you might be pleased to know I have come up with a simple solution to theses darned things,
As you say not deigned for a yank but easily adapted, if it works, and it should, it will do away with the steps
We can have a play at Lincoln:thumb: Wont describe it on here as I may want to patent it
Although Ive not decided on what colour yet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

I am waiting with abated breath.. you have me all excited now:Blush:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Link Removed

I will have a look at Lincoln when I put the awning up and see if I can somehow fix it to the awning roller... But I have a feeling the way Dodgy did it may be the answer... but will still need the ladder each time.. but then it would be useful to do the upper flappers, we have 4 we use and Sue has to strech to reach the upper ones.. I can do the lower ones from the wheelchair before the awning is put to oporation height.

Weather permitting take a look at my solution for the sides. No ladders needed at all once installed, just hook them in at the top and locate a pin in the awning roller - simple.

As for the awning de-flappers I too use four and the top two are a stretch form me. But I'd get away with a small step and usually use a chair to stand on to manage those.

Bryan

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
How heavy is your wife, was she within the weight limit? Some are restricted to 150kg, well the telescopic ones are.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
must be joking - tell you how heavy?

How heavy is your wife, was she within the weight limit? Some are restricted to 150kg, well the telescopic ones are.

Have you a sadistic desires? she .. the boss .. Sue would hang, draw and quarter me if I let that out of the bag... lets say she is under the 150 kgs but may be more than the 90 kgs, but I am not saying:winky: I want to live honestly:Blush:.. good job she does not read to many of the posts.:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham

Ezzie always stills the show.. she is always being stroked as we go round the shows..everyones best friend.

I can just imagine someone trying to film us setting up camp.. wheelchairs in motion:RollEyes: look mum no hands:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bob:thumb:

Definitely have to try to get there before you for that treat Bob :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I won't stroke Ezzie though - I'm allergic to dogs ::bigsmile:

Graham

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
she has a wet nose

Definitely have to try to get there before you for that treat Bob :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I won't stroke Ezzie though - I'm allergic to dogs ::bigsmile:

Graham

Graham you can always rub noses if you do not want to stroke her.. I am sure I do not mind, and I expect Ezzie will not as she is always putting her nose where we tell he to not to ..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if you follow me? Oh dear better stop as this is a family site.

anyway Sue has told me to get off the computer now... yes dear, coming dear...

Bob:Blush:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
What is the ladder weight limit though?

She may look slim but have heavy bones ::bigsmile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have just (at Shepton) ordered one of those frighteningly expensive Safari rooms for my carefree awning, Bob you did warn me I might just spend a little on this motor home:Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is debateable - you a diplomat by any chance?

What is the ladder weight limit though?

She may look slim but have heavy bones ::bigsmile:

It all depends..B&Q have it at 150kgs and Srewfix has it at 95kgs... same item, just cheaper and in stock at Screwfix...well was when the first one was purchased before the bottom rung broke... new one tomorrow at 10.30 they say.

Now that is a good point of view is it big bones or just heavy... but I am not saying one way or the other.... I myself have lost 6.5 stone in the last 18 months so I am not small... but then I cannot climb the ladder.:RollEyes:

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yea and the rest???

I have just (at Shepton) ordered one of those frighteningly expensive Safari rooms for my carefree awning, Bob you did warn me I might just spend a little on this motor home:Doh::Doh:

Come on Rick, how many items have you purchased for the gin palace :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: since and including Malvern? or does Rosie read the posts as well? I bet it is more than you thought when you first purchased the RV. Beleive me Rick as others will tell you that it never stops. Like having kids, you never think of the expense and look what they cost you over the years... last week it was a new bike for the grandaughter... I rest my case m'lud.:Blush:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
It all depends..B&Q have it at 150kgs and Srewfix has it at 95kgs... same item, just cheaper and in stock at Screwfix...well was when the first one was purchased before the bottom rung broke... new one tomorrow at 10.30 they say.

Now that is a good point of view is it big bones or just heavy... but I am not saying one way or the other.... I myself have lost 6.5 stone in the last 18 months so I am not small... but then I cannot climb the ladder.:RollEyes:

Two things there - I weigh under 90kg (Just:ROFLMAO:) so I will say positively there is no way Sue is heavier than me unless she has solid gold fillings and lead in her bones :thumb:

Red wine - cheese and biscuits :Eeek:- you'd better loose another stone before end next week Bob otherwise you may have to revise that weight loss :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back