Airstream Introduces New Class B (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Airstream Introduces New Class B
2011 Airstream Avenue is Built on the Chevrolet 3500 Series Express Chassis

MotorHome, September 17, 2010

RV manufacturer Airstream has teamed up with Chevrolet to introduce the new Airstream Avenue Class B motorhome for 2011

Link Removed

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gkUtAYQiVM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gkUtAYQiVM[/ame]

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Nice bit of kit Jim, wonder how much it would cost on a sprinter chassis and made in Europe to the same spec?.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nice bit of kit Jim, wonder how much it would cost on a sprinter chassis and made in Europe to the same spec?.

Yes, it is nice, there is a definite trend ( in the US ) to smaller and more economical motorhomes..

There is no mention on the Airstream UK website of a European variant .. but it has a Merc engine / gearbox so it may be on the cards.

more info here on the US site

http://www.airstream.com/products/2010-fleet/touring-coaches/interstate.html

3500 DAIMLER CHRYSLER SPRINTER VAN W/UNIBODY CONSTRUCTION

MERCEDES - 3.0 LITER TURBO CHARGED V-6 DIESEL

280 FT/LB @ 1200 - 2400 RPM 154 H.P. @ 3400 RPM

MERCEDES - 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC W/AUTOSTICK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it looks like a re badged sprinter

It looks very much like a re badged sprinter to me. I have seen several other makers doing this with the International badge, but still a merc sprinter as the base vehicle. Only problem Jim it is very much a van conversion at heart. An overgown day van... Not what I would call a true breed B class like the Winnebago B class or many of the others in that style.

Nice item and would not say no to it, but it is not a real airstream in my books. If you look back to the A class and the trailer that has that distinctive roundness they have just produced a vehicle that in a class that many other have been doing for a long time.. just my humble view.

Bob:thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Very similar to the Roadtrek which I have always thought a great piece of kit. If I was a single traveller that type of B class weekender van would suit me perfectly.

Not that I have any plans to lose the lovely current Mrs Jinks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

She might though :Eeek:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nice item and would not say no to it, but it is not a real airstream in my books. If you look back to the A class and the trailer that has that distinctive roundness they have just produced a vehicle that in a class that many other have been doing for a long time.. just my humble view.

Absolutely Bob .. don't look like one.. but it MAY have the build quality .. I adore the trailer trailers..

maybe this was your dream .. :winky:

Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Give me the original any day

Absolutely Bob .. don't look like one.. but it MAY have the build quality .. I adore the trailer trailers..

maybe this was your dream .. :winky:

Link Removed

This van conversion is not a million miles away from the Pleasure way, and as I said a few other makers that have decided to use the sprinter and re badge it. A few years back, I had the chance to look at an airstream RV A class and I was impressed with the build.. way up with some of the top end coaches (based on American buses) like Provest and Beaver.

I have of course seen the air stream trailers (who has not).. they are great items. But this van conversion seems to be a lot of leather, small toilet, but what can you get in this size van which all said and done is a European based unit. It does remind me of the Winnebago Rialto (except no slide loo).. typical day van bed which does not look to comfortable. I know from my own days of a Dodge Ram 250 day van how poor the bed was. But I think I would still like to have a Road trek or a pleasureway if I had the chance... but I love my B class Winnibago and have no desire to chop it in yet.

But looking is good.

Bob:Eeek::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim last year there was a similar van ( yes it is a re badged sprinter ) cannot remember who it was made by ( yank may be winnie bago ? ) and that was $78,000 if my memory is right -- It was on here somewhere :roflmto: :thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I recon there are about 20k worth of bits plus van plus say 10 k to fit it all so around 55 k / 60 tops
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
and a bit more

I recon there are about 20k worth of bits plus van plus say 10 k to fit it all so around 55 k / 60 tops
terry

A pleasureway or a new Roadtrek come in the top end of $100k and that is without shipping etc., this RV will be more like £90k

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Link Removed
as Bob says :ROFLMAO:
I remember your posting Jim but also remember a posting for the above or similar :thumb:
terry
http://www.roadtrek.com/#

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
has any one a photo of the A class Airstream?

When I think of Airstream these come to mind..:Cool:

Link Removed

Yes that is what we all expect..but has anyone got a photo of the A class RV lurking about to show how impressive it was.. still had the rounded shape.

I just do not think of the van conversion to be a real Airstream, but they are trying to cover the market and hence if everyone else has a van conversion in the stable they have to have it... Better leaving it the Sherrods, Pleasureway and Road Trek who know how to make day vans and the like..

Would you pay £60k for a UK van version? doubt it.. I think when I see one in the £40k mark at shows how silly compared to what I got my B class Winnibago for and what I got as standard compared to a van conversion with silly caravan windows fitted. Very few of the van conversions does it for me.

I do look at them at the shows to see what is on offer, but sorry chaps I am a real RV person not a wanabee... Ok I can hear the arguements about size and you can shop with it and it fits my drive etc., horses for courses. But this Airstream is not very impressive except for the leather seats. - Why have seating for 8 when you can only sleep 2 people.:Cool:

Bob:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
good point jim

how many seats does you're RV have Bob?

mine had eleven, eight belted .

but it could only sleep 6 .. unless you are into three in a bed :roflmto:

sleeps 4 and has 7 belted seats and 2 non belted seat.. so 9, but sleeeps 4

Bob

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
but has anyone got a photo of the A class RV lurking about to show how impressive it was.. still had the rounded shape.

There is a member on RVOC who has a 1983 Airstream Classic very similar to below. Beautiful looking RV :thumb:

1982_310_g01.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back