Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Private Heavy Goods Vehicle MOT Advice Required

Next year I intend to import an army truck ( 12 Ton ) that will eventually be converted to a Motorhome.

Upon arrival into the UK it will be down plated to 7490 Kgs and will be come a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle.

My question is what catagory of MOT will this vehicle require.

I know that when it is eventually re classed as a motorhome after its construction it will be a class 4 ( Car ) MOT

I cannot find out if this is also the case when it is a PHG Flat bed truck under 7500 kg

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Neil

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be wrong but i think it will be a class VII even if it is registered as PHG, until the conversion is complete and registered as such, then it becomes class IV.

have you considered the payload implications of downplating by over a third of its grossweight.

the bare truck may weigh near on 7500kg to start with...the army dont make them out of meccano ya know !!:ROFLMAO:... and then the conversion weight to add to that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
It will be tight on the payload front but its physically not a big vehicle, 7 Mtrs. ( its just built like an ox)

Im not the first to use this vehicle as a base and other have manged to keep it under the 7500 kg mark

Neil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a friend of mine imported a russian 'Ural' army truck for convertion, and they are built like the proverbial brick s...house. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sure someone who really knows for sure but at last MOT I was told by the man that all motorhomes come under a type 4 MOT

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sure someone who really knows for sure but at last MOT I was told by the man that all motorhomes come under a type 4 MOT

agreed john but Neils question was what class will it need testing as BEFORE the conversion......HGV class VII in my opinion.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Neil and others
Unfortunatly Neil is talking next year and at the moment as im sure some of you may know,but others wont
Vosa and the Dept for Transport are right in the middle of a major shake up of re classifcation of HGV and PHGV vehicles:RollEyes:
I will speak to the powers that be tomorrow to see what impact any changes
may or are likely to have on this type of project
Watch this space

Some may wonder what these changes are
I belive they think we have got too clever in interpreting the current rules.
there plan is to make it so no one has the correct licence to drive anything, thereby enhancing the revenue to make up for the speed camera short fall
Cynical or what??
you betcha
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Next year I intend to import an army truck ( 12 Ton ) that will eventually be converted to a Motorhome.

Upon arrival into the UK it will be down plated to 7490 Kgs and will be come a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle.

My question is what catagory of MOT will this vehicle require.

I know that when it is eventually re classed as a motorhome after its construction it will be a class 4 ( Car ) MOT

I cannot find out if this is also the case when it is a PHG Flat bed truck under 7500 kg

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Neil

Hi again Neil
Following my conversation with VOSA today
they inform me that regardless of it purpose eventually, ie motorhome Class4
It will upon entyry to the UK reguire a full Vosa HGV test as it is/will be over 3500kg when registered, the PHGV designation does not alter that fact
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is the PHGV just the road tax issue?

Hi again Neil
Following my conversation with VOSA today
they inform me that regardless of it purpose eventually, ie motorhome Class4
It will upon entyry to the UK reguire a full Vosa HGV test as it is/will be over 3500kg when registered, the PHGV designation does not alter that fact
Geo

When my 4,899 kgs Winnibago was first registered the road tax was PLGV then they sent me a new road tax disc asking for the other one back and it was issued as PHGV (cheaper road tax as it happens)..

Mine is a Class IV for test purposes as clearly shown on the VT20 Mot test Certificate issued by VOSA - they issued it when the vehicle was registered - previously MOT'd on the chassis number when imported. When the registration was done the new document came back with the registration document and shows it is Class IV the registration document says Private HGV

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks Geo and everyone who has helped.

It wasn't quite the answer i would have preferred but at least I now know wher we stand and what need to be done ..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When my 4,899 kgs Winnibago was first registered the road tax was PLGV then they sent me a new road tax disc asking for the other one back and it was issued as PHGV (cheaper road tax as it happens)..

Mine is a Class IV for test purposes as clearly shown on the VT20 Mot test Certificate issued by VOSA - they issued it when the vehicle was registered - previously MOT'd on the chassis number when imported. When the registration was done the new document came back with the registration document and shows it is Class IV the registration document says Private HGV

Bob:Eeek:
You are quite right Bob and so will Neils, WHEN its converted to a motor home
But untill it is:Doh: its a proper HGV mot, even though it will be first,registered as a private HGV, there is no concession on test class.

Untill its a Motorhome its a lorry:RollEyes:

Class 4 -as you know is any Motorhome regardless of weight
Class 7- goods vehicleis and some "Living Vans"only up to 3500KG
Over 3500means a HGV MoT, Unless its a motorhome (Class 4)
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
useful info

You are quite right Bob and so will Neils, WHEN its converted to a motor home
But untill it is:Doh: its a proper HGV mot, even though it will be first,registered as a private HGV, there is no concession on test class.

Untill its a Motorhome its a lorry:RollEyes:

Class 4 -as you know is any Motorhome regardless of weight
Class 7- goods vehicleis and some "Living Vans"only up to 3500KG
Over 3500means a HGV MoT, Unless its a motorhome (Class 4)
Geo

Useful info.. make it easier to understand when it is explained this way.

Bob:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As I said earlier VOSA and the Transport dept are looking into doing away with a lot of the exemtpions in place at the moment, such as Recovery MOT exempt vehicles, Showmans type MOT exempt vehicles etc etc
the reasoning behind the changes is to do with EU regulations and what they term as fairness for all After all a showmans vehicle or recovery vehicle is still used on the public roads,why should tey be exempt from testing, they should be maintained to the same standard anyway:winky: so its just a test they need:RollEyes:
VOSA have it on record that some 40,000 vehicles are now running around with MOT exemption certificates:Eeek:
Along with these changes will be some re classifications, they may even make Heavy Motorhomes HGV testable:cry::cry::cry:
So the answer is only good for a while:Doh:
Personaly I think a VOSA test is easierto get through than your average MOT stations test, they are mor confident than your average tester and are happy to pass and advise on more:thumb:
The down side is, long booking in times/apointments and much higher fees
Although I think,thanks to some relaxations some private "Designated Places" other than Vosa premisses can be used, Im not fully up on HGV testing regs as I dont use them on a day to day basis:Sad:
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
mine was tested at a Merc garage for HGV's

As I said earlier VOSA and the Transport dept are looking into doing away with a lot of the exemtpions in place at the moment, such as Recovery MOT exempt vehicles, Showmans type MOT exempt vehicles etc etc
the reasoning behind the changes is to do with EU regulations and what they term as fairness for all After all a showmans vehicle or recovery vehicle is still used on the public roads,why should tey be exempt from testing, they should be maintained to the same standard anyway:winky: so its just a test they need:RollEyes:
VOSA have it on record that some 40,000 vehicles are now running around with MOT exemption certificates:Eeek:
Along with these changes will be some re classifications, they may even make Heavy Motorhomes HGV testable:cry::cry::cry:
So the answer is only good for a while:Doh:
Personaly I think a VOSA test is easierto get through than your average MOT stations test, they are mor confident than your average tester and are happy to pass and advise on more:thumb:
The down side is, long booking in times/apointments and much higher fees
Although I think,thanks to some relaxations some private "Designated Places" other than Vosa premisses can be used, Im not fully up on HGV testing regs as I dont use them on a day to day basis:Sad:
Geo

I had my RV tested at a Mercedes Benz garage in Eastbourne and I lined up with tippers, horse boxes and even a fire engine. Took 45 minutes and I had to book in a week or so before and got a set time to be there. They knew there eggs on a yank right down to the type of foot/handbrake unit and even checked that before I was on the pit. About the same price as my car mot.

The garage that does my general work runs a fleet of wreckers on the A21 and have 9 American big rigs - they tell me none have MOT's and all told they have a lot of other breakdown trucks as well. So I can see the point of needing tests for them, but to be honest this company - Mick Goulds - is also a Renault truck dealer and he babies those trucks and he has a Winnebago himself and is a American car fan..hence my RV is worked on by his people.. he recommended the MOT place in Eastbourne as all the trucks that have to be tested go there from his place... Plus I had a pre MOT the day before (cost more than the actual MOT.. but better to be safe than sorry - I needed a track rod packed out with greese while a new one was shipped in - now long fitted).

But I hear what you say about changes on the way.

Bob:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
any reputable independant breakdown company will maintain their fleet to the point of obsession.

the garage i worked for had , apart from daily tyre and fluid checks, a weekly inspection check on all vehicles...spec lift, slidebed and flatbeds...followed by a 4 weekly in depth visual check and an 8 weekly major full service (except oil and filters)and, for piece of mind, ALL were MOT'd at the local ministry/vosa site even through exempt.

those trucks had more service history than any other vehicle i've ever seen but when your business relies on them its not a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back