Wild Camping on Friend's Drives? (1 Viewer)

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Hi Folks,

I'm planning a trip from my Sussex base to visit a friend in Aberdeen, hopefully visiting other friends en-route. This is principally a shake down cruise for the MH, before taking a trip to Switzerland to collect some aircraft parts.

Is there an etiquette to night stopping on friend's drives? Are there any pitfalls that are not obvious to the uninitiated? I've figured that it's not a good idea to share a few bottles of wine in the evening, then weave off up the A1 looking for a lay-by to sleep it off.

Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Happy Traveling,
Richard W.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Best not to open your waste tap on their drive.

Make sure cassette does not leak on their lounge carpet when you go to dump it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is there an etiquette to night stopping on friend's drives?

Happy Traveling,
Richard W.

Well, if you want to remain friends here are some do's and don'ts

* do not dump grey water on the drive
* if offered an EHU, do not suck it dry ..
* do not drive on the lawn
* no wheel spins on the gravel
* no awnings, it upsets the neighbours
* do not put out chairs and table or light a BBQ
* don't dump the cassette down the loo or the storm water drain
* don't wake them up at 7am if you trip the house supply.. they will find out soon enough
* don't fill their bin with your rubbish or leave your empty bottles by the drive

(tongue firmly in cheek) :roflmto:

EDIT

great minds.. just beat me to it Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
All the other things others have said:Eeek::Eeek: but a sleepy spot for you off the A1, sign post for Castle Bytham, mile on the road, Morkery Wood very quiet:thumb:

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Dumb question time...

Many thanks for the replies, tongue in cheek and otherwise. I must check that the gray water dump valve is closed (based on a farm at the moment where it's not an issue).

I guess being parked for an easy get away, so that the neighbors aren't woken up by the 'van maneuvering, would be a good idea.

Serious question - do you dump the cassette down the loo at home? Are there problems due to volume of solids etc? This is probably dumb question - spot the Newbie...

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Serious question - do you dump the cassette down the loo at home? Are there problems due to volume of solids etc? This is probably dumb question - spot the Newbie...

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

Better of lifting a manhole cover if you have one, dump down there and flush the loo`s in the house just to make sure you have a load of water to help it on it`s way,, just in case you dont have a lot of flow in the soil pipe/drain.. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Better of lifting a manhole cover if you have one, dump down there and flush the loo`s in the house just to make sure you have a load of water to help it on it`s way,, just in case you dont have a lot of flow in the soil pipe/drain.. :thumb:

I'd go along with that.. :thumb:

also, nothing worse than blue splashes all over the bathroom, then having the nerve to clean the cassette in the bath ...:Doh:

I wonder who did that :Blush:

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Thanks for the info. I'll take my life (and my cassette) in my hands and give it a try!

Cheers,
Richard W.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Caution .. best check with Brian whether the Bio Magic is taken orally or anally :winky:

:roflmto:

Well they do say put some in a spray and use it for general disinfecting.

AND, they claim that in an emergency it's perfectly safe to dump your cassette in a hedgerow. Not a good idea in your mate's drive.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
they claim that in an emergency it's perfectly safe to dump your cassette in a hedgerow.

I bet that's not endorsed by the CC :roflmto:

not many hedgerows in Morocco Brian :winky: (as you know)

when I asked about dumping a rather full black tank that had been fomenting for about a week the 'guide' pointed to a road gully ... don't ask :RollEyes:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Well, if you want to remain friends here are some do's and don'ts

* do not dump grey water on the drive
* if offered an EHU, do not suck it dry ..
* do not drive on the lawn
* no wheel spins on the gravel
* no awnings, it upsets the neighbours
* do not put out chairs and table or light a BBQ
* don't dump the cassette down the loo or the storm water drain
* don't wake them up at 7am if you trip the house supply.. they will find out soon enough
* don't fill their bin with your rubbish or leave your empty bottles by the drive

(tongue firmly in cheek) :roflmto:

That sounds like most of the campers I have had on site this year :Doh::Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a downstairs loo and use that for emptying the cassette if/when necessary. Also have an outside tap which we use with a short length of hose for rinsing the cassette. Tap isn't far from loo so easy peasy.

Graham

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We have a downstairs loo and use that for emptying the cassette if/when necessary. Also have an outside tap which we use with a short length of hose for rinsing the cassette. Tap isn't far from loo so easy peasy.

Graham
Well thats worth knowing if im ever on teeside:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd go along with that.. :thumb:

also, nothing worse than blue splashes all over the bathroom, then having the nerve to clean the cassette in the bath ...:Doh:

I wonder who did that :Blush:
:Blush: every time....but no blue splash's.
and i use the shower hose with head removed to swill it out....NO! not inside the tank :Doh: :Eeek:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi Folks,

I'm planning a trip from my Sussex base to visit a friend in Aberdeen, hopefully visiting other friends en-route. This is principally a shake down cruise for the MH, before taking a trip to Switzerland to collect some aircraft parts.

Is there an etiquette to night stopping on friend's drives? Are there any pitfalls that are not obvious to the uninitiated? I've figured that it's not a good idea to share a few bottles of wine in the evening, then weave off up the A1 looking for a lay-by to sleep it off.

Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Happy Traveling,
Richard W.

if your heading up the A19 north then you can stop off at Dalton Piercy
i have a plot of land there just let me know

yours ian

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Trip Report

Many thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm pleased to report a very pleasant six day trip as far as the Moray Firth, without upsetting any of the friends I stayed with en-route. Most were impressed with the MH and a few might be thinking about going that way themselves.

Now to start planning the Swiss trip to exchange the aircraft parts I picked up on this one...

Thanks again eveyone.

Richard W.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now to start planning the Swiss trip to exchange the aircraft parts I picked up on this one...

Richard W.

No harship planning a trip to Switzerland but you'd better hurry or else buy snow chains.

I've got to ask, what plane bits warrant driving half way across Europe and back for ?

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Wing Struts

Hi Brian,

It's something of a long story and is actually just an excuse for a jolly across France and Switzerland.

My partner has an Aeronca Champ, unfortunately she had an engine failure a couple of years ago ( http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Aeronca%207AC%20Champion,%20G-TECC%2012-08.pdf if interested) and we are rebuilding the aeroplane. We acquired a pair of wings and fittings from a Swiss guy who was upgrading his aeroplane. Unfortunately the shipment of his new parts from the 'States missed out the rear wing struts, which arrived later. He's been too busy to fly over and get the new parts, so I've collected the his new ones during the recent Scottish trip and we'll take them over and exchange them for 'our' ones around the middle of October.

Any thoughts on the best place to buy snow chains for a Ducato based MH?

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian,
It's something of a long story and is actually just an excuse for a jolly across France and Switzerland.

Any thoughts on the best place to buy snow chains for a Ducato based MH?

Richard W.

Not too bad an effort for a power pilot at 1200 feet. You don't get much time from 1200' in a brick.

That report looked flawed to me, would the loss of a single cylinder stop an engine dead without warning ?

Can't help with the snow chains or whether you would need them if you stick to motorways. You would need a vignette to go on the motorways.

If weather is a problem Plan B, Switzerland is small, meet up somewhere outside the snow, let him do the snow chain bit, he'll be used to it.

For those who have never seen one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GeYZHlpCFM[/ame]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
not many hedgerows in Morocco Brian :winky: (as you know)

You say that but I was gobsmacked at northern Morocco, it was a green and lush as England. I did not expect that at all.

Then the "magnificent Roman ruins" Ray took us to ( he can't have seen Pompeii or Herculanium ) was built for grape production.

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Forced Landing etc.

Hi Brian,

Not too bad an effort for a power pilot at 1200 feet. You don't get much time from 1200' in a brick.
Nic has the advantage of being a glider pilot who defected to the dark side. She was originally instructing in gliders both here and in the USA. In fact she has one rather odd licence, an FAA Commercial Pilot Licence (Sailplanes).

That report looked flawed to me, would the loss of a single cylinder stop an engine dead without warning ?
Bear in mind that with a Continental and in fact most small aero engines, the carb is mounted on a manifold below the engine. Fuel / air mixture is then distributed from this chamber to each cylinder. Given the very white state of all the exhausts and the plugs, it did seem to be affecting all cylinders. We originally thought the problem was carburettor icing, a well known problem with these engines and very difficult to prove as the ice has melted by the time you get to look at the engine.

Thanks for the nice YouTube link. Good to see a Champ in original paint scheme and in concourse condition. You may be interested in this website:

Link Removed

Some nice aeroplanes, including lots of Champs. Actually Nic is in there, but with the Jodel D120 she is using until her beloved Champ is back in the air.

We are often in Headcorn in Kent, so if anyone sees us, come over and say hi. I'll probably be flying my Rans S6 (G-BUWK) and hopefully Nic will be back in G-TECC.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

ChampChump

Free Member
Sep 17, 2010
Hellfire Corner
Funster No
MH
Pass. in OH's
Well, since I seem to be getting a mention, hi guys. As Richard has explained pretty much everything about everything, I'm only here to ask what exactly it is Hilldweller is sitting in...? It would appear to be fibreglass but beyond that, my anorak powers desert me. I started flying on vintage gliders so never got much involved with the hotships and subsequently gravitated (errrr....) to vintage aeroplanes.

nic

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
interesting reading the crash report Nic .. dont think I have read one before...

hope the plane is coming back together ok.

is that really hilldweller in the pic? I had him down as much older than that ;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm only here to ask what exactly it is Hilldweller is sitting in...
nic

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is 3000.
The glider, the base and next door Bruntingthorpe roughly where I took the mugshot.
I'll bet you wished your old bird flew like the Junior when it all went quiet.

Attachments

• HusBos1.JPG
    HusBos1.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 12
  • HB_PICT0006.jpg
    HB_PICT0006.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 12
  • HB_PICT0014.jpg
    HB_PICT0014.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 13

johng

Free Member