New to all this ( a heartfelt explanation ) (1 Viewer)

brookwalker

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Funster No
A "shortish" explanation from the heart of a man, his wife and their as yet unexpecting Old English Sheepdog Izzy to enter the dream or maybe nightmare of full time RVing.

Im gobsmacked by your many unexpected replies. Thank you all and that was my first attempt at using this site and "Wow it is by far the best site I have been on to date in my quest to check out my dream.

As you could tell from my first cry for help and advice regarding my escape from the "norm of life" I will now let you know what is at the heart of our desire to RV full time.

Now 47 we both started working at 17 got jobs moved jobs found new jobs and fell in love got married and moved jobs and bought a house and got a better job and fell out of love with both our jobs and now hate both our jobs. ( I hope im making a good job of explaning how we feel ).

And yes i think we are mad at even the thought of leaving our jobs and selling our house and lovely little garden and company car to live in an RV what the hell are we thinking of and the dog a large old english sheepdog how the hell is he going to feel when he knows he cant run outside and drink from the fishpond.

But the conundrum here is not can we do it or afford it but how long can you count the 2,387 bricks and 6 windows that make up this prison we work god knows how many hours to keep. how oftern do I look out the windows of my company car and wonder what the hell im doing here and will i make it to the end of the day without wanting to heave up and throw out a string of abuse and moans and groans and winge at life cos im borred with not being me and simply being a part of the rat race tribe.

Thowing away all we have worked nearly 30 years for. for what may only last a few years ! are we stark raving mad. Are we ? let me know your thoughts

One final thought for you to ponder on. My TV hero and funniest man on television has always been Richard Wilson as Rictor Meldrew - One Foot In The Grave. If you understand the part he is playing ( my opinion ). is a man who has worked all his life and now has little left to enjoy other than the sound of his own voice. he makes it seem funny and we all love him for it ( I think ! ) but dont forget we are on the outside looking in. Well I dont mind being on the inside as long as I can now looking outside.

Well in some ways I want to be victor and in other ways I dont I have a good outlook on life but now need something new exciting and yes risky its that or in 20 years time wondering how many more times can I count those 2,387 bricks ?

Talk to me we wana do this but dont have to ! and seem to have found a new lease of life before we have even done it

Ps I remember about 12 years ago I was in a works canteen and one of the cleeners Tony was his name. Was so excited about retiring NEXT WEEK. Two days later he died of a heart attack.

To be continued..... iIf any one wants me to.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to motorhome fun

Theres loads of information on fulltiming so have a look through the forums within this site and ask as many questions as you want as there is bound to be someone who can help.

Good luck with it xxxxxxxxxx

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Welcome Brookwalker

Sounds familiar :winky: we have been fulltiming for 6 years having decided that the house owner and 9-5 job was not making us happy .
We started off with 2 dogs ,, this is now 4 having adopted 2 more ,( we have also fostered for a lurcher rescue over the years )so you should be fine with Izzy .
We are very lucky to have found a great site in Lincolnshire that allows us to put a large windbreak pen up as a garden for the dogs .( the little ones spend most of their time off-lead on site )
As you are still going to need money have you considered what you can do to earn it , most fulltimers we know work , Duncan took various jobs until we started our own business 4 1/2 years ago
You will find it much easier with an RV with slideouts as Izzy is not a small dog so do look into licensing requirements .
Good luck :Smile:
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Hi Brookwalker,

I understand your feelings,in fact I do belive it.

I am 54, at 34 I suffered my first heart attack, 36 I had my second, on my 40th they let me out of hospital after my 3rd attack.

So what did i do, retire, and bought the motorbike of my dreams, then spent the next 12 years travelling all over the uk and parts of europe.

Then due to ill heath, the wifes and mine we got our first van, we just picked up our 4th and hopefully final van yesterday, that makes 4 in 4 years.

Live for today is my motto, go for it now dont waste time thinking about it.

The down side is money is always short and I am a kept man as the wife still has to work, but most fridays I meet her from work with the dog and we are off.

I hope you realise your dream

Nick

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hiya welcome to MHF.

You say are you mad ? and you want to know our thoughts ?

Well I dont think you are mad , at all , but personally i wouldn't do it, full timing that is.
Unless i really had to.
Meaning that we had no money , apart from the equity in the house , and not enough equity in the house to downsize to a smaller property, in a nice area leaving a nice chunk to do as we wish with. Breath :Smile:

We love motorhoming , dont get me wrong , we use ours virtually every weekend through out the year. Slotting in a week away here and there in the school holidays too. But even if we didn't have kids and we were comfortably able to retire, I dont think it would be for us.

Our idea of retired bliss , is to buy a smaller house in a nice little village , still big enough for the kids to come and visit for Sunday lunch , Xmas day in North Yorkshire maybe.
Get a little motorhome ( trading in ours ) just big enough for us 2 and the dogs ( or dog as it would be then:Sad:) and maybe the odd grandchild sometimes , then go off for long touring breaks for a couple of months at a time.
France Italy Spain Greece to start with. Not much to ask :roflmto::winky:
We cant wait , but dont want to wish now away either .
( We've decided , for now , to stick to the normal 2 week jumping on an aeroplane main holidays till we dont have the kids. Due to time restraints and 3 kids)

Theres lots of people that do full time though , and love it .
Also as you say theres lots of folk that get to retirement age and pop their clogs.
Maybe wishing they had done lots of things.

Hence another reason why we bought our motorhome .
Why wait till retirement to get one , if you can get one now ?

Whats that saying , "you should work to live , not live to work " or something like that . :Doh:
Only my opinion of course.
I also like a nice long soak in a red hot bath at wintertime:ROFLMAO:
Whether I'd still be able to get in and out of one , would be a different matter.

Bev

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we cannot have to Victor Meldrews out there

Hi,

Some would say I am Victor Meldrew, but that is a different story, I have had my Sloberadobabob added to a few times, like Sour Puss Bob or M'lud .. but that is because I do not agree with everyone else on a subject.

No being a full timer I cannot talk about that other than say I would aspire to it, but doubt I could do it.

I lover motor homing, have been doing it for over 20 years now. I have a yank and have had bigger yanks in the past. These days it is 24' long and a trailer plus the St Bernard, so dog wise I know what you mean.

I am retired and the wife keeps me these days (should always be that way in my book:ROFLMAO:.. wait for it:Blush:).. but seriously I retired and she works a couple days a week... pays for the fuel we use and puts a bowl of soup on the table...

We have lived in our RV for up to a month touring, we use it mainly for 4 day hits, Could I live in one full time? doubt it unless I went back to a very big yank, then I get all the issues about parking it and driving it in the UK. I went for a smaller yank to be able to use it more.

My disablity (other than being a clone of Victor Meldrew) means I have to know what I can and cannot do... age does not stop for any of us and Like you I live for today not tomorrow and the coffin... My father died 53 of the big C... he said to me it is not fair! I agree he was in the war, sunk 5 times and worked hard all his life to get to an age when things were better and bright for him to have it snatched away... Me I do not give a dam for tomorrow I live for now this moment.. the bill will still be there, but if you want to go full timing then my view is do it.

You will regret it if you do not if you give long enough that is:Eeek: But seriously you have to think about many issues which the full timers are better at talking about. But as for counting bricks, yes know what you mean..roll on Lincoln to have a good chat and a laugh again.. that is what it is all about.

This site keeps me sane (well I think so others may not agree?)

Best of luck whatever you do

Bob:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But the conundrum here is not can we do it or afford it but how long can you count the 2,387 bricks and 6 windows that make up this prison we work god knows how many hours to keep. how oftern do I look out the windows of my company car and wonder what the hell im doing here and will i make it to the end of the day without wanting to heave up and throw out a string of abuse and moans and groans and winge at life cos im borred with not being me and simply being a part of the rat race tribe.

Congratulations on identifying the deep poo you are in and the need to do something.

Before FUN you would probably had difficulty getting councelling, but here you are. You'll get a right councelling in here !

Is running away the right answer for you ? Will you be pig sick of 45 square metres of aluminium tin box with 6 windows in a few years or wonderfully happy ?

I don't know, but you need to "pretend" you are living in a tiny box now, limited facilities. Why not re-organise your house to live in just one small room. Blot out your job problem. Try and find what is your real problem in life.

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
Congratulations on identifying the deep poo you are in and the need to do something.

Before FUN you would probably had difficulty getting councelling, but here you are. You'll get a right councelling in here !

Is running away the right answer for you ? Will you be pig sick of 45 square metres of aluminium tin box with 6 windows in a few years or wonderfully happy ?

I don't know, but you need to "pretend" you are living in a tiny box now, limited facilities. Why not re-organise your house to live in just one small room. Blot out your job problem. Try and find what is your real problem in life.

It's possible that the job IS the problem! Having to do the same routine day in, day out, and not being able to get away for long because you're only permitted 3/4 weeks holiday a year, can be a lot of the problem. Realising you'll have to do this until you get old or drop dead can be a really scary concept.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's possible that the job IS the problem! Having to do the same routine day in, day out, and not being able to get away for long because you're only permitted 3/4 weeks holiday a year, can be a lot of the problem. Realising you'll have to do this until you get old or drop dead can be a really scary concept.

That sounds logical, but in that case running away in a small tin box might trade one problem for a worse one.

On the other hand a few million people in the UK would die for a reasonable job with a company car.

This is not the time to be burning bridges without a massive amount of thought.

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
That sounds logical, but in that case running away in a small tin box might trade one problem for a worse one.

On the other hand a few million people in the UK would die for a reasonable job with a company car.

This is not the time to be burning bridges without a massive amount of thought.

Indeed that small tin box could make it worse. My thoughts are it depends on whether you can get a better work/life balance at the same time, otherwise you'll simply be trading the office for the tin box, and then you're back to square one - or worse!

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with 'running away', you just need to be sure of what you're running away to!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Yes , the job or a big mortgage ?
Hence blaming the house counting the bricks ?
It could be lots of things.

Or it could be a mid life crisis
Our next door neighbor , who's 50 so just a little bit older than us , and the O.P. has just gone out and bought a red soft top sports car and leather jacket:ROFLMAO:
Or it could be just feeling that something needs to be done to change the boring routine of your day to day life , work ,home ,work, home Etc

Only you can decide.
If you do a post in the full timing section , your bound to get lots of support , saying yes go for it. best thing you could do etc.

Its a bit like joining a forum about emigrating to Oz , like we did :RollEyes:
Just dont get swept away with it all. Like we did:RollEyes:
Maybe take a sabbatical for a couple of months , in a motorhome.
See if you liked it.
We did a reccie to OZ for a month. In a MH by the way, realized before it was too late that it would be a great mistake.
Fortunately we had only gone through the great expense , and waste of lots of time of getting a visa .And of course the expense doing a reccie , hiring the MH traveling about meeting contacts.
Sad thing is , out of all the people we met on the migration forum , who were going through the same thing as us. Only a very small % are still there 3 years later.
Most are back here , most are skint , having sold everything to fund "following the dream". Some are stuck out there , not able to come back as they cant afford the move .
I still dip in to the forum and its still the same , people desperate to get a way from Britain for a better life style ......... Not realizing you can get it over here , you just need to rethink .
Only you can decide whats best for you.
Bev

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

That's a fact..

It's a steep learning curve.. many never make the grade, backsliding is common. I wish Fun had been here when I was planning and before I made my mistakes.. I learned the hard way ..

Read and heed the advice and if you decide to 'go for it' you CAN do it ..

Invest £10 for the subs.. it may well be the best tenner you ever spent. :thumb:

Only you can decide.
If you do a post in the full timing section , your bound to get lots of support , saying yes go for it. best thing you could do etc.

Its a bit like joining a forum about emigrating to Oz , like we did
Just dont get swept away with it all. Like we did

Good advice from Bev...

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
Yes , the job or a big mortgage ?

The two tend to go hand-in-hand, don't they? You get a good job so can afford a good-sized house. Then you have to pay the good-sized mortgage too, even when you can't stand the good job any more! We managed to avoid that one (more by luck than judgement!), but plenty of people don't!

Or it could be a mid life crisis

I do sometimes wonder whether that's what's happening with us! In reality we've had a couple of real wake-up calls recently, and it's really made us think!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I must admit have never thought about going full time, but possibly because I always enjoyed going to work.

Must admit I liked my work as a service engineer and made a lot of good friends in the customers I met and never wanted more.

Holiday travel in our motorhome did for me.

But can see the attraction of fulltiming, if after looking at the possible pitfalls and taken heed of advice given by people who have lived or are living what is the dream, and you still want to give it a go then do so or else it will eat away at you for ever, and you will never do anything else but regret your decision.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I'm a bit like DESCO. Ive always enjoyed work in fact I've loved it. Been to lots of places met lots of good people and been fascinated when engaged in R&D work.

Some of the Projects that Ive been involved with have been outstanding and I'll never forget them or the people that I worked with.

I retire in January and so my motivation isnt as great as it was, I cant stop thinkng about retirement.

We will never full time, we love our home and all of the memories that are embedded there, weve had a fantastic life with our kids and intend to carry on that way. We will go away for extended breaks but home is always were my heart will be.

Nought would be the same if we were all the same, strange inni :roflmto:

Jim

:thumb:

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Each to his own, we have just sold the house and are now at the end of our first week 'fulltiming' although this first week has been spent around the area we lived in to settle the house money/banks etc. so the next few weeks will tell!
We were fed up of working to keep the house to be able to go to work to keep the house and so it does.........!
Now we have no household bills to worry about....just MH bills:Eeek:
If you feel you must do it can you get an extended holiday for three to four weeks and try it!!??!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To quote the closing words of Honda's 'impossible dream' advert....

"What good is dreaming it, if you don't actually do it?"

if its what you want, then go for it !!!!! :thumb:

Bigwiz

Free Member
Sep 28, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year still newbies
Go for it

I think you should just go for it, after all this is not a rehearsal this is it, just the one go through. :thumb:

Me and the missus have taken to our early retirement like ducks to water, don't know where we ever found time for that work thing :winky:

If you can manage to live and be happy then go for it, what is the worst that can happen?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think you should just go for it, after all this is not a rehearsal this is it, just the one go through. :thumb:

Me and the missus have taken to our early retirement like ducks to water, don't know where we ever found time for that work thing :winky:

If you can manage to live and be happy then go for it, what is the worst that can happen?

Nothing wrong with early retirement .. I would fully endorse it,

but did you make yourself homeless and opt to live in a mobile tin box, giving up your family and friends, living on the road ?

This is not an option to be taken lightly without serious planning and the thought to the long term .. you are correct, it is not a rehearsal .. and you only get one go..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nothing wrong with early retirement .. I would fully endorse it, but did you make yourself homeless and opt to live in a mobile tin box, giving up your family and friends, living on the road ?
This is not an option to be taken lightly without serious planning and the thought to the long term .. you are correct, it is not a rehearsal .. and you only get one go..
Jim's been there done it he can give you good advice. :soaobox:My view is that selling all you have worked for at 47 years old to invest it into something that’s value will go into free fall as soon as you drive it from the garage is a fantasy it is a mid life crises forget about it, it will all end in tears.:cry:You sound like an intelligent couple that should be enjoying the fruits of your labors. If you want to spend time in a motor home then go out and get one, use it enjoy it then enjoy what you already have until your next trip away. :thumb:
Do you have a contingency plan or are you looking through rose tinted glasses:Cool:. Getting away for a couple of years is everyone’s dream but not everyone can realistically afford to do it.
Many couples would give their right arm to have what you have now, sit back and enjoy it. To burn your bridges could end in 40 years of regrets. :helptitanic:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim's been there done it he can give you good advice. :soaobox:My view is that selling all you have worked for at 47 years old to invest it into something that’s value will go into free fall as soon as you drive it from the garage is a fantasy it is a mid life crises forget about it, it will all end in tears.:cry:You sound like an intelligent couple that should be enjoying the fruits of your labors. If you want to spend time in a motor home then go out and get one, use it enjoy it then enjoy what you already have until your next trip away. :thumb:
Do you have a contingency plan or are you looking through rose tinted glasses:Cool:. Getting away for a couple of years is everyone’s dream but not everyone can realistically afford to do it.
Many couples would give their right arm to have what you have now, sit back and enjoy it. To burn your bridges could end in 40 years of regrets. :helptitanic:

Every day I read on the forums about another couple thinking of full time..

here is one on our sister site I replied to last night ...
Link Removed

I then read advice from those who have never done it about how great it will be, 'just do it' they cry.. 'you only have one life' , 'live your dream' , etc etc ..

Now, if you were on top of a cliff and contemplating jumping, would you take advice from, those at the top egging you on .. or those on the beach who have taken the plunge ?

Those on the cliff top wish they could do it , but lack courage and those on the beach know how fast you fall.. some have survived to tell the tale .. others not so lucky ..

This is true story:

While full time and traveling in Germany we met an elderly couple living in an elderly Hymer.. both were well into their 70s and had been full time for many years..

We talked and they told us how they started out with a dream, they sold up and bought an expensive RV and hit the road and had traveled the length and breadth of Europe

As they years went by they found themselves running low on money and were too old to find work, so traded the RV for an old Hymer.. this kept them going but the money was now gone and were now living on a state pension.

Ill health was now a problem, both suffered from arthritis, barely able to climb the steps to the van .. by now the Hymer was in very poor shape, they had no MOT, tax disc or insurance ..

It was sad meeting them , too old and infirm to carry on, and with a lack of money no way back ... they said had two options.. carry on and die in a strange land or try to get back to the UK and seek help from social services.. Too proud to go back they had decided to carry on and hope for the best..

We parted and wished them luck.. but the look on that couples face will always haunt me.. despair barely describes it..

It was shortly after this encounter that Jan and I took stock, we could carry on and hope to find work or pack it in before we too were penniless..

Please please, consider very carefully what is at stake... as I've said many times, it's easy to jump but very hard to climb back up that cliff face .. few are at the top helping you back.. those who said jump will not be there to help ..

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some great advice in this thread. My twopenneth is, don't think about it too long. Some people analyse everything over and over they make great charts of pros and cons, but in the end they stagnate and do nothing, worried or scared about every niggle that might go wrong. Every option we choose in life has cons, acknowledge them of course, but take action toward doing what you want.

Talk to as many people as possible, but remember some people (especially family and friends) love to hold others back, often without that intention, but they scoff at your dreams, secretly wishing they had the courage to change their own lives and resenting your plans. Other advice will come straight from the nags mouth; differentiating between the two isn't hard. So many people are stuck in jobs they hate, in marrages that are not working, live in areas they despise. Just too scared to do anything about it.

In my experience doing is best, even if what you are doing is ultimatley wrong; its infinitely better than not having the gumption and doing nothing, always wondering what might have been is no way to live. And for what its worth, things mostly do work out in the end, sometimes not the way you imagine it, but if you are doing and not just dreaming. You meet others, you see opportunities, things happen. Nothing happens for those too scared to get out of their comfort zone and even if they get lucky and an opportunity presents itself, they are too scared to take it!

If you just can't come to a decision, force one, Do something. Rent your house out, by a dirt cheap 12 year old caravan, tow it to a nice little cL somewhere and live in it for a month, then tow it to another, you need a minimum of a winter and a summer on the road, by then you'll know what you want to do.. No one ever said on a death bed "I wish I spent more time in the office" Do something today. Best of luck, :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
could not say it better

Some great advice in this thread. My twopenneth is, don't think about it too long. Some people analyse everything over and over they make great charts of pros and cons, but in the end they stagnate and do nothing, worried or scared about every niggle that might go wrong. Every option we choose in life has cons, acknowledge them of course, but take action toward doing what you want.

Talk to as many people as possible, but remember some people (especially family and friends) love to hold others back, often without that intention, but they scoff at your dreams, secretly wishing they had the courage to change their own lives and resenting your plans. Other advice will come straight from the nags mouth; differentiating between the two isn't hard. So many people are stuck in jobs they hate, in marrages that are not working, live in areas they despise. Just too scared to do anything about it.

In my experience doing is best, even if what you are doing is ultimatley wrong; its infinitely better than not having the gumption and doing nothing, always wondering what might have been is no way to live. And for what its worth, things mostly do work out in the end, sometimes not the way you imagine it, but if you are doing and not just dreaming. You meet others, you see opportunities, things happen. Nothing happens for those too scared to get out of their comfort zone and even if they get lucky and an opportunity presents itself, they are too scared to take it!

If you just can't come to a decision, force one, Do something. Rent your house out, by a dirt cheap 12 year old caravan, tow it to a nice little cL somewhere and live in it for a month, then tow it to another, you need a minimum of a winter and a summer on the road, by then you'll know what you want to do.. No one ever said on a death bed "I wish I spent more time in the office" Do something today. Best of luck, :thumb:

For once a short post by my standards.. agree 100% with Jim.. go for it.

Bob:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

But you have the fortitude Jim that is why you are the Ringleader:Blush:. Not everyone has that attribute. I doubt you would have asked for the help of others before making that decision, you would just have gone out and done it. Not everyone has your gumption.

I think your suggestion of try it first is a sound one though. :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I see lots of good advice on this post both for and against, it is a huge decision for any one to take.

Personaly speaking I don't think I could burn my bridges, although as a holder of a class 1 hgv licence I can get work whenever and where ever I want to. It is one of the few jobs I can choose what day's I work. As I get older 65+ (not that far away now) will I still want or be fit enough to take 44tons on the highways and byways, a question I can't answer, I would however need a plan, as a wise old man told me when I started out on my own If you fail to plan then you plan to fail, sooo very true.

A lot of people (my mother included) told me I was mad starting my own business at 18 whilst putting myself through college and working at other job's to raise capital, I sold that business aged 32 and made a lot of money, I have since had other companies that I have sold and some I have invested fortunes in and gone nowhere, but I can always say i tried with no regrets, I think Jim has said it don't die thinking what if.

Thankfully we are all individuals, and what will work for some won't for others.

Roy I wish you all the best whatever you decide but I think you are a braver man than me.

Rick

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I doubt you would have asked for the help of others before making that decision, you would just have gone out and done it.

:thumb:

No at all, I probably ask more questions and plan more than most. The difference might be that I try to make my plans plans of action. I'm not always successful or reach all of my goals, but I try, and what's the point of a plan if it just gathers dust? Planning and due diligence are very important, except some people confuse day dreams with planning; they both involve a "dream" but only one of these gets it done.

TBH I think that anyone who has a dream and does not at least attempt to make it a reality, may as well be dead. :Smile:

Scotjimland had a dream to go full timing, I followed his progress for a long time as he agonised over the process, selling the house, buying an RV and eventually getting there. After 3 years or so they decide on another path, the world did not end, their lives must be richer for trying and no matter what the outcome, yours probably will be too. Maybe your right, maybe its me but IMO erring on the side of caution gets you nowhere fast.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

If you fail to plan then you plan to fail, sooo very true.

Rick

100% agree, this has been at the heart of my thinking in all my posts ..

I have the same ethos as Jim .. have done many things in my life, some successful, others not..
Looking back it was a failure to plan or plan properly that resulted in my failures..

In saying that even the failures taught me much .. no such thing as a wasted attempt

Plan plan and plan..

plan the finances
plan the object, ie what you hope to achieve
plan the exit

if it's viable go for it .. :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Most of my fialures (as said previously) have been costly, not down to poor planning, usually down to lack of due diligence or knowlege but always an error on my part, but hey thats how we learn, older wiser and perhaps more cautious now, but hopefully not too cautious, that would take the fun out of life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back