Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
looking at a frame made by a firm in chorley lancs.i thought they had to have brakes fitted but apparently not any body know anyt different ..

May be one of the new type where the brakes are activated electronically and can reversed more easily because there is no overun brake. £1500 I believe. :Eeek:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
or it is possible that it is a normal unbraked aframe designed for cars under a certain weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
irrespective of weight, if a car has brakes they must be operational when it's towed by an A frame ...

No reason to doubt that Jim, but when looking for a car to tow I came across many under 900kg (or 750kg) cant remmeber which that were advertised as unbraked and not needing to be because of the weight, That is what the owners were stating? or will this open up another aframe debate :cry::Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No reason to doubt that Jim, but when looking for a car to tow I came across many under 900kg (or 750kg) cant remmeber which that were advertised as unbraked and not needing to be because of the weight, That is what the owners were stating? or will this open up another aframe debate :cry::Blush:

no debate Paul .. no ambiguity

the 750kg rule says that brakes are not required if the trailer is under 750kg GVW

.... but if fitted they MUST work

I know of no car without brakes :winky:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Scotjimland is quite correct and I second what he says.

If vehicle over 750kgs then it must have brakes

If brakes fitted (regardless of weight)they must operate when towing vehicle brakes

Seemples!

OP
OP
F

fender_man44

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
glossop derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 4 years
a frame puzzled??

thank you all for the replys but still no wiser the firm in question is EASY-TOW.CO.UK chap i knew had one got pulled by coppers they were clueless and let him go ,,no brakes on the a frame just a lightboard for the lights and indicators..any more help please

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thank you all for the replys but still no wiser the firm in question is EASY-TOW.CO.UK chap i knew had one got pulled by coppers they were clueless and let him go ,,no brakes on the a frame just a lightboard for the lights and indicators..any more help please

I've had a look at their site, these A frames are only legal for recovery / breakdown , there is also a speed limit , can't recall exactly but I think its 50 mph, maybe less,

If you are serious about buying and using an A frame buy one from the reputable makers such as a CarATow .. ensure you buy and fit a 'braked' frame ..

It is perfectly legal to use a lighting board but far more convenient to have the cars lights wired to the motorhome lighting circuits via the 7 pin trailer socket, this is an option when you have a frame fitted.

As an aside, if planning to go to Europe, particularly Spain, be aware that some users have been stopped and made to unhitch and in some instances also fined..

hope that helps

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We had an AFrame fitted to our Smart Car. As Jim said, brakes must work if fitted. Also the towed vehicle MUST carry the number plate of the towing vehicle and 2 red triangles in the back window. This from my sons brother in law who is a traffic cop. Where no brake cable can be seen, then unless an alternative system is used the towed vehicle will be deamed illegal and subject to a prohibition order preventing the vehicle to be towed. As Bryan said, Simples!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just had a look and its a recovery A frame.

when used by a professional recovery company no brakes are required and it should be used to get the disabled car off the road to a safe place only....ie: the next service area on a motorway.

also, in reply to Pauls comments.....it is the toads GROSS weight thats taken into account.......not the kerb/unladen weight.
not many cars with a gross weight under 750kg.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
also, in reply to Pauls comments.....it is the toads GROSS weight thats taken into account.......not the kerb/unladen weight.
not many cars with a gross weight under 750kg.

The only car I know under 750kg GVW is the Link Removed Max laden weight 675kg

but as already mentioned, it's academic, brakes must work when being A framed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Have a look at this site. This is not a recovery system but an A Frame operated by an electronic box that can sense deceleration forces and apply the brakes.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No

Yes, you are wiser :winky::ROFLMAO:

Let's keep it simple - if you tow a car it's brakes must apply when towing vehicle brakes.

The recovery system you indicate does indeed have a speed limit too. Not 50 but 40mph.

Just do what everyone else does.

Get a BRAKED a-frame and have the lights wired so you don't need a light board.

Our light conversion cost £60-£70 all in.

HTH

Bryan

OP
OP
F

fender_man44

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
glossop derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 4 years
a frames

once again thank you all for your replys ..think i will give the a frame a miss..let the wife drive the car behind me..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back