Hurricane Fourwinds Stolen from lay-by (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
KNUTSFORD police are appealing for information after a motorhome worth £40,000 was stolen in Mere.

The Hurricane Fourwinds was parked in a layby in Warrington Road, on Sunday, August 30, when an opportunist thief ‘hotwired’ the vehicle.

During the incident, the owner was enjoying an evening at the Kilton Inn after travelling for two and a half hours from Lincolnshire.

He visited the pub at 9.45pm and found his motorhome – which is beige and gold coloured– missing at 11.15pm.

The owner also lost motorbike leathers, helmets and computer equipment, amounting to about £10,000.

If you have seen the vehicle or have any information that could assist the police, call 0845 458 0000 and quote incident 1035 of August 30, or call PCSO Dolan or PC Mike Dawber on 084548 6380.

http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/8379015.Luxury_motorhome_stolen_from_layby/

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If an immobiliser is fitted is hotwiring still possible. This rv may not have had an immobiliser as they are not fitted to all rv's as standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If an immobiliser is fitted is hotwiring still possible. This rv may not have had an immobiliser as they are not fitted to all rv's as standard.

Don't think for one second that they will stop a thief with plenty of time on his hands :Eeek:Look on any alarm / immobiliser as a deterrent rather than g/tee against being stolen - locks etc only keep honest people out :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think it is foolish to leave any vehicle unattended in a lay by ..

The motorhome had to be parked in the layby on the A50 as it did not fit in the Kilton Inn’s car park.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
So many motorhomes being stolen recently. Its so sad xxx

I think there should be a scheme whereby all motorhomes have an identity chip put in them that has to be swiped at docks ports, and whilst on ferries etc.

The chip could be activated to flag up "stolen" somehow - but Im not technical

If someone out there is???? Why not start inventing

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If Yours was stolen would you want it back:Eeek:
Any one up for a chalenge
Link Removed
Geo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Loads of parking around the Inn wonder why they did not use that, maybe the access is tight. Can't see an obvious layby, but I imagine they meant to sleep there, after coming out the pub so late. Must have been a terrible shock. Map Link

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If its not already been shipped abroad ..............

I just wonder whether it will be amongst the many vans at the Lincoln show next weekend?

This could be the first FUNSTER "motorhome treasure hunt" at a show

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the nearest layby is about 1/4mile away towards mere traffic lights on a busy through road (main warrington-knutsford), i also cant understand why they didnt use the carparks unless there have been height barriers that have been fitted recently, but there wasnt any last time i went past there and there is a garage forecourt right accross from the kiltern.
From that pub you are only 10mins from the M6 and about 5mins from the M56

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well I know the price of leathers and helmets, let's assume there were two sets.

Would you leave £8k+ of portable computer equip in your RV whilst you went to the pub down the road?

Err, does anyone on here own £8k+ of portable computer equip? Why? LOL

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
KNUTSFORD police are appealing for information after a motorhome worth £40,000 was stolen in Mere.

The Hurricane Fourwinds was parked in a layby in Warrington Road, on Sunday, August 30, when an opportunist thief ‘hotwired’ the vehicle.

During the incident, the owner was enjoying an evening at the Kilton Inn after travelling for two and a half hours from Lincolnshire.

He visited the pub at 9.45pm and found his motorhome – which is beige and gold coloured– missing at 11.15pm.

The owner also lost motorbike leathers, helmets and computer equipment, amounting to about £10,000.

If you have seen the vehicle or have any information that could assist the police, call 0845 458 0000 and quote incident 1035 of August 30, or call PCSO Dolan or PC Mike Dawber on 084548 6380.

http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/8379015.Luxury_motorhome_stolen_from_layby/

No Reg Number?

A "Clutch Claw" makes this type if theft more difficult. We always fit ours when we leave the vehicle anywhere even on sites and CLs.

John

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A "Clutch Claw" makes this type if theft more difficult. We always fit ours when we leave the vehicle anywhere even on sites and CLs.

John

I used to use a clutch claw.. excellent bit of kit but no use on an automatic ..

frankly, I find it incredulous that they left £50K in a lay by .. no alarm or mechanical protection will stop a thief ..

Imagine if you were full time and were now homeless .. :Sad:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I used to use a clutch claw.. excellent bit of kit but no use on an automatic ..

frankly, I find it incredulous that they left £50K in a lay by .. no alarm or mechanical protection will stop a thief ..

Imagine if you were full time and were now homeless .. :Sad:

Jim what do you do short of bolting it down. A quiet site could be just as risky as a layby.
Is it possible this guy did not have an alarm or immobiliser ?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim what do you do short of bolting it down. A quiet site could be just as risky as a layby.
Is it possible this guy did not have an alarm or immobiliser ?

Yes I agree, there is risk everywhere, but I would think the risk in a layby is far greater then even a quiet site ..

When we were travelling we never left the RV unattended in a car park, lay-by or empty aire, even when we went shopping to a supermarket one of us stayed behind to guard it ..

On aires we would only leave it after we had become friendly with a neighbour or had spoken to someone and asked them to watch it .. but NEVER left it unattended or stayed overnight on an autoroute aire, that is asking for trouble.

On sites when we stayed for a few weeks I would take the precaution of disconnecting the engine battery which was located under our bed.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A hidden electric or manual fuel switch is by far the best anti theft device
The theif is fooled into thinking he's getting away with it
Then twenty yards down the road it packs in, more than likey in the middle of a roundabout:thumb: He wont hang around to damage or empty it
The police will tell you they found your vehicle before you even miss it:Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A hidden electric or manual fuel switch is by far the best anti theft device
The theif is fooled into thinking he's getting away with it
Then twenty yards down the road it packs in, more than likey in the middle of a roundabout:thumb: He wont hang around to damage or empty it
The police will tell you they found your vehicle before you even miss it:Doh:

That is a good idea Geo .. :thumb:

the main fuel shut off solenoid on the Cummins would be easy to wire to a hidden switch ..

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Had my Mini Cooper stolen TWICE while visiting friends in Coventry a few years ago.

I had wired a switch into the fuel pump power feed....

Got the car back both times...within 1 mile of us.....

Won't be going/sent to Coventry again though...:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Access to the parking on the left looks very difficult from the only entrance in Hulse Heath lane, with a load of cars in it the one on the right probably isn't any better.

As you say Jim I can't see a lay-by.

olley

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Access to the parking on the left looks very difficult from the only entrance in Hulse Heath lane, with a load of cars in it the one on the right probably isn't any better.

As you say Jim I can't see a lay-by.

olley

The layby is arrowed:

B]

The Kilton, as well as being a popular pub, also has a Premier Inn, so they probably couldn't get anywhere near the car park!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
put pictures of the mother in law in the windows:ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Take a quick look every time you pass a traveller's site.........
It'll turn up.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Think the Itinerants would be a bit conspicuous in an A Class RV :Cool:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
And that is their secret!!!!!!!!
Looking exactly like Itinerants aren't supposed to look is how they get to live an easier life!
Just check out Cher Lloyd on X Factor for a prime example!!!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I lost my car transporter which supposedly had a bulletproof immobiliser, didn't stop em taking it.

A thief if he want it will take it whatever.

I would not want it back after this incident though.

Can you imagine getting you car back once joyriders had canned it to death till they dump it? I know most burn em out.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
And that is their secret!!!!!!!!
Looking exactly like Itinerants aren't supposed to look is how they get to live an easier life!
Just check out Cher Lloyd on X Factor for a prime example!!!

She's not one is she ??

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Check this link-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...nd-suffered-Itinerant-taunts-115875-22679486/

I rest my case m'lord!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mind you, with the potential income from her X Factor stardom, she'll be buying an RV once she passes her C1 licence, not nicking one!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Seriously, though, banter aside, we hope the girl does well for herself. She's taken a lot of stick in the press (and the likes of us) lately and she deseves all the luck in the world for sticking her neck out and trying.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have seen gypsies with an RV and 5th wheel.

The caravan club campsite in Cheddar was own by gypsies who tried to change it to permanent residential status, the site was clean while they owned it and they seemed rolling in money, a 15 yo boy had a brand new mini cooper to drive around the site in.

Funny old world, still hate Itinerants them nicking stuff from me though:Sad:

Cher Lloyd was brilliant last night and a real talent, you will see her a lot in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back