Trader - Engine ReMapping
Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello everyone,
I'm Chris Roberts and own a Hymer 655 on the 2.8JTD chassis.
Many of you know me from my attendance at the shows in my capacity of MD of Wow Tuning. If you're not sure who I am, i'm the big chap who really needs to lose a few pounds!
Please do not hesitate to contact me for any advice you may want on engine tuning, remapping, tuning boxes, fuel economy, etc as I am happy to share my expertise with you.
My comments will always be fair, unbiased and based on fact, through my experience in sucessfully remapping over 2,000 motorhomes.
Cheers,
Chris

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Trader?Readthis button at the top of the screen, might be an idea to speak to 'the boss' , Jim, smartish?

OP
OP
W

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Trader. . . Yes!

Dont worry I have told Jim and understand about trader rules, i'm here as a Motorhomer first and a source of advice 2nd :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
would have been nice to see a private post first

Dont worry I have told Jim and understand about trader rules, i'm here as a Motorhomer first and a source of advice 2nd :Smile:

Shame you did not start off with a private post before you lunched your sales pitch. If I wanted your type of service I can look at the trader links that are paid for. I for one do not like to see blantant advertising as this from clearly a trader. You are more likly to get members backs up with this kind of post. I support Dodgy's views on this.

Jim needs to note the subscribers views on this?

Bob:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Chris and :welcome:to MotorhomeFun.:thumb:
I am sure your advice will be appreciated.:thumb:
Glad to hear that you have spoken to the Boss Man.:winky:

Because.
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim,:whatthe:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
W

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Actually Bob, I joined because literally dozens and dozens of your fellow members have requested that I join this site. Those friends and customers know that I am honest and trustworthy in my advice, often at the expense at making a buck! As for being sales pitch? No, that wasn't intended, however I sure you will agree its always better to be totally upfront in who and what you are rather than hide behind a veil.:Smile:

Shame you did not start off with a private post before you lunched your sales pitch. If I wanted your type of service I can look at the trader links that are paid for. I for one do not like to see blantant advertising as this from clearly a trader. You are more likly to get members backs up with this kind of post. I support Dodgy's views on this.

Jim needs to note the subscribers views on this?

Bob:Angry::Angry::Angry:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome,
dont worry about the response so far, we dont do moderators on this site because we all partake in keeping the site nice, friendly and spam free, hense the questions to your first post - glad to know you checked with jim

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
:welcome: also from us to the "fun" site Chris

John n Kath

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as chatter says

Hi and welcome,
dont worry about the response so far, we dont do moderators on this site because we all partake in keeping the site nice, friendly and spam free, hense the questions to your first post - glad to know you checked with jim

I agree chatter.. we moderate ourselves (or try to.. as Wildman knows it is not easy to keep us in line for the Bath & West show this week)... but I do prefer to know about another motorhome owner and member before I get a sales pitch. As I have not used you I cannot speak from experiance. It is a bit like selling goods at an event, the traders and organisers would soon get cheesed off if we did it... so we stick to the rule (most of the time) so be it here on this site.

You are welcome as anyone is, as I always say to newbee's but I think as far as I am concerned (I say me) I would have prefered to not see the advertising in the first post. Have you spoken to Jim about a sponsership block as you can see to the right of your screen. I see at the moment that Peter of John Cross Campers is flashing away...he is a dealer and a poster (not sure which some days and when he makes a sales pitch - he is also a fine dealer and I have spent many a £ with him at his shop and at shows).. so it is not just you I remark about. If I want to read adverts I can pick up my MMM copy. I rather hear of interesting or funny posts than to open one to welcome a new comer to find he is plastering an advert at me.

Anyway welcome and hope we hear from you with general issues as time goes by.

Everyone has a view and should express it as they think they should as long as it does not become personal or rude / offensive.

Bob:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hello everyone,
I'm Chris Roberts and own a Hymer 655 on the 2.8JTD chassis.
Many of you know me from my attendance at the shows in my capacity of MD of Wow Tuning. If you're not sure who I am, i'm the big chap who really needs to lose a few pounds!
Please do not hesitate to contact me for any advice you may want on engine tuning, remapping, tuning boxes, fuel economy, etc as I am happy to share my expertise with you.
My comments will always be fair, unbiased and based on fact, through my experience in sucessfully remapping over 2,000 motorhomes.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris, this is exactly the first post that a trader should not make, I should send you an invoice for the part in red, its an advert. :RollEyes: Did you miss this part in the trader rules. ::bigsmile:

Trader rules extract...

After you have a good idea of how Fun works, introduce yourself. Just say hello and tell the funsters that you're looking forward to participating in the discussion and contributing to the forum.You will have the designation "trade member" so funsters will be able to see your website if they look at your profile. Don't be tempted to say anything more or start selling, your post will probably be deleted if you do.
Then, look at the questions being asked on the forum. If you can, answer them. You should keep on doing this and try to visit at least twice a day.
Over time, this is what's going to happen.

You are going to establish yourself as an authority in your field and your posts will be especially well received. Especially so when Funsters realise you are not just trying to hard-sell them something. Give out good honest advice and opinion and people ARE going to start to look at you as an authority on your particular subject. They will begin to ask for your advice. You will NOT have to advertise a thing. You will not need to Spam the forum. You will begin to make sales just from being a participant at the forum, you will become a Funster. That will be good for the forum and might well be good for your business as well.

Please ensure that you read the rules. Meanwhile, welcome to the fun

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi and Welcome. We really are a friendly bunch :thumb:

Dale

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Chris, you came in with a bang there mate, straight into the dock and the admonishment of our residant M'lod.

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

Jim

:thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Welcome Chris!

I see you're from Charlestown! I have family in St Austell and know Charlestown quite well!
Lovely place, I remember it when the china clay boats used to be there filling up!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
hit list

Hi Chris, you came in with a bang there mate, straight into the dock and the admonishment of our residant M'lod.

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

Jim

:thumb:

Well Jim I am on another hit list it seems.

Thinking about changing my handle to M'lod .. does not sound half bad:winky:to me. Or as they say guilty as charged... oh well back to making the bread for Bath & West.

Bob ..aka sour puss bob, m'lod, :Eeek: and a few not printable aka's..

OP
OP
W

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Charlestown

Hi, yes its beautiful here, I live just up the coastal path from the Rashleigh, which I am sure you must have visited - the best fillet steak in Cornwall!
I have only seen 2 china clay boats come in since we've lived here (12 years) but I understand that in its hey day as a working port often there was a film of china clay everywhere!

Welcome Chris!

I see you're from Charlestown! I have family in St Austell and know Charlestown quite well!
Lovely place, I remember it when the china clay boats used to be there filling up!

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi, yes its beautiful here, I live just up the coastal path from the Rashleigh, which I am sure you must have visited - the best fillet steak in Cornwall!
I have only seen 2 china clay boats come in since we've lived here (12 years) but I understand that in its hey day as a working port often there was a film of china clay everywhere!

Oh yes we know The Rashleigh! :roflmto::roflmto:

I've been visiting Charlestown since about 1960 so I've seen quite a few china clay boats!

We stay at Doubletrees Farm in St Blazey Gate when we're around there. Great site!:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Wow :welcome: to Motorhomefun :thumb: ask Jim for the Trader T shirt !

Peter

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Chris

Glad to see you on FUN. You did my 'Van at Newbury and extended the money back gaurantee until August as, we were only going to Slough and not into France till July. However, I spoke to you at Malvern regarding my MPG and you kindly sent an engineer to remap it. Having said that, he actually had your office write a custom map for me. So far all looks good, more torque, smoother acceleration and according to the mileage I have done, 5 - 6 more MPG. Every little helps.

OP
OP
W

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Dave,
Yes I remember meeting you and arranging for the little tweek to your van, more importantly its working ::bigsmile:
Do pop by and say hello if you're going to Shepton Mallet.
Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris

Glad to see you on FUN. You did my 'Van at Newbury and extended the money back gaurantee until August as, we were only going to Slough and not into France till July. However, I spoke to you at Malvern regarding my MPG and you kindly sent an engineer to remap it. Having said that, he actually had your office write a custom map for me. So far all looks good, more torque, smoother acceleration and according to the mileage I have done, 5 - 6 more MPG. Every little helps.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Chris (Wow).

Welcome to Fun.

Having the Ducato 2.8TDi, other than mechanical tweeking of the pump, there's not a lot else that can be done to improve performance and torque, unless you are able to get me interested by telling me differently. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
W

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Jock,

Oh if I had a £ for every pre-ECU van we could have done!! Actually now i've written that its nonsense because I would have more than a £1 haha! But you get my drift.
I often get asked if a 1999/2001 vehicles can be done. Sometimes we have had 2003's which can't and then the next 2000 which can, its quite a lottery dependant on how old the chassis was before conversion and you cant always go on the badges either, i've see a '2.8 TDi i.e' only to open the bonnet and find a JTD!
The simple answer is if there is an ECU (electronic control unit) on the passenger wing, next to the air filter, it can be done. Its a silver box 6"x6"x1" with a load of wires coming out of it, covered by a plastic shroud held on by two thumbwheels. People who aren't sure can get a mechanic or someone like us to have a quick look.
Obviously you have the knowledge that yours is mechanical, which is a shame unless, as you said you want to play about putting resistors across your fuel pump!
Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris (Wow).

Welcome to Fun.

Having the Ducato 2.8TDi, other than mechanical tweeking of the pump, there's not a lot else that can be done to improve performance and torque, unless you are able to get me interested by telling me differently. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Obviously you have the knowledge that yours is mechanical, which is a shame unless, as you said you want to play about putting resistors across your fuel pump!
Cheers,
Chris
Here's you first "thanks" on the left Chris. :thumb:

Resistors across the pump? That's a new one to me, but then I am not mechanically qualified in any way, just DIY. How would they work, and and what's the expected cost please? We might need to discuss this on a different forum, ie, Base Chassis Section. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
W

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In the dark ages (pre ECU) the resistors trick was used to change the ouput of the pump, wouldn't recommend it though as thats sort of thing its best undertaken by a "i've worked on these man and boy" type of chap:Smile:

Here's you first "thanks" on the left Chris. :thumb:

Resistors across the pump? That's a new one to me, but then I am not mechanically qualified in any way, just DIY. How would they work, and and what's the expected cost please? We might need to discuss this on a different forum, ie, Base Chassis Section. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Jock and welcome Chris
Jock and others that may be tempted,
As an exponent of the dark arts of fiddling with mixtures:RollEyes: for Motor sport perfomance
Its really quite easy
You may at first be pleased with the initial results of your twiddling
You will know when you have over fuelled
When your sump has more fuel than oil (loud knocking noises from bottom end)
You will also know when your too lean (Bag of spanner noises complete with hole in pistons)
Simples
Leave it to the experts,Chris's advice is spot on,dont go there :Eeek:
Geo

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Leave it to the experts,Chris's advice is spot on,dont go there :Eeek:
Geo
Thanks George,

When I read Chris's post, and I quote, "wouldn't recommend it though as thats sort of thing its best undertaken by a "i've worked on these man and boy" type of chap.", I decided then not to bother doing anything at all.
On the way from Newark to Ayr on Sunday, we clocked 26.7 MPG. Not bad for a 5 tonner. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. George, email sent yesterday ref LEDs. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back