Help and Advice Needed I have Confused Myself (1 Viewer)

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As I said I have confused myself we are looking for a gas BBQ for our RV tooooo much choice, I have looked at the coleman road pro, the char-broil, the cadac, etc the only requirement we have decided we definatly want is it is on its own legs not a table top.

Has any one got experience of any of these or would recomend another make/model, all input would be grtatefuly received.

Hellllllpppp

Thanks Rick and Rosie.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cadac carrychef deluxe.

super bit of kit.

comes with various plates....BBQ mesh, reversable (smooth/ribbed) cast iron gridle plate, skottle top (bit like a shallow, dished, frying pan) and a saucepan stand.

if used as a conventional BBQ its a bugger to clean but i use the iron plate or the skottle top with a sheet of silicon baking sheet.

simply mop up any excess oil/fat from the silicon sheet with kitchen roll and wipe clean with a damp cloth....roll up and store for next time.
no real cleaning needed with this stuff.

latest version has one piece legs where-as mine has two piece legs.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have the Cadac too , but dont use any of the accessories we have for it :Doh: since we bought a paella dish for it.
The dish fits right over the top. We manage to cook a full monty English breakfast for 5 in it . Plus all the usual BBQ stuff of course.
All you need are some tongs and some kitchen roll , as all the juices dont run off ( into the cadacs workings ) it makes it a lot easier to clean , just mopping up as you go.
We , well I , ( Ralph's the outside cook I'm the inside :winky:) also use the paella pan inside too.
It fits over all four gas rings on the cooker, just right.
So if its raining outside , and we dont have the zip store out , we can still all sit down and eat together. Instead of faffing around taking orders with the separate pans on the hob ::bigsmile:
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We've got the Webber Q something or other, simpler type, big cast grill over flame, though SWMBO often sticks a frying pan on very successfully.

It's compact enough to fit in a locker and though it can be used on a table, or on thr ground we got the legs/trolley for it which again folds down nicely and fits in another locker.

Doesn't have the options of your Cadac type BBQs but then again we like simple BBQs so suits us.

We adopt the wire brush and oil between uses, and just give it a proper clean when being put away for a while, ie back from a trip and works fine.

There are a couple of sizes, we got the larger, for two of us:Doh: kinda wished we'd gone for the smaller be yeah ho:thumb:

If you are at Shepton (I have it in my head you are) you could have a look?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
consider a chobb as well

As I said I have confused myself we are looking for a gas BBQ for our RV tooooo much choice, I have looked at the coleman road pro, the char-broil, the cadac, etc the only requirement we have decided we definatly want is it is on its own legs not a table top.

Has any one got experience of any of these or would recomend another make/model, all input would be grtatefuly received.

Hellllllpppp

Thanks Rick and Rosie.

The chobb can use bricketts or the chobb cooking circle brick (coconut)

I purchased a Chobb at the start of the year after seeing it being used on Hairy Bikers cook TV show. The unit is fantastic, we have cooked everything from a whole chicken to roast beef. It has a lot of accessories like a wok, griddle plate, wire rack, frying pan.. the best thing is it is cool to touch and sits on the table (on top of a plastic table cloth) and you can move it about no trouble. I was so impressed I purchased an extending ring so I can put large items in the lid. I can also steam, and use it as a smoker. The well allows you to use water, or beer and cider... The chobb units sit in a removable plate (I am collecting a second one of these as I use it so much).. the cobb units cook for about 2 hours and get very hot.. I can also use charcoal if I need to... The company that sells them will be at Bath & West this weekend. I found I can get the Chobb un its in places like Lakeland or Van Bitz or direct and at the shows.

First class bit of kit comes with a carrying bag made to fit and we use it all the time under the awning and the best bit now is there is a Gilly kettle and an adaption ring for it that fits the chobb so I do not waste the heat.. it boils water for the tea or the washing up.

Recommended.

Bob:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the Spanish gas ring and a piela dish, I use a big round cast iron griddle plate on it with ribs on one side and smooth on the other.
This way you can cook eggs etc,on one side and steak on tother."Sorry about that Joy".:Smile:
Its cheap and it works so well have had a friend of mine who is a retired chef get one and get rid of his all dancing fancy BBQ.
Never wash it, just wipe it with a paper towel then get it red hot before using it again,was told this is the best way to use cast iron cookware.
It comes with 3 legs that slot into the base and is very sturdy.
Have seen them recently in the UK but got mine years ago in Spain.
No mess...no fuss BBQ that does what it should at a reasonable price,got a bag at one of the shows to put it in for a fiver,job done.:thumb:

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Thanks to all you guys, yes I will be at Shepton and no doubt will be inspecting all BBQ's please keep all comments and advice coming.

All the best Rick

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I might even let you try a burger from the Chobb

Thanks to all you guys, yes I will be at Shepton and no doubt will be inspecting all BBQ's please keep all comments and advice coming.

All the best Rick

Hi Rick

Might even let you try a burger cooked on the chobb..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Here's my Cadac... Note the lovely melted legs, Created a real nice meal. In fairness to Cadac, they have offered a replacement.:thumb:

Attachments

• P1030692.JPG
    P1030692.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 24

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I have the cadac in our RV and had a push fit connection fitted so it comes off the LPG tank works great.

Regards

Lampie

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sorry I can't help with barby as I don't have one. It seems to be the mans job to do the outside cooking, so I prefer not to have any means of doing any:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
why do men always do the out door cooking?

Sorry I can't help with barby as I don't have one. It seems to be the mans job to do the outside cooking, so I prefer not to have any means of doing any:Smile:

I have noticed that I tend to do more of the out door cooking than Sue when we are away in the motor home? I wonder why.

Mind you I do a fair bit of cooking at home - today it is home made burgers and a chili for the weekend at Bath & West and I am about to make home made bread (not with a machine).. I tend to cook on the days Sue works as she has a long day leaving home at 6 a.m and getting home near 7 p.m. so that is partg of it.. but on the Motor Home I find I do more

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi there,

We've been using Link Removed for some years now, as there is only the two of us. If any more, we just keep the cooked grub warm in the oven. The cooking over hot lava rock gives the food that smoked BBQ flavour, that you don't get with ordinary gas appliances which don't use rock or coals at all. That was our main reason for not going for the CADAC.
Those appliances with briquettes give that smoked flavour too.

Due to is's construction, the above unit has far outlasted the little black and red ones for around the £20 mark as seen here. >>>>Link Removed

HTH,

Jock.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no I do not get commission

I do not get a commission for pushing the Chobb unit.. mind you I might suggest a discount for the number of chobb bricks I have purchased. I have even used it in France as it is not an open flame like the normal fire type... as You know the French have a lot of rules about it... I founf two of the British vans in the South of France this year using the Chobb unit.

Bob:Cool:

pegasus

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since Nov 2009
BBQ

Hi,
We have purchased the cadac deluxe. cooking on it is fine (real charcoal is superior though). Cleaning is as already mentioned is a bit time consuming. Another anoying thing that I have noticed is that it goes out when on low even with light wind.

I will be at Shepton M show (on Fri) and you are welcome to try it.
See you there..
Christos

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005

Poor training:ROFLMAO:

Wife cooks indoors or out, and if I do get loose on a barbi it's difficult to tell what's food and whats charcoal:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (even on a gas bbq:Eeek:)

It is simple you see, buy barbi, burn everthing, wife takes over, you drink beer and enjoy nicely cooked food with no effort, simples:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so can I bring my burgers to?

Hi,
We have purchased the cadac deluxe. cooking on it is fine (real charcoal is superior though). Cleaning is as already mentioned is a bit time consuming. Another anoying thing that I have noticed is that it goes out when on low even with light wind.

I will be at Shepton M show (on Fri) and you are welcome to try it.
See you there..
Christos

Is that an open offer? can I bring my burgers to? save me lighting up the Cobb:ROFLMAO: all for saving money.

Bob:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I noticed

Poor training:ROFLMAO:

Wife cooks indoors or out, and if I do get loose on a barbi it's difficult to tell what's food and whats charcoal:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (even on a gas bbq:Eeek:)

It is simple you see, buy barbi, burn everthing, wife takes over, you drink beer and enjoy nicely cooked food with no effort, simples:thumb:

If I recall Dodgy you had a beer in your hand at Malvern when I met you?

Alright for some .. I have baked the bread, made the chili and and made the burgers to day.. a mans job is never done.. oh yes 1 1/2 hours loading the trailer and dodging the rain.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
If I recall Dodgy you had a beer in your hand at Malvern when I met you?

But of course:thumb:

Alright for some .. I have baked the bread, made the chili and and made the burgers to day.. a mans job is never done.. oh yes 1 1/2 hours loading the trailer and dodging the rain.

Mine's even trained to fetch the beer, sometimes there is hickups mind you but generaly the wife functions well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
we have a cadac (our third modle) best ever one was the origanal heavey plat type (still working) mark 2 was rubish, mark three (single leg) is more or less same as mark which has 4 three legs,

we have the three legs now, bought last year, this year the grill plate started shedding the non stick? I rung cadac explained I had no reciept, last week a new one poped through the post, nice.....::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back