A few (possibly daft) questions about awnings (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi. We eventually took the plunge and go ourselves a Buerstner t660. Just spent a weekend away in it and its fab! As we've got 2 dogs, we're thinking of getting a stand-alone awning for muddy days but, being green as grass, know nothing about them. So here are the daft questions.
  1. We have a 6.5m Omnistor awning. Does the stand-alone awning have to be the same length?
  2. How does the stand-alone awning actually fit onto the MH? Is there a strip or something?
  3. How easy/difficult is it to fit on?
  4. Are all awnings the same height floor to ceiling, or do you have to get one specific to the height of your MH?
I note that a lot of people seem to buy these awnings and then not use them. Is this because the advantages are not worth the hassle of putting them up?

Many thanks for any info/views
Bella

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Bella, An awning sounds quite good for what you state.

I bought one but have only used it a few times because being a lone traveller

a) I find it very heavy to lift in and out of the van
b) I struggle to attach it to the van with the strip BUT very easy to put up and so I leave it standing alone (literally) placed right next to the van.
c) I am glad I got it.... and once I can get to go away for more than a few days at a time, it will be brilliant for storage, or an extra bedroom for my daughter and friends, or an outside dining room.

Check out the shows as they sell them cheaper on the last day sometimes.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The last bit of your post is true...but thats only my opinion.
To much hastle putting them up...they never fit right...take to much room up in the van when not in use.
They are OK if you have a very small MH and absolutly must have somewhere to sit,but with a normal sized MH they are more trouble than they are worth...Thats why you see so many for sale secondhand,used once.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Hi Bella, An awning sounds quite good for what you state.

I bought one but have only used it a few times because being a lone traveller

a) I find it very heavy to lift in and out of the van
b) I struggle to attach it to the van with the strip BUT very easy to put up and so I leave it standing alone (literally) placed right next to the van.
c) I am glad I got it.... and once I can get to go away for more than a few days at a time, it will be brilliant for storage, or an extra bedroom for my daughter and friends, or an outside dining room.

Check out the shows as they sell them cheaper on the last day sometimes.:thumb:

And some funsters have been selling them cheap lately:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So probably the best thing to do is try a few holidays away WITHOUT one before deciding if you need the extra space in your motorhome.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if you buy the standalone tenty material ones they are quite good, are not heavy and can if need be , be put up by one person although its quicker with two.
Check out the movilite XL and riversway 300 both are 3m x3m with a tunnel type atachment that you can use to attach to the van or leave it rolled up, they are also quick to dry out being tenty material

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_123710.html

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_888952.html

and a frame type one
http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_133713.html

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi. We eventually took the plunge and go ourselves a Buerstner t660. Just spent a weekend away in it and its fab! As we've got 2 dogs, we're thinking of getting a stand-alone awning for muddy days but, being green as grass, know nothing about them. So here are the daft questions.
  1. We have a 6.5m Omnistor awning. Does the stand-alone awning have to be the same length?
    No it can be any length up to the length of your roll out.
  2. How does the stand-alone awning actually fit onto the MH? Is there a strip or something?It can either be fixed using a separate strip or attached utilising your roll out.
  3. How easy/difficult is it to fit on?Simple if you practise before you need it (see pic of ours fitted to our van)
  4. Are all awnings the same height floor to ceiling, or do you have to get one specific to the height of your MH?Best to get one that's close to the same height and check door clearance when erected.
I note that a lot of people seem to buy these awnings and then not use them. Is this because the advantages are not worth the hassle of putting them up?Horses for courses come to mind. We had one for years & never used it then put it up & thought we can use this so we are taking it to Spain this winter. There we will be on site for maybe a month so it's useful.

Many thanks for any info/views
Bella

Ours is a metal frame so heavy to carry be should withstand high winds, we had a force 8 last time we put it up. :Eeek: it survived. :thumb:

Attachments

• 25062010472.jpg
    25062010472.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 25062010474.jpg
    25062010474.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

It largely depends on the type of motorhomer you turn out to be.

We travel with 2 poodles and although an awning would at times be a godsend we are never in one place normally more than 1 night at the most 2 nights and the thought (and I have done it when caravanning) of putting up an awning is the furthest from my thoughts.

Would agree try a few trips out without and then decide, it's silly to buy one and it become a classified add item.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all for your useful replies. All food for thought. Think I'll nip down to the local camping shop and have a look at some.
Bella

Upvote 0

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi,
As Chatter posted try the movilite XL. We bought one and have used it a few times so far (really good) as well as attaching via a figure 8 strip the top of the tunnel bit has 2 removalable straps that can be throne over the motorhome roof and pegged out the other side of motorhome. I have heard reports that these can flap on the roof if the wind gets up though.
Bought ours from ebay for a lot less than camping shop prices. As previous posts a lot of people buy them dont use and sell them on cheap.
Cheers Min:thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
  2. How does the stand-alone awning actually fit onto the MH? Is there a strip or something?
  3. How easy/difficult is it to fit on?
  4. Are all awnings the same height floor to ceiling, or do you have to get one specific to the height of your MH?
Bella

1. No.
2. You buy a fixing kit, usually sold as Fiama, it uses a groove in the base of your omnistor.
3. First time difficult, second time much easier, third time, well that will be in December.
4. Usually 2 heights, you need the tall ones.

You more than double the size of your living space so as long as you are staying a few days they are good.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back