Newbie Couple From Nottingham!! (1 Viewer)

Gecko

Free Member
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
Exp
-4 days!!
Hi Everyone,

Lovely to meet you all! We are so new, we don't even get our Motorhome til Friday, so we have loads to learn. Hope you are all up for helping :thumb:!

Our first problem is insurance which I am trying to sort now! We are going to be full-timers......scary! Alan is working til Christmas so we are staying in and around Nottingham. The thing is, someone told us we need to give an address otherwise our insurance will be very high, so thats ok we have my daughters address to use. (Sold the house, completes on Friday)

But insurers don't give many choices as to where van will be kept. Do we just put on public road? Do we admit to being full-timers? What does everyone else do?

Sorry to ask questions on my first post, but well, you all sound so friendly!!

Thanks

Sue and Alan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Just to say welcome, loads of helpful folk will be along soon to answer your questions :thumb:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
welcome - and lots of success with the decision to go full time.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi & welcome to the Funster Site ::bigsmile:
No doubt some full timers will be along to advise what not to say to the insurance company :Smile:
flyingwelcome

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Our first problem is insurance which I am trying to sort now! We are going to be full-timers......scary! Alan is working til Christmas so we are staying in and around Nottingham. The thing is, someone told us we need to give an address otherwise our insurance will be very high, so thats ok we have my daughters address to use. (Sold the house, completes on Friday)

But insurers don't give many choices as to where van will be kept. Do we just put on public road? Do we admit to being full-timers? What does everyone else do?

Sue and Alan

Hi Sue and Alan.. welcome to the forum, there are lots of threads about full time in the full time forum, well worth a read .. most if not all of your questions will have been asked before,

Full time insurance is probably the biggest hurdle, a 'home' address can be your daughters, but if you don't declare your full time status you are taking a huge risk .. and if you do you will either be refused or quoted phone numbers,..

Comfort Insurance have indicated on this forum ( do a search ) that they will cover full timers on a 'case by case' basis , so it's worth a call .. but take a seat when you ask them ..

Normal vehicle insurance has a contents limit, the logic being that your possessions are normally covered by home contents insurance.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Sue and Alan

Welcome to MH Fun

ScotJimland has given the best advice he's bin there read the book and got the tea shirt.

Best of luck in your quest.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh my god. Now we have two geckos. Let's hope we don't have a breeding pair.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Hi Sue and Alan :welcome: to the madhouse.

Hi Sue and Alan

Welcome to MH Fun

ScotJimland has given the best advice he's bin there read the book and got the tea shirt.

Best of luck in your quest.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

I thought he wrote the book. He could have with the knowledge he has :thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Gecko :welcomefunster: from Notts/Leics border
hope you will be happy full timing, may see you around

OP
OP
G

Gecko

Free Member
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
Exp
-4 days!!
Thanks Everyone!!

Thanks for all the welcomes! Nice to be here. Finally got insurance sorted with Comfort. Told them we were full=timers and said the address I gave them was my daughters, they seemed fine with that. Cost £730 ish which I thought was ok after some of the scare stories we heard!:thumb:

Cheers

Sue & Alan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for all the welcomes! Nice to be here. Finally got insurance sorted with Comfort. Told them we were full=timers and said the address I gave them was my daughters, they seemed fine with that. Cost £730 ish which I thought was ok after some of the scare stories we heard!:thumb:

Cheers

Sue & Alan

Good news, first hurdle over, hope all goes well .. keep us posted with your progress

safe travels

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cost £730 ish which I thought was ok after some of the scare stories we heard!:thumb:

Cheers

Sue & Alan

Sounds terrible to me - most folk pay up to £350 sort of price or less. Not fulltiming of course. So why so much extra ? Fulltiming means you are babysitting the vehicle fulltime, you are at ease with driving it and mileage won't be massively more than us part timers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sounds terrible to me - most folk pay up to £350 sort of price or less. Not fulltiming of course. So why so much extra ? Fulltiming means you are babysitting the vehicle fulltime, you are at ease with driving it and mileage won't be massively more than us part timers.

Absolutely correct Brian , but as far as I know no other company offers full time cover, no competition, so it's a case of take it or leave it , the only extra cost is contents cover ..

When you are full time you are definitely more careful, everything you own is in your van, leaving it parked in a public car park was for us a no no, and annual mileage for many will be no more or even less than a busy touring couple..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back