EU considering a tax on motor vehicles (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Some noises emerging in the press about the EU considering a tax on motor vehicle (incl. car) movement between countries and even within countries as part of a plan to significantly diminish carbon footprints in the EU. The sub-regional Western Morning News even suggests inter-county travel is being considered for this.:Angry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I understand the eu wants to control and take the money from toll roads in uk and increase the number of them.
Good old eu , greedy, wasteful buggers :Eeek::Angry:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[FONT=&quot]If the EUs concern really is carbon emissions and not just extra tax then shutting Euro Disney down would stop a huge movement between countries. Or what about restrictions on channel crossings, that would save massive amounts of carbon emission. Or withdraw the passport from anyone who exceeds their carbon limit.:roflmto:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any other good ideas how to reduce Europe’s carbon footprint without stealthy tax.:RollEyes:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I wonder if they will take a horse drawn caravan on Eurotunnel?

Afraid not Wildman, Grass eaters are responsible for 14% of the worlds greenhouse gasses. Methane is 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide.:whatthe:

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Afraid not Wildman, Grass eaters are responsible for 14% of the worlds greenhouse gasses. Methane is 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide.:whatthe:

Those grass eaters you talk about are mainly cows, and last time I checked there was a difference between a cow and a horse :ROFLMAO:

Rasmus

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
renewing the passports now

[FONT=&quot]. Or withdraw the passport from anyone who exceeds their carbon limit.:roflmto:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any other good ideas how to reduce Europe’s carbon footprint without stealthy tax.:RollEyes:[/FONT]

Just got the forms.. £80 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that is a tax

Bob:Angry:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Those grass eaters you talk about are mainly cows, and last time I checked there was a difference between a cow and a horse :ROFLMAO:Rasmus
I think that the same applies to all veggies, I know, I lived with one for long enough.:moon2:

swanseapete

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Swansea of course!!
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
0 but hoping lots to come
But I don't have a carbon footprint .... I drive everywhere in my gas guzzling hummer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
But I don't have a carbon footprint .... I drive everywhere in my gas guzzling hummer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I had to smile, there is a regular hummer driver runs up and down the sea front near me looks very nice. I walked passed his hummer parked up and noticed that he sits on a child extension seat. bet he has a small footprint.:Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
If they really wanted to worry about carbon footprints they would put a tax on Aviation fuel at the same rate that we have to pay on cars. They would stop the stupid unnecessary movement of food from country to country to satisfy 'consumer demand' get back to seasonal produce lets face it you can buy anything any time of the year now food picked in Africa today is in UK tomorrow and being sold the day after and it did not get here on a horse and cart.

IMHO its just another tax to keep the Eurocrats in the style we have let them become accustomed to.

Sadly also we dont know what of our rights have been signed away by good old GB who appeared to sign any old piece of paper that was shoved under his nose

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If they really wanted to worry about carbon footprints they would put a tax on Aviation fuel at the same rate that we have to pay on cars. They would stop the stupid unnecessary movement of food from country to country to satisfy 'consumer demand' get back to seasonal produce lets face it you can buy anything any time of the year now food picked in Africa today is in UK tomorrow and being sold the day after and it did not get here on a horse and cart.

IMHO its just another tax to keep the Eurocrats in the style we have let them become accustomed to.

how true... just the other day I picked up a bag of cooking onions.. grown in Australia .. :Doh:

I put them back and looked for local grown.. no chance, the next tray came from Chile:Sad:

I can understand importing fruits we can't grow in the UK .. .. but onions ?

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
A recent TV programme stated that potatoes from Egypt had a smaller carbon footprint than those ompoted from Holland. The reason given was that the Dutch product was grown in heated glasshouses and used various fertilisers. Seems there are factors at play other than transport costs.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I know people say you should not look back but why potatoes from either Holland or Egypt - 60 years ago potatoes were grown in the UK - earlies mids and lates the lates were dug and put in cloches ( earth pits) and I cannot remember ever being short of potatoes. New potatoes are possibly better flavoured and 'more attractive' but it gets back to seasonal produce.

Its supermarkets that cause the problems - if they stock it because they can get it then we the daft public buy it - thereby creating the demand that fuels the need to supply

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back