coupey

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Not sure exactly where to start as there are so many things but here goes, sorry if you fall asleep whilst reading this.

At last after a rather long delay we eventually got the call to say it’s arrived and they would be picking it up from the docks a week Wednesday gone. They had the hand brake and UK 240v sockets to fit and then it would be ready. If fairness to them they installed more sockets than they would normally, or so they say and all at the exact locations we asked for. Then got a call on Friday afternoon to say it’s all finished and he was taking it to the local campsite ready for our arrival. Spoke to all my family and as we were so excited to see it we decided to set off on the 4 ½ hour trip that evening. We were met at the site and the new fiver looked very impressive and extremely big, but from the outside perfect.

Now in the ordering process we had spent hours and hours, days and days searching the websites in America to find the exact 5er we wanted. A rather daunting task of handing over 29k on something you’ve only seen a few pictures on the internet, but we eventually found the right one for us and the only downside was the interior colour schemes that we didn’t especially love but there was a certain green shade on the furniture etc that we all liked. The website we found the unit on hand over 30 pictures of the inside and out and we placed the order based on the exact spec of it.

So you can imagine our dismay when we opened the door to find that it was a brownish colour fabric and perhaps the colour that my wife hated the most, bugger :cry:. Comment from the supplier, well it’s ok, you can’t really tell the difference and we did order the green one. Ummm now what, well the rest of the inside was spot on, all the extra’s and layout and it looks so impressive, it was late and he wanted to get away, he had bought flowers and a bottle of wine, both of which were very nice :Smile:

Saturday morning up early as wanted to see the 5er in day light and have a good look around and to see how everything worked or not. More dismay, the front belly locker was different, there was no bike rack factory fitted to the rear, the access ladder was missing all these items were either ordered specifically or were clearly shown in the pictures that we had looked at on the net. A few other minor things like the refillable gas bottles not on but standard full calor bottles and the carbon monoxide detector making a very loud high pitched noise that they hadn’t spotted. But the best one was a small window panel missing, on the inside all the windows have a secondary window clipped to them, Americans idea for double glazing, I mentioned the fact that it was not there and to which I later found out that it had been taken to see if a UK supplier could manufacture it. So we now have to wait for the bike rack and ladder which should have been factory fitted to arrive via snail mail and which we will have to fit our self and a new carbon monoxide detector and the window panel. Bloody great ehh!!!! :Angry::Angry:

And now to top it all off we have the water pump randomly starting up to pressurise the water system and after spending over 4 hours checking every pipe and fitting we found the back of the rear toilet leaking very slightly, so fixed that and would you believe its still kicking in and out,arghhh. :Angry:

My polite email to the supplier after I tried phoning and texting resulted in a very short blunt reply saying the pump may be sucking in air and the location of the pump, which I knew fine well where the bloody pump was as we had checked for leaks etc and that was that.

To say that I am mad :Angry: would be an understatement, really not sure what to do now, you could say I’m all at a loss, thought writing it all down and posting it on here would hopefully make me feel better. Sorry for the amount of writing, I have tried to keep it to the short version.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Sorry to hear your story now i cant tell you whats legal and so on but i would double check the order form or whatever you filled in and see what it says and id be making them pay for fitting all the stuff they didnt. Im sure some guys will be along to advise you better but if it had been me i wouldnt have took the keys for it if it was the wrong one.

Gerry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
To say that I am mad :Angry: would be an understatement, really not sure what to do now.

Everything normal then. I feel embarrassed at not suffering when we bought our van.

Did you buy off a UK dealer or send cash direct to America ?

I think you are an angry man with limited options.

Send it back.
Re-cover.
Sell it here.
Get used to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Now in the ordering process we had spent hours and hours, days and days searching the websites in America to find the exact 5er we wanted. A rather daunting task of handing over 29k on something you’ve only seen a few pictures on the internet, but we eventually found the right one for us and the only downside was the interior colour schemes that we didn’t especially love but there was a certain green shade on the furniture etc that we all liked. The website we found the unit on hand over 30 pictures of the inside and out and we placed the order based on the exact spec of it.

Fait acomplit in my book, you did not get what you ordered and paid for, either get a substantial rebate or they supply what you ordered.

Peter

OP
OP
coupey

coupey

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Did I mention the fact also on the way home with it on the back of my pick-up the brakes on the axle they fitted the hand brake too set on fire due to the attachment point where the cable went onto the brake shoes. The shackle had jammed onto the side of the drum and it had been binding on for about 15 miles along the A14 eventually noticed the smoke pouring out from the wheels and then sat for 2 1/2hours while they sent some body out to fix it.

We bought from a UK dealer and you could say we were desperate to get the 5er as we had already missed our main holidays away due to its much later arrival and I decided it will be ok, which it is a fantastic unit, as we had more holidays booked before the kids go back to school. Possibly the wrong thing to do but I didn't want to disapoint them anymore.

I suppose the colour will grow on us and lets hope the missing items turn up and they fit them.

We are at the lakes this week and we are onto our 6th day of sunshine :thumb: most unusual for this area

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry to read all has not gone smoothly for you, hopefully you will get the missing bits quickly and they should either fit them of get them fitted, but i would of expected the wrongly couloured upholstry to have been put right by them, I know the likes of kalder and niche have had interiors recovered when not as expected.

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
:Doh:
Not sure exactly where to start as there are so many things but here goes, sorry if you fall asleep whilst reading this.

At last after a rather long delay we eventually got the call to say it’s arrived and they would be picking it up from the docks a week Wednesday gone. They had the hand brake and UK 240v sockets to fit and then it would be ready. If fairness to them they installed more sockets than they would normally, or so they say and all at the exact locations we asked for. Then got a call on Friday afternoon to say it’s all finished and he was taking it to the local campsite ready for our arrival. Spoke to all my family and as we were so excited to see it we decided to set off on the 4 ½ hour trip that evening. We were met at the site and the new fiver looked very impressive and extremely big, but from the outside perfect.

So you can imagine our dismay when we opened the door to find that it was a brownish colour fabric and perhaps the colour that my wife hated the most, bugger :cry:. Comment from the supplier, well it’s ok, you can’t really tell the difference and we did order the green one. Ummm now what, well the rest of the inside was spot on, all the extra’s and layout and it looks so impressive, it was late and he wanted to get away, he had bought flowers and a bottle of wine, both of which were very nice :Smile:

Saturday morning up early as wanted to see the 5er in day light and have a good look around and to see how everything worked or not. More dismay, the front belly locker was different, there was no bike rack factory fitted to the rear, the access ladder was missing all these items were either ordered specifically or were clearly shown in the pictures that we had looked at on the net. A few other minor things like the refillable gas bottles not on but standard full calor bottles and the carbon monoxide detector making a very loud high pitched noise that they hadn’t spotted. But the best one was a small window panel missing, on the inside all the windows have a secondary window clipped to them, Americans idea for double glazing, I mentioned the fact that it was not there and to which I later found out that it had been taken to see if a UK supplier could manufacture it. So we now have to wait for the bike rack and ladder which should have been factory fitted to arrive via snail mail and which we will have to fit our self and a new carbon monoxide detector and the window panel. Bloody great ehh!!!! :Angry::Angry:

And now to top it all off we have the water pump randomly starting up to pressurise the water system and after spending over 4 hours checking every pipe and fitting we found the back of the rear toilet leaking very slightly, so fixed that and would you believe its still kicking in and out,arghhh. :Angry:

My polite email to the supplier after I tried phoning and texting resulted in a very short blunt reply saying the pump may be sucking in air and the location of the pump, which I knew fine well where the bloody pump was as we had checked for leaks etc and that was that.

To say that I am mad :Angry: would be an understatement, really not sure what to do now, you could say I’m all at a loss, thought writing it all down and posting it on here would hopefully make me feel better. Sorry for the amount of writing, I have tried to keep it to the short version.

Hi Coupey

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your 5ver. I was at CCRV today having our GMC 2500 serviced and MOT'd.

I can't comment on the service you have received however I can comment on the service we received from CCRV. We were the same, spent hours looking online, We visited CCRV and saw a model that we liked, went away and spent more hours looking for the exact model we liked on RVWholesalers , printed off the Model, Spec, Extras we wanted,Colour etc on the order form then emailed it to CCRV. We paid a deposit with the order then waited. When it arrived we went to see it to make sure it was what we ordered. It was thankfully however, we noticed that it didn't have a safe fitted, but soon realised that after checking our order form we hadn't specified a safe, but because we had seen so many pictures on the internet of a Wildcat 31thsb some dealers depending if they are east coast/west coast fit addtional extras, ie, safe, kitchen towel roller etc,etc

We did not pay the balance until the day we went to the campsite for handover. Although we had already seen our unit when it first arrived we certainly would not have paid the balance if it was so different from what we had order, and we would have also held back on full payment if bits were missing.

We had a water leak in our front locker on the 2nd day, but the source was soon located, ie the filter housing was not tight enough.

We had a 2 days on the site to find and play with buttons, but we are still learning its taken me 5 months to work out the entertainment system :Doh:

We have found it a huge learning curve and we are still learning.

Distance buying is always going to be an issue.

Ant & Debs

OP
OP
coupey

coupey

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Thanks Ant & Debs,

i think our biggest problem was the disapointment in waiting twice as long as was originaly promised which greatly affected our holidays. We are currently spending our second week in it now and it really is fantastic and I suppose we will get used to the colour.

We did the same as you and stayed 2 days and paid the remainder of the money on the promise that the missing items would be soon sent (i'm not holding my breath though) I have spent many hours now with help from a fellow camper trying to find / figure out the pump problems to no avail and I did try to contact them via the various forms of comunications as funsters sugested but the reply I got was less than helpful.

So what am I saying, umm, we like the 5er alot just disapointed alot too, yes we shudn't have accepted it and asked for the one we ordered but foolishly we were desperate for our holidays and this I accept as my problem and I'll learn to live with that. It was just the attitude regarding the missing items etc and I was getting more and more annoyed every time I was thinking about it. Writing on here and chatting has definatley helped.

On a happier note the weather has been fantastic here all week and with 2 more days forecast we will enjoy our time away.

Thanks for everybodies comments and if anybody has any ideas why the water pump keeps presurising it would be greatly appreciated :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not what you ordered, they are having a laugh sue them for your money back.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
did you order it in the UK from a UK dealer?

not what you ordered, they are having a laugh sue them for your money back.

If and I say if you ordered it from a UK dealer and paid them money then the Sale of Goods Act applies.

But until I know that you did order it from a UK (Scottish and English law slightly different) but the contract was between a UK dealer and yourselves then the Sale of Goods Act apply's and you may have recourse through civil law.

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If and I say if you ordered it from a UK dealer and paid them money then the Sale of Goods Act applies.

But until I know that you did order it from a UK (Scottish and English law slightly different) but the contract was between a UK dealer and yourselves then the Sale of Goods Act apply's and you may have recourse through civil law.

Bob

Provided you bought it as an individual rather than as or through a business. Sale of Goods Act only applies to "consumers".

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
disagree...

Provided you bought it as an individual rather than as or through a business. Sale of Goods Act only applies to "consumers".

You need to look at the actual contract. If the item was in the normal course of business I would agree but civil law would then kick in and the 'Equity' issue ( means fairness in law from the French word) would be applied. Complex, but if the item was supplied to a PRIVATE person which I presume is the case then Sale of Goods Act applies, if a company then there is still recourse in law if you do not get what you ordered. Consensus at idem would apply as if one party beleives that they are buyng eggs and get oranges then the contract is null and void or damages would apply. Brown fabric is not green fabric and that iks a fundemental breach of the contract OK it is a 5th wheeler, but the make up of the parts make the whole and has a direct effect on the said contract.

Without the benefit of more details I can only give a thumb nail view of the law of contract. But as Roger (Wildman) said I would not accept the situation.

Bob... over to you:Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yep. They are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act and The Supply of Goods and Services Act.

Just check the contract to make sure it says English law governs the contract and take it from there.

Suggest you then see a decent lawyer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back