Hastings
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hi

Just joined.

Been about a bit, done a bit, seen a bit!

Expert? NO!

Mistakes? Made a lot!

Lessons? Learned a lot!

Never thought it would happen to me BUT!

RV Awning (20' A&E) extended unexpectedly and came adrift at 70mph on a very fast and busy dual carriageway - lost the lot - only pleased that no-one was injured as the cassette, the arms and the full extended canopy were travelling some when I caught sight of it in the mirror with traffic swerving all over the place. Friendly skip lorry driver stopped, protected me from the traffic and took away the debris. What a miraculous escape I had! - all for the sake of a couple of velcro straps.

Anyway, I've googled rv awnings but all I can get is sites offering spares - where can I buy the full kit.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received and acknowledged

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

I had the same misfortune on the M6 .. a side gust unfurled the canvas from the roller and ripped it off ... fortunately the legs weren't damaged ..

To prevent this happening you need to fit a strap around the roller, putting velcro straps around the legs won't prevent it ..

here is what I fitted, from Starspangledspanner .. Duncan will also advise on a full awning

Link Removed

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Anyway, I've googled rv awnings but all I can get is sites offering spares - where can I buy the full kit.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received and acknowledged

Hi and welcome, depends on what awning you are looking for, Fiamma do a 5.5m which is about 18.3 feet

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bradders

Bradders

Free Member
Sep 2, 2010
Hastings
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hi

I had the same misfortune on the M6 .. a side gust unfurled the canvas from the roller and ripped it off ... fortunately the legs weren't damaged ..

To prevent this happening you need to fit a strap around the roller, putting velcro straps around the legs won't prevent it ..

here is what I fitted, from Starspangledspanner .. Duncan will also advise on a full awning

Link Removed

Still struggling with this forum lark - seem to be jumping about all over the place - anyway - thanks for the quick response and the advice - your google map is brilliant!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Still struggling with this forum lark - seem to be jumping about all over the place - anyway - thanks for the quick response and the advice - your google map is brilliant!

Thanks, you seem to be doing fine .. :thumb:

I have been compiling the map for several years with the help of another member, Olley .. all sites have been used by myself and fellow RVers .. so you can use with confidence .. it's open to all so feel free to pass around. .. and if you have use a site not listed please let me know .. a picture is also useful . Only last week I had a request from a Swedish RV forum asking for permission to use.. not often that happens .. :roflmto:

Re Awning, Duncan is a member on here and very knowledgeable and helpful .. if he can't supply, he will know a man who can :winky:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Welcome to the forum Bradders - It's been a font of knowledge already ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of your mishap. but glad no one was hurt.
Duncan Star Spangled banner
or
Linda Stateside tuning
are both members here who will be able to help.
You could also try
Dave Evans, of Cannock also a member here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back