Danger of fire - JML Pest Shield (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the excellent Link Removed, Roger has mentioned the use of ultrasonic rodent deterrents.

We have a reasonably large garden backing onto fields so get mice in the garage from time to time and a couple of years ago we got some in the house. To try to keep them out we bought a JML Pest Shield for the house but then Jill read of a better one so the JML was relegated to the garage.

By pure coincidence I was talking to my neighbour about them this morning and it reminded me that the JML didn't seem to be doing much good (I've caught mice in the garage from time to time). On taking it out of the socket I found discolouration on both the outside and the "prong" side and signs of melting near the prongs. The device isn't working and has obviously gone wrong at some time causing it to overheat. Luckily it didn't catch fire.

I've heard in the past of a plug-in timer causing a house fire so it's a good idea for anyone who has any of these "plug in and forget" devices to check them on a regular basis and make sure that they aren't overheating.

Graham

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Wise word Graham:thumb:

We had some of those timer widgets and indeed one of them did start to discolour and smell, that smell of burning plastic. I wont use them now.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Graham

I think it is more likely the wall socket is causing the problem rather than the prongs.. these devices only use milliamps.

The female prongs in the socket can become slack and eventually start to heat up , thereby passing the heat to the plug. Loose connection(s) in the socket also cause this..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have the those ultrasonic rodent deterrents at work. I had to move the one in the office as I could hear it, so either I have good hearing for my age or have rodent tendencies. :Blush:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi Graham

I think it is more likely the wall socket is causing the problem rather than the prongs.. these devices only use milliamps

the female prongs in the socket can become slack and eventually start to heat up , passing the heat to the plug. Loose connection(s) in the socket also cause this..

In the case of our timer widget, it was definatly the widget at fault and not the socket, mind you you're not wrong as I had a problem with one of the house sockets, so undid the screws and it came of in my hand, ALL the wires live staring at me. Turned the power of then:Blush::Doh:

We have the those ultrasonic rodent deterrents at work. I had to move the one in the office as I could hear it, so either I have good hearing for my age or have rodent tendencies. :Blush:

Me to, they drive me mad :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In the case of our timer widget, it was definatly the widget at fault and not the socket, mind you you're not wrong as I had a problem with one of the house sockets, so undid the screws and it came of in my hand, ALL the wires live staring at me. Turned the power of then:Blush::Doh:

I don't like these plug in timers .. especially the cheap ones .. I had a one fail and when I had a gander inside it was absolutely rubbish .. maybe ok for a low wattage lamp .. but some use them on washing machines / dryers .. with a 3kw load

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
but some use them on washing machines / dryers .. with a 3kw load

:Eeek: I'd love to think you are kidding but........:Doh:

Reminds me of next doors Mrs. You know how it is, you need to drill a quick hole and the plugs just to far away, so you grab the extension lead unroll just what you need, drill said quick hole and put the lead away, porper use unroll completely, yes?

Next door had done this without realising Mrs kicking about, so he's at work and as they are redoing the kitchen there is nowhere to plug in the washing machine OR drier. Yup, she grabs extension lead, unrolls a foot or two, plugs BOTH in and hits go. Fortunatly just a new extension lead needed but it does teriffy me the lack of understanding some people have of what they are doing, and I'm no expert:Eeek:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just checked the socket. Wiring connections are nice and tight and insertion/removal of plugs is positive with no feel of slackness.

Looks like it was the device in this case but obviously good advice to check sockets (and plugs on devices) from time to time as well.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:Eeek: I'd love to think you are kidding but........:Doh:

Reminds me of next doors Mrs. You know how it is, you need to drill a quick hole and the plugs just to far away, so you grab the extension lead unroll just what you need, drill said quick hole and put the lead away, porper use unroll completely, yes?

Next door had done this without realising Mrs kicking about, so he's at work and as they are redoing the kitchen there is nowhere to plug in the washing machine OR drier. Yup, she grabs extension lead, unrolls a foot or two, plugs BOTH in and hits go. Fortunatly just a new extension lead needed but it does teriffy me the lack of understanding some people have of what they are doing, and I'm no expert:Eeek:

Nothing surprises me .. I've seen it all , and worse ..

but even a small load on an an unwound extension cable will cause it to heat up.. I saw exactly the same thing happen to a guy using a 4 " angle grinder .. and some of the sights you see on aires are scary .. van after van piggy backed onto each other with little regard to load .. yet they get away with it .. :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back