Hymer s700 1984 HELP PLEASE ! (1 Viewer)

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Hi all !

On the weekend my wife and I bought the above - and she really is a beautyful ol' girl !

Most if not all of the electrics are working - solar, 12v, 240v, all the meters, Generator - lovely inside.

Engine will probably take a bit of getting used to - 1st seems pointless ! 2nd not much better ! But when up and running it was cruising along at 67mph - is this good ?

And this brings me to my first question ! Whatever measures how fast you are going came off on the motorway. At first I thought I ran over some debris - until I looked at the speedometer which was showing a big fat ZERO ! I am praying this is not an expensive fix as every penny we have saved went on the vehicle :(

Can anybody please direct me to the part that I will require ?

I also understand 80% of the dials and meters inside, but not all ! Especially the two dials under the front passenger side (one of them has summer / winter / off options) - what is this for - without stating the obvious please !

There is also some oil dripping after the journey home - I plan to put it in a garage for an intial check over when we get some pennies saved but in the meantime could do with some pice of mind ! And should I get teh cam belt looked at as well ?

If there is an 'all you should know' guide somewhere here that would be great if you know of it !

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance.

Jof.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
67mph sounds pretty reasonable. Assuming you have the 2.9 L diesel engine. Cruise with my 670, a bit shorter than the 700, at similar speeds (automatic).

Sounds like your speedo cable may be broken, shouldn't be too expensive. Assuming I understood your question.

Regarding the oil leak. Have you checked the level? Might have been overfilled. If it is dripping from the sump, could it be coming from the front crank oil seal or the sump gasket? If there is oil dripping from the bell housing maybe the rear crank oil seal but then you would notice issues with the clutch I guess. If it is running ok doesn't sound too serious but changing seals won't be cheap. There are other places it could be coming from.

I thought I had an oil leak, was running on cooking oil for a while and it turned out to be the fuel (cooking oil/diesel mix) leaking (all thick and gloopy, unlike pure diesel) from the perished fuel pipes on the top of the engine. So replaced all my fuel pipes on the top of the engine and out of the fuel tank and all is fine now. Cheap to do. Doesn't sound as if this is your problem though. Now I run straight diesel as it's too much hassle for the mileage I do.

Again assuming your's is diesel it has a cam chain I believe and doesn't need the regular replacement like a cam belt. Not sure about the petrol but I imagine it is similar. The Merc engine of this era is almost bomb proof. You made a good choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
What year is it again?

Are you sure it is an 84 or is that a typo? The s700 didn't come out till about 89 I thought?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi all !

On the weekend my wife and I bought the above - and she really is a beautyful ol' girl !

Most if not all of the electrics are working - solar, 12v, 240v, all the meters, Generator - lovely inside.

Engine will probably take a bit of getting used to - 1st seems pointless ! 2nd not much better ! But when up and running it was cruising along at 67mph - is this good ?

And this brings me to my first question ! Whatever measures how fast you are going came off on the motorway. At first I thought I ran over some debris - until I looked at the speedometer which was showing a big fat ZERO ! I am praying this is not an expensive fix as every penny we have saved went on the vehicle :(

Can anybody please direct me to the part that I will require ?

I also understand 80% of the dials and meters inside, but not all ! Especially the two dials under the front passenger side (one of them has summer / winter / off options) - what is this for - without stating the obvious please !

There is also some oil dripping after the journey home - I plan to put it in a garage for an intial check over when we get some pennies saved but in the meantime could do with some pice of mind ! And should I get teh cam belt looked at as well ?

If there is an 'all you should know' guide somewhere here that would be great if you know of it !

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance.

Jof.

I run a 1992 S700. Mercedes 410D Transporter (not the Sprinter) Model 611.4 engine 602.940 5 cyl 2874cc

You will find the need for 2nd when you load up. 1st is crawler and useful for getting away quicker at junctions when loaded.

This vehicle weighs in unladen at about 3.5 ton but is capable of carrying 1.5 ton of load. (3400kg unladen 4600kg laden).

This engine has a timing chain not a cam belt. However I would recommend that you get the fan belt and tensioner done.

My fanbelt snapped and the garage fitted a new one. A year later it came off again and this garage diagnosed that the tensioner was not working.

Fan belt £20 Tensioner £30 Total Bill on each occasion over £350 as they have to strip the whole front off the vehicle and radiator to do the job.

John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
HI all - thanks fopr the responses :thumb:

Its definitely 1984 - so maybe I should lose the S and say its a 700 :Doh:

Im not sure the cable is the issue with the speedo as I definitely ran over something that gave a thud thud thud to the undercarriage :cry:

Yes its the diesel 2.9l Merc. I did read up loads and loads which is why I went for this one. Like I say the interior is just fantastic really.

The oil could be due to an overfill on behalf of the seller - as this was the case with the water coming out of what i assume is the release valve underneath the Rad. At the 2nd stop there was no more water coming out. No problems with the clutch at all.

My guess was a gasket / seal issue - and yes I imagine the labour involved in replacing this is expensive, even if the parts aren't. Its dripping, from what I can seal, from the main gasket area - where the largest seal is. Sorry im no mechanic and honestly dont know what thi sis called !

Its going to go in for a check up tho - for piece of mind - and a few hundred quid is a fraction of the worth of the vehicle so it will be money well spent.

Thank you once again for putting me right on a few things :thumb:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suspect you have the longer version of my (1987) Hymer 660S... the 700S (I believe the S denotes a luxury package hence your onboard generator etc)

Mine is twin rear wheeled and rated at 4.5 ton.

It lives in Portugal and the mechanics there are well used to working on these chassises and engines given that they keep their vehicles running much longer over there than here(less rust and lower labour charges and no snobby number plate syndrome.)

These Hymers really are well built...

JJ

PS... I rarely drive my old girl at that speed... I enjoy the journey too much to rush it so...

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
HI all - thanks fopr the responses :thumb:

Its definitely 1984 - so maybe I should lose the S and say its a 700 :Doh:

Im not sure the cable is the issue with the speedo as I definitely ran over something that gave a thud thud thud to the undercarriage :cry:

Yes its the diesel 2.9l Merc. I did read up loads and loads which is why I went for this one. Like I say the interior is just fantastic really.

The oil could be due to an overfill on behalf of the seller - as this was the case with the water coming out of what i assume is the release valve underneath the Rad. At the 2nd stop there was no more water coming out. No problems with the clutch at all.

My guess was a gasket / seal issue - and yes I imagine the labour involved in replacing this is expensive, even if the parts aren't. Its dripping, from what I can seal, from the main gasket area - where the largest seal is. Sorry im no mechanic and honestly dont know what thi sis called !

Its going to go in for a check up tho - for piece of mind - and a few hundred quid is a fraction of the worth of the vehicle so it will be money well spent.

Thank you once again for putting me right on a few things :thumb:

From what your saying sounds like you mean the sump gasket if it is at the bottom or the head gasket if it is at the top. Don't know how labour intensive that would be but it would be prudent to make sure it is that before getting anything done and keep an eye on the oil level. It just may have been an overfill or spilt on filling, you never know.

As it is on the Merc chassis it is most definitely an 'S' but I wasn't aware they made the s700 that early but I guess you know what you've got. Probably on the 410 chassis. I've heard it called a bit agricultural but I like it. You can't beat simple design.

If something has been thrown up underneath and clouted the speedo cable, assuming this was possible I don't know, it could have damaged the inner drive core so it is still a strong possibility. This should connect directly to the gearbox and I would have thought it unlikely anything else has been damaged. It might even have come loose.

Would be interesting to know how you get on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
cheers one and all ! :thumb:

Muchos Gratsius !

I will learn to tak emy time - I totally hear you ! I just wanted to get home from Barnsly to Swansea as it was oneeee looonnnnng daaayyyyyy!!!

Jof ::bigsmile:

ps - first time out in it sleepover style is tonite for a few days CANEY WAIT LAD !!!

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
"S" denotes a mercedes chassis and engine.

I am fairly certain that ALL 660 models (and 550) of that era are on Mercedes chassises (they have the "biscuit top" roof) and the "S" refers to the luxury pack which is an optional extra...

That is what I have always understood anyway and I have been drooling after one for three decades... might be wrong though although...

...my brochure seems to say the same...

JJ

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I am fairly certain that ALL 660 models (and 550) of that era are on Mercedes chassises (they have the "biscuit top" roof) and the "S" refers to the luxury pack which is an optional extra...

That is what I have always understood anyway and I have been drooling after one for three decades... might be wrong though although...

...my brochure seems to say the same...

JJ
Do you have an English brochure, the only version I could find I downloaded from the Hymer website and is in German?

I'm not sure about the 'S' standing for the luxury pack but I'm pretty sure it was for the designation for the Merc chassis which was the only chassis that had the one piece roof (biscuit top roof) pre '95. I'm not sure I'd call the Merc chassis the most luxurious either as it can be a bit noisy at high revs

They had me drooling for almost 15 years before I finally found myself in a position to buy one. I think the pre '89 coachwork is the better looking but I wanted certain extras that weren't available till about '93. No regrets here though. Shame it never had a turbo fitted, not sure I'd want to risk stressing an old engine by retro-fitting one never mind the cost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The S700 has a moulded one piece fibreglass roof. All surfaces are rounded to the side panels.

All S models are on the Mercedes chassis.

If the roof is joined to the walls at an angle it is B model.

See my Avatar

John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
UPDATE !!!

Had the Hymer in the garage and from the pit the root of the oil leak problem was clear to see - the SPEEDO Drive (as mentioned above in roundabout terms) was what came off on themotorway - and gearbox oil was being thrown all over the engine.

So now I have to locate a replacement !

I have been searching and searching and I cant find a solution. I have yet to have the papers from the DVLA, but I have the VIN number and this got me thinking. I really would like to confirm the model of HYMER that I have - lots of my reading has got me thinking.

Is it possible for me to do this somewhere online ?

And please please please I need advise about getting a replacement speedo drive that doesnt cost me the earth !! They may not anyway - I have no idea as I cant locate one to get a baseline figure.

Thank you for any help !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Thanks Jon. Just emailed HYMER.

I have put the main pic as my profile pic. It has two front seats - the long sideways seating, and has bunk beds at the rear (and double that comes down in the front cab).

I have loads of pics I can upload but where do they go !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
gordon bennet Jon - navigating to the right brochure is a challenge in itself !!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
my guess was the 665 as well.

I was told its the 700 but as you have mentioned previously there is not a 700 in the catalogue.

Oh well - I need to get the speedo - drive and get the indicators working and the I will get on with enjoying her as all this is making my head hurt now !!

I have emailed HYMER so maybe they will give me a definitive answer :thumb:

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I agree on the 665 on either the 409D or 410D chassis with the 602 engine. Good luck getting the problems fixed.

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
No problem, glad to be of assistance.

Just as an aside, is the speedo attachment that is missing the part that the speedo cable screws into which should be held on with a bolt onto the gearbox? If it is that isn't going to be easy to get as PJ mentioned earlier and you'll probably need to trail about all the breakers yards around you. It is possible that this is common to all the merc chassis, 308, 310, 408, 410 possibly even the 309, 409 or even the 207, 208 but no guarantee.

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
my guess was the 665 as well.

I was told its the 700 but as you have mentioned previously there is not a 700 in the catalogue.

Oh well - I need to get the speedo - drive and get the indicators working and the I will get on with enjoying her as all this is making my head hurt now !!

I have emailed HYMER so maybe they will give me a definitive answer :thumb:

There is a S700 in the 1989 catalogue. However by the description it looks like a 665 as the S700 has either a fixed double or U-shape lounge where you say you have bunk beds.

My S700 has a window on each rear corner your picture looks like it has a solid panel in this location.

IMG_2325.jpg

My Hymer S700​

To load pictures open a Photobucket account and load your pictures there.

Then select the image and select the info in the box marked image and paste it into the posting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
No problem, glad to be of assistance.

Just as an aside, is the speedo attachment that is missing the part that the speedo cable screws into which should be held on with a bolt onto the gearbox? If it is that isn't going to be easy to get as PJ mentioned earlier and you'll probably need to trail about all the breakers yards around you. It is possible that this is common to all the merc chassis, 308, 310, 408, 410 possibly even the 309, 409 or even the 207, 208 but no guarantee.

yep. this is now my main worry, as I will be very unhappy at having to buy the whole unit as i now think I paid top top dollar for this vehicle. Wish me luck people :Sad:

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
A gearbox from a breaker could set you back between £50 and £100 which isn't the end of the world but obviously not cheap. A sympathetic breaker could, if you're lucky, sell you the attachment for a tenner but I wouldn't bank on it. You could try the motor factors, you never know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
A gearbox from a breaker could set you back between £50 and £100 which isn't the end of the world but obviously not cheap. A sympathetic breaker could, if you're lucky, sell you the attachment for a tenner but I wouldn't bank on it. You could try the motor factors, you never know.

is that all then ? thats ok - i thought I would be looking at 700-800 squid !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back