LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Heres a little story I heard about last evening sat at teh dock side. Not a tall tale but a true story told separately by man and wife and I hope have encouraged both another funster and a letter to MMM. Some may already know this but perhaps not the consequences.

First things first, this is true, I promise yo I have an eye and an ear for this so just know so, if anyone would like to add a question I will try my best to answer as I know I would of asked the chap the same question in an attempt to ensure my source.

This is the story of a gentleman who is not particularly hard up but a little bit of a jack the lad even though probably knocking on late 60s, Owning a very nice 32k motorhome he arrived back in to Dover nearly 3 years back. He had with him a couple of Gs worth of fags and Bacca. Being a non smoker he was stopped and asked at customs about it. Basically this is where it all went wrong. Instead of saying he had it and it was for personal use and he was a heavy smoker along with his wife bla bla bla, he said he had none. However searching through draws garages etc, customs officers found some. He was then offered the opportunity to say if he had any more, he said he never did and low and behold a further search of the van revealed plenty more.

This gentleman was then questioned for several hours, given all his tobacco back and a number of a local driver/van hire bloke to transfer it all back to his house. However, his motorhome and all in it was seized.

To this day he has not been able to get this overturned. he has been to high court and above, and says it is very unlikely he will see it again. He has spent further 1000s getting lawyers involved to no avail. It seems like that's that. The chap was really good fun and philisopical about the whole thing and had bought a more expensive newer motorhome but was obviously still shaken by the event.

He was not after sympathy, in fact very matter of fact on blaming himself for it but I thought a story well worth sharing.
The fall down was the fact that once asked you MUST declare what you have, to my knowledge and what I was told, it could even of been a gift for others providing it was not for sale. That is not smuggling, however, hiding it away and denying you have it is smuggling and can and DOES in cases lead too vechile siezures.

amazing story that Nikki and I were told and thought it worth sharing. :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i do believe this to be a true story paul, but i find it hard to believe they allowed him to keep the contraband tobacco.
its usually confiscated as well if duty isnt paid on it.

could it have been east europeans looking for a new van :roflmto:

why do you think the tobacco tourists/baccy barons use beaten up transits....'cos they know if stopped it'll be confiscated and ultimately crushed.

it has also been known for customs and excise to stop suspect vehicles once they've left the port and on the motorway.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
All I can say is he got what he deserved. Why lie to them? They're going to find the stuff so tell them and be upfront about it.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
He knew what he was doing so why lie! He obviously got you believing his story :Eeek:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO: yes you must declair if asked,,:thumb: yes the law says we have the right to seize your vech or the vech you are trav in weather you own it or not ie coach or lorry,also after un stated contreband goods are found we have the right to strip/examine veh,,,, sorry :Doh::Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Definitely got what he deserved. Smuggling is theft - from all of us. For every pound that smugglers avoid paying a pound has to be raised through alternative taxation and that comes from the rest of us.

Graham

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
A stupid person

What does he think the customs officers are there for? it is to make sure you pay the correct duty on the items you buy. (if they can catch you). We all have brought in more than we are allowed I suspect at one time or another. I have I know. Mainly parts for my RV in my carry on bags... the odd extra bottle of spirit.

The differance is when we get a large van, be it a transit or a motorhome that is loaded full with contraband..That is what it is... I have even seen Motability cars ceased by HM Customs and Revenue where they think that the car cannot be ceased.. it can and they are (they are then returned to Motability leasing for disposal and no they do not get another car)... I have seen the vans that are loaded up and if they get caught then that is rightly fair in my mind.

Remember the Customs are doing a job.. looking mainly for illegals and drugs and those that try to bring contraband in to the UK, as another post says it is all of us that pay for this by more taxes. I accept the odd infringement, but not the truck full or the camper full. I doubt they would have allowed him to keep the goods even with an offer to pay the duty as the offence has been carried out when he lied.. so everything goes. Rightly so.

Now who has filled up with cheap fuel on the way back? that in it's own way is trying to beat the system.. Yes we all do.

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
All I can say is he got what he deserved. Why lie to them? They're going to find the stuff so tell them and be upfront about it.

D.

he agrees with you Dave, he feels the punnishment does not fit the crime. One thing he was not is a 5 trip a week smuggler in the true sense of the word., more of someone whom spotted what he thought was an opportunity.

He knew what he was doing so why lie! He obviously got you believing his story :Eeek:

I think you need to re read the post. He never got me believing his story in any sense other than to say he was stupid for thinking he could make a few quick quid like MANY PEOPLE INCLUDING ON HERE DO. As said above does the punnishment fit the crime?
As Papajohn says, if he was a true smuggler he would be using a 15 yr old transit. He made an error of judgement.

The purpose of the post was not to condem the man, trust me hes done enough of that himself, it was merely to make people aware of what not to do if your stopped with a few too many fags on board for auntie flo and uncle Harry which does happen.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Personally I doubt it happened that way:RollEyes:
Giving him the baccy back makes nonsense of it
Surly if a crime had been committed then the baccy would have been evidence:whatthe:
ergo no evidence, no crime, no confiscation of vehicle
To give him it back would also make HM revenue and customs complicit in the crime
prehaps Bob can comment
Geo

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
This chap was wrong in what he did, he knew it before he did it. He accepts the consequences and thats that.

It is a good warning for the minority of people who may not be aware of the consequences of their actions.

I do find it a bit rich for people to complain about them having to subsidise this mans actions through having to pay extra tax.

If these bleeding hearts had their way smoking in this country would be totally banned and then they would have to dig a bit deeper to pay our taxes. Tobacco is one of the highest revenue earners in the country. You cant have it all ways so make up your minds.

I know of one poster in this thread who earns his money from the taxpayer in a totally immoral way. Look inside your own dark closet before rushing to condem others, thats my opinion.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Surly if a crime had been committed then the baccy would have been evidence:whatthe:
To give him it back would also make HM revenue and customs complicit in the crime
prehaps Bob can comment
Geo

I did think that Geo, and as said in the initial post asked the question.
He attempted to even prove that he smoked and he and his wife were attempting to roll cigarettes in front of them. :ROFLMAO: so, he said to me that the customs office have a number of a company that will come and collect all the goods for you and transport them home when your vechile is seized. So in his words its a "normal" thing to happen, something about being able to prove that you used the vechile to transport the goods in illigally but unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt what your intentions were with the smuggled goods. I hope that makes sense or again I wonder if bob would be able to offer some extra on it?
Still something worth knowing if you have a locker full of baccy for your kids separate from your own.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just being a dumb blonde from the popular jokes I won't be giving an in depth answer but the first thing that springs to mind for me is that he is in fact being fined £32,000 for his misdeed ... and when you look at what people get fined for beating up innocents then it seems ridiculous.... but that doesn't mean to say he wasn't in the wrong.

Secondly, completely aside .... please Slobberdobadob will you explain the American thingy on the bottom of your post cos I have sat for ages trying to work it out.:Sad: Thank you.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Customs and Excise law unto themselves

prehaps Bob can comment
Geo

It is a bit like VATman the (read Customs and Excise in general) have untold powers.. far in excess of police. They can do what they want in effect and you have some recourse in law but not a lot. I personally doubt the goods were given back, not as evidence but that is a valid point, but more that it would allow an appeal to the non retention of the vehicle. Which is limited. I have in the past years - way back seen many car and vans being sold at auction minus fuel tanks etc., that have been ceased at ports with drugs found in them Customs and Excise always sell them in the end.. money to the crown. Contraband is burnt or disposed of and not resold. I have never heard of goods being returned and the car or van kept. There is nothing I can see in the law books that says it cannot happen, but I cannot find any referance to it ever happening either.

It sounds like a shaggy dog story that has been past on and on and changed as it moves from one person to the next. Any idiot that uses a motor home, given the value that risks this is mad. It is often the cheap transit, or more often now a hire car - new and less likly to attract attention unless it is sitting on the floor due to the load weight. But it is not a wise thing to do.

Do remember that if it is coming from the EU and the local duty has been paid on the goods then the allowance is fairly high in most items so this would have had to been well over the limits to get customs to act the way it is told.

Just my view

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's right. I think you can take 3000 fags in these days.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
only if over 18

Still something worth knowing if you have a locker full of baccy for your kids separate from your own.

Yes each person has there own allowance for PERSONAL USE so age comes into it.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It comes from an American advert for Jeep

Secondly, completely aside .... please Slobberdobadob will you explain the American thingy on the bottom of your post cos I have sat for ages trying to work it out.:Sad: Thank you.

No such thing as a dumb blond in my book, they are pretty smart on the whole... the signature is based on an American Advert sometime back about jeep cars.

As I drive an American Winnebago it applies to that... I actually have the words on the side locker of the RV... A lot of European and UK motor home owners do not understand what we see in an American motorhome... may be it is all the mod cons... or the big fuel bill for the V10 6.8 petrol engine?

Bob:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I hope that is not me you are talking about?

I know of one poster in this thread who earns his money from the taxpayer in a totally immoral way. Look inside your own dark closet before rushing to condem others, thats my opinion.
Jim
:Smile:

Jim I do hope you do not mean me:RollEyes::RollEyes: I am now retired so I do not get paid by the Legal Services Commission (Old Legal Aid Board) these days - funded by yes the tax payer and me as I paid taxes as well. - Immoral? well I have been call somethings... but immoral is a new one to add to the list. Normally it is based on the jokes, but being a shark is one I heard a lot. or last week by a police officer when I was doing a statement to support a prosecution for criminal damage of a phone box by 5 youths.. he hated Police Station lawyers...as I said to him it is just a job.

But Jim I would have defended you like anyone else, I was not fussy. Cab rank rules first come... crime did not matter we were appointed to represent...

These days if I do anything I charge at the going rate, but then I do little ... free advice often which it is up to the individual to decide if they want to accept or not.. lead a horse to water but you cannot make hime drink.

I take it you smoke -- hence your attack on those that said tax loss. It is up to you if you want to kill yourself smoking. Personal choice. But we could have a long argument on what tax should be paid on anything.. we all pay VATon our fuel, we all pay vat (often without knowing) on buying the motorhome if from a dealer and on the bits we buy for them.

HMG has to get the revenue from somewhere. The allowance to me is silly we should not have any duty free (form elsewhere in the world) we all pay local tax in Europe.. so in some ways it is a double tax if customs charge you.... just the bad system of belonging to the EU. anyway off my hobby horse. I do not want to have bad feelings at Bath & West or Lincoln or here.. just an exchange of views, everyone has them, some more strongly than others... but please, I am not Imorral Jim. At least I was not when I last looked.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
It sounds like a shaggy dog story that has been past on and on and changed as it moves from one person to the next. Any idiot that uses a motor home, given the value that risks this is mad. It is often the cheap transit, or more often now a hire car - n

How dare you insult me:Angry: do you honestly think I would post some shaggy dog story from persons to another,? Its not a shaggy dog storry, it happened, it was the horses mouth, from seperate horses told the same to even the solicitors involved, so I would kindly ask you take that comment back, I only ever post to my best of knowledge factual information. :Angry:

prehaps Bob can comment
Geo

Geo, Nikki just informed me that I had this bit wrong, It was not his Baccy he got back but all the belongings from inside the van. Nikki also says that the lady did not know that he could get back Baccy for friends as gifts otherwise she would of said that.
Perhaps this makes the "story" more correct for you Bob, I apologise for my angry comment but this was never about the rights and wrongs but to point out to those that perhaps do not understand the system correctly the facts :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
even I have trouble understanding sometimes

How dare you insult me:Angry: do you honestly think I would post some shaggy dog story from persons to another,? Its not a shaggy dog storry, it happened, it was the horses mouth, from seperate horses told the same to even the solicitors involved, so I would kindly ask you take that comment back, I only ever post to my best of knowledge factual information. :Angry:

Geo, Nikki just informed me that I had this bit wrong, It was not his Baccy he got back but all the belongings from inside the van. Nikki also says that the lady did not know that he could get back Baccy for friends as gifts otherwise she would of said that.
Perhaps this makes the "story" more correct for you Bob, I apologise for my angry comment but this was never about the rights and wrongs but to point out to those that perhaps do not understand the system correctly the facts :thumb:

If we all understood the the rules, regulations, law then I would never have had a job. Often the facts get mislaid, or out of line with events. Its a bit like chinesse wispers (ever played it?) unless I have heard it from the horses mouth which ever horse that was - lost count now, and I am not re reading all the posts again...sorry... :Blush: but the moral is know what you can and cannot bring back home after a trip. The customs and excise issue we could talk that round uyntil the cows come home and then we would still never understand what makes a customs man tick (or a lawyer for that matter).

The trouble with the written word is it can be taken in the wrong context.. despite using the smile symbols it still can get out of hand. what seems simple in the first post opens up bags of worms and misunderstanding. I always prefer the telephone.. but that is not possible in this media.. but round the camp fire if you follow me, it is something you can often deal with a a few words or a look.:thumb:

Bob

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Slobberdob,:thumb:

I thought it was something like the 'Paddle Faster I hear Banjoes' saying.

Joy

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Tobbacco and its taxation will always be an emotive subject to uk residents that do smoke for the simple reason that you can go to belguim or spain and buy tobbacco products which are packaged here for a third of the price of what you pay in the uk. When we joined the eu it was supposed to be no limit on goods purchased within the eu community but we soon got back to only being allowed to bring so much back in.
I'll stick my neck out here , i smoke and the tobbacco i use is under €4 in spain for a 50g pack over here the same pack is just under £12 and when i buy it in spain i pay the tax/duty charged at that countries rate, but i dare not bring enough in to cover what i smoke inbetween trips otherwise i would be having it confiscated or pay extra tax/duty.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I dare not bring enough in to cover what i smoke inbetween trips otherwise i would be having it confiscated or pay extra tax/duty.

Not according to Customs and Excise ..

Arrivals from EU countries
When arriving into the UK from an EU country you can bring in an unlimited amount of most goods.
For excise goods such as alcohol and tobacco, there are no restrictions. However you must meet the conditions below:
You transport the goods yourself.
The goods are for your own use or as a gift. If the person you give the goods to pays you in any way (including reimbursing you for any expenses or payment in kind), then it's not a gift and the goods may be seized.
The goods are duty and tax paid in the EU country where they were acquired.
If you don't meet these conditions, the goods (and any vehicle that transported them) may be seized.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm

I have visited Belgium several times as a day tripper and brought back a box ( 120 x 50g pouches ) of GV rolling tobacco .. at customs I have declared it , no problems.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
smack on Jim

Not according to Customs and Excise ..

Arrivals from EU countries
When arriving into the UK from an EU country you can bring in an unlimited amount of most goods.
For excise goods such as alcohol and tobacco, there are no restrictions. However you must meet the conditions below:
You transport the goods yourself.
The goods are for your own use or as a gift. If the person you give the goods to pays you in any way (including reimbursing you for any expenses or payment in kind), then it's not a gift and the goods may be seized.
The goods are duty and tax paid in the EU country where they were acquired.
If you don't meet these conditions, the goods (and any vehicle that transported them) may be seized.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm

I have visited Belgium several times as a day tripper and brought back a box ( 120 x 50g pouches ) of GV rolling tobacco .. at customs I have declared it , no problems.

You have it 100% right.. for personal use or a gift (no payment) and there is a normal requirment to be a reasonable amount... that is what sets customs off when someone says a transit van full is for personal use or the van is full or wine and spirits and it is for there daughters wedding. Most travellers do not have a problem. Although some years ago when travelling through a French port in convoy of 12 campers returning from Holland we we turned over en mass in the port on the French side. - found nothing, just decided to have ago at the campers, held us up for hours.

Normally I do not have any problems, but have had the car stopped at the French side of the Euro tunnel on the way back from a toy fair in Holland looking for CD's but not interested in my Z gauge trains... but I was fully loaded with covers over the boxes so I did expect to get a pull... but they were not looking for booze etc., just CD's for some reason. Soon got bored and passed me through, again it was the French customs not the UK post at the Euro Tunnel.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
He knew what he was doing so why lie! He obviously got you believing his story

Sorry I'll put it another way. Why lie to the customs people when he knew he was in the wrong?

... and if he lied to the customs people maybe it was a lie in the first place and he made the whole story up to keep your attention. If you know what I mean.

Dale

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Down here in sunny suffolk we call them jackanory stories. ::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Down here in sunny suffolk we call them jackanory stories. ::bigsmile:

Olley

why?

you were not there and I see little evidence for your statement, I really hope the guy gets his story published in mmm with all the facts he was able to demonstrate to me, or better still joins the forum with the card I left him. However i would think seeing the replies to trying to highlight to those that don't know the rules he will bother,
case closed your honour, in future I will not offer any information for this site on the basis it will all be bull shit. :thumb:

Just to add, I had no idea you can have your MH snatched for not declaring your baccy (I no longer smoked though) or until this moment that you could class your baccy as gifts. I now do thanks to someone sharing his facts, I thought it might be worth pointing out to others, but hey ho, you live and learn

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I wasn't there so I can't say whether it was a lie or not, but I do know I am glad Paul posted this because it has led to a mine of information as to what can happen when people try and smuggle stuff into the country in their motorhomes.... for that I am grateful in that, since I wouldn't be smuggling stuff in anyway, others who might be daft enough to try it might think twice now. :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
stop sulking

case closed your honour, in future I will not offer any information for this site on the basis it will all be bull shit. :thumb:

So what if it is or is not full of it. Look at the number of people that read the post and also responded.. time to worry is when you post and no one bothers to remark. I expect most of the time to get blasted by others a) for my old job and b) that I do not agree with them.. but does that stop me? No No NO .. I still come back again and again (I wonder why.. is it sexual?) anyway I digress as always .. Ronnie Corbet took lessons from me, but if you post on the site you have to expect others will have a view. You seem to think everyone is against you and calling you a lie or spinning bull shit.. we are not, we are just questioning the issue.

We do not know what you were told or how you accepted what was told. But that is not members saying you are the person at fault. As the South Africans say .. get over yourself...

It would be a sad place if you stop posting and took your ball home.

I expect to see you out playing real soon even if it is to have a go at poor old me.:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
why?

you were not there and I see little evidence for your statement, I really hope the guy gets his story published in mmm with all the facts he was able to demonstrate to me, or better still joins the forum with the card I left him. However i would think seeing the replies to trying to highlight to those that don't know the rules he will bother,

Just to add, I had no idea you can have your MH snatched for not declaring your baccy (I no longer smoked though) or until this moment that you could class your baccy as gifts. I now do thanks to someone sharing his facts, I thought it might be worth pointing out to others, but hey ho, you live and learn

I thought it was a helpful thread to be honest.

The story you conveyed had a ring of truth to it and I don't understand why some posters took it the way they did.

As a smoker I will certainly watch my limits. Mrs T would murder me if MY dirty habit lost HER beloved van:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back