Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Hi everyone, need a bit of advice regarding electric fan heaters. Just had a solar panel fitted along with a 1000 watt inverter. Wondered if it is possible to buy an electric fan heater, low wattage obviously, to run for the occasional 10 minutes morning and evening to take chill out of the motorhome. If so can you advise where I can buy one and how I should expect to pay. Keep Smiling ::bigsmile: Nannyjan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi everyone, need a bit of advice regarding electric fan heaters. Just had a solar panel fitted along with a 1000 watt inverter. Wondered if it is possible to buy an electric fan heater, low wattage obviously, to run for the occasional 10 minutes morning and evening to take chill out of the motorhome. If so can you advise where I can buy one and how I should expect to pay. Keep Smiling ::bigsmile: Nannyjan

By a very rough calculation a 1Kw fan heater would draw 85amps from your battery if the inverter was 100% efficient which it won't be. Anything less than 1kw would not be worthwhile. If your inverter is not pure sine wave it may not operate the motor in the fan heater anyway.

I don't think this is a very practicle proposition, however an expert will be along shortly :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with nearlyretired .. totally impractical unless your on EHU

solution:

just run your gas heating for 10 mins .. it's chucking out about 3kw :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

No way. You don't carry enough battery power to generate meaningful heat. That 20 mins would completely drain an average battery.

Haven't you got gas heating ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Jan, Similar van as we know....:winky:.... I find that just ten minutes of the van heater using gas on a low setting of 3 ... just before I get up in the morning really does take the chill off the van.... don't forget the gas hob will be on for your early morning cuppa and all that also heats the small area in our vans.....

I was always amazed how quickly the van heats up.:thumb:

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Hi Jan, Similar van as we know....:winky:.... I find that just ten minutes of the van heater using gas on a low setting of 3 ... just before I get up in the morning really does take the chill off the van.... don't forget the gas hob will be on for your early morning cuppa and all that also heats the small area in our vans.....

I was always amazed how quickly the van heats up.:thumb:

There are cheaper and more fun ways to keep warm Joy......:winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
any use of 12v batteries to provide heating will result in flat batteries in a very short space of time. 350W will take 3 times as long to heat same space as 1 kw so nothing gained. What is wrong with Gas? You have a cooker, maybe an oven and maybe even a gas fire.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Still about 30 - 35 amps. A 100 amphour battery would last some time before odds and ends start ovetrheating.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
put socks on wooly jumper and lots of layers
forget the idea of heating on an inverter your blow something up
hey thtas one way set fire to your motorhome that will be hot :ROFLMAO:

not sure youl put it out in 10 mins though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun