Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
glossop derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 4 years
can anyone advise me we are looking at towing our car behind the motorhome there is a firm in chorley lancs selling strap on fittings to underside of car would need a light board but there are no brakes fitted to it any comments welcomed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
unbraked a frames are recovery only and I believe speed restricted as well for use by emergancy services. Illegal to tow a tad unbraked. If brakes are fitted they must work. Having said all that some people do use them.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im not aware of any motor homer using recovery style a frames(strap on)
there are many using what apear to be unbraked a frames that in fact have internal braking systems inside the toad such as mine (Brake Buddy)etc
There will be of course be people incorrectly using unbraked frames but NOT the strap on versions,which as stated are for recovery only, 20mph on normal roads and 40mph on dual carringways and motorways the last time i looked
If anyone knows someone who is in fact using a Recovery frame they should be made aware of possible insurance ramifications
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Im not aware of any motor homer using recovery style a frames(strap on)
there are many using what apear to be unbraked a frames that in fact have internal braking systems inside the toad such as mine (Brake Buddy)etc
There will be of course be people incorrectly using unbraked frames but NOT the strap on versions,which as stated are for recovery only, 20mph on normal roads and 40mph on dual carringways and motorways the last time i looked
If anyone knows someone who is in fact using a Recovery frame they should be made aware of possible insurance ramifications
Geo

I seem to remember you posting a while back that the overrun braking system (on a Smart) produced legally adequate braking, having in fact tested it yourself. Is my memory playing up?:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I seem to remember you posting a while back that the overrun braking system (on a Smart) produced legally adequate braking, having in fact tested it yourself. Is my memory playing up?:Doh:
Your memory is fine thats exactly what I said
I dont see the conection with this post or any of its replies:whatthe:
Recovery type un braked A Frames dont have an overrun assembly or use the brakes in any form:Eeek::Eeek:
so your point please:thumb:
Geo

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Your memory is fine thats exactly what I said
I dont see the conection with this post or any of its replies:whatthe:
Recovery type un braked A Frames dont have an overrun assembly or use the brakes in any form:Eeek::Eeek:
so your point please:thumb:
Geo

oddly enough i can see the point that Nearlyretired is making??

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Then please enlighten me, clearly I am missing something :Doh:
Geo

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I didn't understand either Geo, but on third or fourth reading, ( I may be wrong) I think the point nearlyretired is making, if an overrun system is adequate, why did you fit a Brake buddy ..

Sorry I think its more like....If you have a SMART with an overrun system then you don't need a brake buddy? I didn't read that Geo was being questioned about his having one (a brake buddy that is) as there is no mention of the type of car (toad?) he is pulling.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:thumb:Something is being lost in translation
I will try and clarify

Any car braking system will produce enough braking force without its servo being operational

This force can be applied using your
1.Your foot
2.An overrun system via a cable
3. A Brake buddy
It is clear that you cant use all three or any two methods at the same time:Doh:
some use an Over run cable, some use a Brake buddy instead
they both do exactly the same thing
Press your cars brake pedal,:thumb: Neither of them intergrate with the servo because the toads engine is not running, the Brake buddy does not apply any more (less in fact) pressure that you could with your foot
So can you now see why some Aframes apper to be un braked,when in fact there is a device inside the car dong exactly the same as a cable would,
To confuse matters even futher my A frame is acually a braked cable type with overrun, but the cable is not used or even fitted I choose to use the brake buddy instead.
Why?
Because its easily transferable from vehicle to vehicle, negates the need to drill the bulkhead for cable entry,and is far more in my opinion reliable
I will repeat it has no extra braking powers than a cable system
I hope that clears things up:thumb:
Geo
Ps A Recovey type strap on A Frame has No braking systemm at all,
An unbraked A frame has no braking system at all (no overrun system either)
I will concede the very latest recovery Strap on systems can and do have an add on cable system available as now used by the AA etc but these are twice/three times the price of a motor home system, so I have discounted those from the argument

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
:thumb:Something is being lost in translation
I will try and clarify

Any car braking system will produce enough braking force without its servo being operational

This force can be applied using your
1.Your foot
2.An overrun system via a cable
3. A Brake buddy
It is clear that you cant use all three or any two methods at the same time:Doh:
some use an Over run cable, some use a Brake buddy instead
they both do exactly the same thing
Press your cars brake pedal,:thumb: Neither of them intergrate with the servo because the toads engine is not running, the Brake buddy does not apply any more (less in fact) pressure that you could with your foot
So can you now see why some Aframes apper to be un braked,when in fact there is a device inside the car dong exactly the same as a cable would,
To confuse matters even futher my A frame is acually a braked cable type with overrun, but the cable is not used or even fitted I choose to use the brake buddy instead.
Why?
Because its easily transferable from vehicle to vehicle, negates the need to drill the bulkhead for cable entry,and is far more in my opinion reliable
I will repeat it has no extra braking powers than a cable system
I hope that clears things up:thumb:
Geo
Ps A Recovey type strap on A Frame has No braking systemm at all,
An unbraked A frame has no braking system at all (no overrun system either)
I will concede the very latest recovery Strap on systems can and do have an add on cable system available as now used by:ROFLMAO: the AA etc but these are twice/three times the price of a motor home system, so I have discounted those from the argument

Clear as mud:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we did this to death last week

can anyone advise me we are looking at towing our car behind the motorhome there is a firm in chorley lancs selling strap on fittings to underside of car would need a light board but there are no brakes fitted to it any comments welcomed

I thought we did this to death last week?:Angry:

I have the Wilkinson Road Traffic Acts books now loaded on to the RV for Bath & West.. happy to show anyone the regulations or in fact discuss any legal issue (except matrimonial) ... small print follows: I am not creating any legal relationship by talking about legal matters with any funster... end of small print. But happy to discuss legal issues over a beer or a cup of tea or look up in the two big volumes the currant law on motoring for you at the show...same at Lincoln....

Bob:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I thought we did this to death last week?:Angry:

Bob:Blush:

Yes Bob, but that was LAST week, and has probably been done nearly ever week for the past three years.. and if no one posted repeat questions the forum would just become one big archive of Q&As

besides, we are all moving on in years , we occasionally need our memories refreshed :roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am not old

besides, we are all moving on in years , we occasionally need our memories refreshed :roflmto:

I am not old I keep telling myself. I am actually 61, but I was at a meeting this week (I for my sins, a board member of a large Housing Association in the South East (unpaid)) and I was at one of our sheltered home at a meeting when a lady was referring to the people that attened. She was pointing out that there were few of the residents that attended that were young... so I said thanks very much, first time I have been put in the OAP class.. but seriously in the USA we are seniors at 55, in the UK I got a bus pass at 60 (never been on a bus just wanted the bus pass) .. I got a B&Q over 60's card (never use it as I want the items on every day except Wed) .. so I must be getting older. Free prescriptions now as well.. oh boy

In my case I need my memories refreshed every day... what was this thread about? and now why was I going up stairs!:Blush:

Bob

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As there seems to be more posts about what I actually meant than what the OP was about I will attempt to clarify.

I use an overrun brake with a Smart car and following a much earlier thread in which the efficiency of same was debated, my mind was put to rest by Geo's post at the time.
Reading that he uses a brake buddy, I thought that this may mean that he did not have faith in the overrun brake and I had misunderstood/misread his earlier post.

Hope this clarifies matters. My question has been answered Thanks Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
but is an over run break enough?

As there seems to be more posts about what I actually meant than what the OP was about I will attempt to clarify.

I use an overrun brake with a Smart car and following a much earlier thread in which the efficiency of same was debated, my mind was put to rest by Geo's post at the time.
Reading that he uses a brake buddy, I thought that this may mean that he did not have faith in the overrun brake and I had misunderstood/misread his earlier post.

Hope this clarifies matters. My question has been answered Thanks Geo

The requirement is all wheels are braked and the question then is will an overun brake be enough as a smart is heavier than 750kgs and as a 'trailer' it becomes a 4 wheeled trailer and that has to have the brakes working on all wheels in fact on any vehicle that has road wheels in a car class... so the debate goes on and on! The construction regs are very clear on this.

Bob:Eeek:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007

I have a braked A frame "Brian Cox" i think . Has all fittings and cables and looking for £150. if any one interested let me know asp as i will be putting it on E Bay mid week.
Live lancs if any one wants to view,

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back