Which Club to join (1 Viewer)

mozwal

Free Member
Aug 27, 2010
Funster No
Any suggestions on whether to join the Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravan Club - totally new to this and have just bought an Elddis Autocirrus, would prefer wild camping and small well spaced sites, Northern England & Scotland

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I belong to both. They both have lots of good small exempted sites (CLs), the caravan club most, however the caravan clubs actual 'proper'sites are not much use as they are mainly booked up and are expensive.:Angry:

CLs are your best bet as tey are generally quite cheap, in nice places, and no worries about security or being moved on by the police. Wild camping is not legal, though some do it all the time and get away with it.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
between wild camping and "Fun" rallies why would you need any other sites, don't bother joining either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If you are of family age then the C & CC

If you are of senior years the CC.

That's my simplistic way of explaining them.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i was a member of both clubs for a number of years but gave up on the caravan club this year.

main sites are usually booked within hours of the new season booking start date and are run on a 'strict' rule book by stuffed shirts.
the hiarachy all appear to have letters after their names and the patron is HRH Price Philip.

the camping and caravanning club has a much more relaxed approach being run by a bloke in a flat cap with a whippet on a lead. the president is that old beardy geezer David Bellamy.

as already said both clubs have a good selection of '5 van' sites (CC= certified locations (CL's)....CC&C = certified sites (CS's)..max 5 vans at a time allegedy :winky:) but the CC&C also cater for tent campers and there doesnt appear to be a limit on these.

membership cost is around the same.

both have a club magazine aimed at all types of campers.

hope this explains a little

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mozwal

Free Member
Aug 27, 2010
Funster No
Many thanks, I was hoping for precisely this sort of advice! CC sounds very much out of my comfort zone.....

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont forget for general camping, MotorhomeFun is slowly building a certified location/site database of its own now Jim has applied for, and been granted, a government licence to do so.

all we need now are more independant campsites to get on the 'fun' bandwagon and become 'fun CLs' .

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
which club

We joined both, reasons being depending on where you are you will always find a campsite belonging to one of these clubs.
We just want to have the freedom of choice and for the cost it is well worth it. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Being the slightly odd one out, in not having full facilities in the van, I possibly had more reason for joining the C&CC or CC. Ended up at the former more by luck than anything (tried the CC first but the registration process was a problem so I gave up and went with the C&CC).

Pros: facilities have always been good, staff always friendly (so far...), pitches always good
Cons: can be quite expensive (particularly at peak times) and packed (ditto). I would also suggest that the busiest times, for various reasons, tend to attract the most miserable and awkward customers, as I found out last weekend :Smile:

The CLs/CSs are of variable quality but usually good value for money. The C&CC magazine is OK for a rainy day.

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
member of both clubs but dont use their main sites, use occasional cs/cl s though and some of their insurance services. For first timers abroad both clubs offer a good deal in using their system for taking the hassle out of booking sites etc and ferry booking giving the first time abroad campers the opportunity of having a good break with out the worry of booking sites where english might not be spoken. Also both clubs offer breakddown recovery both in europe and the uk.
I think a lot of people look at the big clubs more for the other services they offer rather than their main sites.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
member of both clubs but dont use their main sites, use occasional cs/cl s though and some of their insurance services. For first timers abroad both clubs offer a good deal in using their system for taking the hassle out of booking sites etc and ferry booking giving the first time abroad campers the opportunity of having a good break with out the worry of booking sites where english might not be spoken. Also both clubs offer breakddown recovery both in europe and the uk.
I think a lot of people look at the big clubs more for the other services they offer rather than their main sites.

Pre internet days I used them for that very reason: one phone call, ferry booked, insurance / breakdown cover and site(s) booked..

now you can do it all from your lappy and cut out the middle man .. they do provide a good service, but you can do it just as cheap if not cheaper by yourself .. and with the help from forums such as this they , for me anyway , have become obsolete as booking agents.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back