Managing with a single gas bottle (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I've only gone and bought myself a Motorhome with a single gas bottle mount! Cannot believe I did not check that out before. I don't think it would have affected my decision, but still annoyed with myself for not even looking!

That said, it will take a 13 kg bottle, and I know that will last me a long time. But how do I manage it without wasting gas? I am thinking a set of digital scales, set to kg. Weigh when I buy and check as I think it is getting low. Or one of those magnetic things that stick on the side and show the internal gas level due to temperature differential?

If only Calor did a gauge, I wouldn't have a problem. Aware of the Gaslow advantages, but expensive to get started.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Steve

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
You say youve a single mount, but is there nowhere you could strap a spare anywhere? Im surprised theres only provision for a single bottle on a van. Just carrying a 'big' one isnt the same as two separate smaller ones.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
stick on plastic temp guages are useless for get it. run until empty then refill with lpg using a propane refill adapter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
You say youve a single mount, but is there nowhere you could strap a spare anywhere? Im surprised theres only provision for a single bottle on a van. Just carrying a 'big' one isnt the same as two separate smaller ones.

Yes, there are places, but they wouldn't be ventilated. That was a line I was thinking of going down - and may still, but a little concerned about gas safety.

Steve

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
lateral thinking - if it willl take a 13kg calor does it have the height to take 2 x 5kg BP gaslite they stack one on top of the other

craiggs

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
Funster No
a 13 kg gas will last a long time does your heating run on 240 aswell so when pluged in you only cook on gas also if you only have one bot you will need to partx it for a new one you could make a small locker and vent with a small hose out the bottomonly one hole then but you can get gas from all over now so you can go over the top i have 2 x 13kg and are still on the first one and have youed it for 7 weeks but only to cook on as all the other runs from hookup

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
It has an Eberspacher (sp?) space heater which runs from the diesel tank, so the gas only heats the water, cooks and runs the fridge when no mains. I do expect it to last for a very long time. I already have two cylinders, only 6 kg. Interesting idea regarding the two 6kg BP Gas-lites but concerned about availability.

The reason I considered the weighing method was that I could have the one 13 kg bottle, and as it neared empty, then (and only then) take a 6kg bottle as well, only to use until I could replace the 13 kg one. Trouble with that is that eventually both would get close to empty and may end up with no gas at some stage.

Still, some interesting suggestions - thanks.

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The reason I considered the weighing method was that I could have the one 13 kg bottle, and as it neared empty, then (and only then) take a 6kg bottle as well, only to use until I could replace the 13 kg one. Trouble with that is that eventually both would get close to empty and may end up with no gas at some stage.

Still, some interesting suggestions - thanks.

Steve

Hi

I would keep the 13kg bottle and carry the smaller 3.9kg bottle .. as you suggested..

Run the 13kg until empty, change over to the small bottle, then replace the 13kg as soon as possible .. keeping the 3.9 as a back up

There is no reliable way of knowing how much gas is left except by weighing .. use bathroom scales or buy a spring balance, Salter do one for gas bottles.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Interesting idea regarding the two 6kg BP Gas-lites but concerned about availability.

Steve

BP Gaslite is available at all branches of Homebase nationwide and also at some garages and garden centres - I also understand they are getting a range of stockists sorted in Europe and Ireland - use the link below for more info - I know some people refill these in Spain as the fitting is exactly the same as the Spanish bottles and as you can see the gas level and mark it when it is full it can be filled to the correct level. In the UK we have never had a problem getting a refill

Link Removed

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
bite the bullet and get gaslow fitted easier than all the other suggestions and no worries about running out of gas here or abroad dont think about cost but convenience and piece of mind you've just spent out probably thousands on a new van whats a few hundred more to not have to worry about how much gas your carrying etc I changed over this year only have 1 bottle and can recommend it

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We got Gaslow, bought it all online and fitted ourselves, mind you he is an engineer!
Best thing to do no worries about the gas now, yes a big layout initially but a big saving everytime you refill. Beats fannying about with different cylinders-do I have enough gas-specially in foul weather!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
We got Gaslow, bought it all online and fitted ourselves, mind you he is an engineer!
Best thing to do no worries about the gas now, yes a big layout initially but a big saving everytime you refill. Beats fannying about with different cylinders-do I have enough gas-specially in foul weather!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
But, if everyones saying the regular cylinders last ages - and they do, how long is it before you see a return on the gaslow?
Id conceed the 'peace of mind' thing may come into play if you spent half your time abroad, but youd have to be a bit slack set up to be caught running out in the UK, with or without gaslow.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But, if everyones saying the regular cylinders last ages - and they do, how long is it before you see a return on the gaslow?

Good point also LPG isn't universally obtainable .. Spain for example only has a couple of dozen outlets ..

Spain LPG Map

Full timers will see a reasonably quick return, recreational uses will take many years ..

I've also read reports of Gaslow users being refused at LPG filling stations.

For little more you could install a fixed LPG tank with the added bonus of freeing up the gas locker..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The Gaslow advantage is not really about saving money when all costs are taken into account. It will take a long time to cover the installation cost with savings made in LPG price. We had a twin system fitted when we bought the van and would definitely do it again (or choose AluGas for a lighter solution - or a fixed tank).
Apart from the simplicity of filling up whenever you like, I cannot get enthusiastic about the prospect of lugging a 13kg cylinder in and out of the locker. They're bloody heavy and I have to accept, that as time progresses, this is something I would want to do less and less.

Philip

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Surely you've got the message by now Gaslow or the aluminium equivalent.

No waste because you top up.

Gaslow has indicator.

Proper job and in the context of MH costs it's really nothing.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
internal gas tank

We bought our motor home which had an internal tank fitted have to say it`s brilliant, easy to fill up no going out in the rain to swap bottles etc.
Ok so you loose part of an underseat locker but as mentioned you gain an outside wet locker.
After 11 weeks use we filled it up with 21 litres. 3 of those weeks use was without EHU.
Not certain how much such a system would cost to fit but for the convenience it`s well worth it. :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I've also read reports of Gaslow users being refused at LPG filling stations.
For little more you could install a fixed LPG tank with the added bonus of freeing up the gas locker..

:thumb:That's the way to do it :Smile: I have a 40lt tank underneath and my ex-gas locker now holds The Cadac,3 different sized hook-up cables,1x 25mtr hose reel,6 assorted containers of liquids ie.Toilet Blue/windscreen wash etc a fold-up sack trolley and a partridge in a pear tree !!
We filled to 65% (1st fill is often less than 80%) did Carmarthen Show,5 weeks in France,the Bring and Buy and 3 weeks in scotland-I've only put in 20ltrs (just before leaving France) and we are on 60% now. I'll top up when we land at Calais next Tues and then every 4 weeks until we come back Mid Nov-It's just so easy to do diesel and lpg at same time ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back