Italy first time! (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi all,we are going to Europe for the first time next April and May and after reading up I have a few questions.First one is, is it really necessary to book sites in advance at that time of year as we dont know our daily schedule and dont want to become slaves to a timetable? Secondly , we are in the process of getting our dogs passports and have noticed a few restrictions in Italy,firstly, surely muzzles arnt required in public? Next is there a limit of one dog per vehicle? And is a barrier required behind the seats? All seems a bit OTT to me,and is it like a lot of things Italian namely nobody takes any notice!Finally can anybody recommend some good sites in Sicily and was there any problems with the Messina ferry from Villa San Giovanni?
Cheers Paul.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all,we are going to Europe for the first time next April and May and after reading up I have a few questions.First one is, is it really necessary to book sites in advance at that time of year as we dont know our daily schedule and dont want to become slaves to a timetable? Secondly , we are in the process of getting our dogs passports and have noticed a few restrictions in Italy,firstly, surely muzzles arnt required in public? Next is there a limit of one dog per vehicle? And is a barrier required behind the seats? All seems a bit OTT to me,and is it like a lot of things Italian namely nobody takes any notice!Finally can anybody recommend some good sites in Sicily and was there any problems with the Messina ferry from Villa San Giovanni?
Cheers Paul.

Do a site search for posts by:
Link Removed

They did Italy with a vengeance this year.

Some data in this thread:
Link Removed

People were being turned away from Butterfly in May, but there were plenty of other places.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Don't know about dogs so can't help there.
regards to campsites - would not book until you are there to keep your options open. We traveled France/Belgium this August & last year for a month and never had any troublke getting into campsites and usually stayed on ones that we would not have pre-booked anyway. It's good to be able to go where you like and stop at any place that takes your fancy. We stayed on numerous Aires having never used them before and were amazed at how good they were.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Paul,
Taking dogs to Italy can be a problem. You are right about the law that they must wear a muzzle in public, but did you know that dogs are forbidden on all forms of public transport? This law is sometimes overlooked, but you can be sure it won't be when you are involved! Also many campsites do not accept dogs and those that do sometimes have a separate "kennels" area where your dog will be installed - you will be allowed to visit him/her.
Whenever we take groups to Italy we suggest that our customers do not take dogs.

Good luck,

Bob

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we have just been to italy for the 1st time, we had no problems with the dog and the only place we were advised to use a muzzle was on the water boat to venice,our dog is a small bichon frise so this could be the reason we were not bothered

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there,

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Northern Italy which we did with no forward booking as, like you, we didn't want to be timetable slaves.

We firstly went to Camping Butterfly on Lake Garda but discovered they had no vacancies so carried on to Lido de Jessilo which is just East of Venice, turned up at a campsite (Union Lido) and got in with No trouble at all, selected our pitch and stayed there for 8 days. Then went back to Lake Garda and tried Camping Butterfly again, again without success so travelled up the East side about 10k and picked Camping Piano de Claudia, selected our pitch next to the lake and spent 5 days there.

Can't speak about pets as we don't have one.

Hope this helps you.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I have gone through Italy to Sicily the last two Septembers and have not had any problems getting on sites. I have not tried early season but would not have thought it a problem.

The twice I have driven down I have used the ferry from Villa San Giovanni to Messina. It is a shuttle service with no need to book. Each time there has been plenty of room & the ferries will take large vehicles. For my small MH the cost was €32 one way.

On Sicily I have used two sites from the ACSI guides one at Marinello which was fine, the other was Camp la Timpa in Acireale the site is OK but it is terraced and would not be so good for a large MH.

It's best to avoid Catania when driving - It's mad!!!!!!!

Doing the trip again starting 8th September. :Smile:

Mike

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Paul

Firstly we have just returned from italy and loved it we arrived 2 days earlier than planned and tried think it was 22 campsites down the shore of lake garda and all full it was a saturday, eventually phoned the site we where booked in for the week and got in no problem but after doing this we passed to mh stopover places and they had loads of room so could have used them.

We didnt take our dog but loads of dogs on site and none with muzzels but did notice some wearing them in towns.

Gerry

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi Paul

Just spent 3 months in Italy & didn't see a dog with a muzzle. Saw dogs on buses as well. There are so many 'vans in Italy that the police just dont have time to bother with them. There is a lot of scaremongering going on.

As for sites, you would be really unlucky not to get into a site outside July & August. Yes, Garda is busy from May but everywhere else we have been has had plenty of space - right across the N of Italy & the Riviera.

Dogs aren't allowed on beaches.

Enjoy yourself, but dont expect any of the campsites to be peaceful. Italian sites are very noisy, specially if children are on holiday.

Good luck

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back