Free Member
May 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16 Years
Just wondered if anybody has upgraded to the truck version of Tom Tom.
(For anybody who hasn't heard of it, you can put all the dimensions of your own vehicle in and supposedly it warns of any obstacles on route that may be a problem for your size of your vehicle).
I have been testing the software this week on my Tom Tom 730 and noticed that the postcode search is down to 2 figures compared with full (7) on the normal software.
Also noticed that the remote control for the 730 doesn't work with truck either.
Which model Tom Tom do you run it on?

Soundman

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just wondered if anybody has upgraded to the truck version of Tom Tom.
(For anybody who hasn't heard of it, you can put all the dimensions of your own vehicle in and supposedly it warns of any obstacles on route that may be a problem for your size of your vehicle).
I have been testing the software this week on my Tom Tom 730 and noticed that the postcode search is down to 2 figures compared with full (7) on the normal software.
Also noticed that the remote control for the 730 doesn't work with truck either.

Soundman
Hi there Soundman, our immediate neighbours twice now at the Newark Spring Fair. (Sorry, not too good at remembering folks names).

I use TT Truck Europe, but am not convinced that it is up to the job. I was heading A1 North, and due to a traffic hold up, I took the first turn off for Pontefract, knowing my way through the town, and back onto the A1 North. Shortly after leaving the A1, the TT Truck tried to get me to turn right up a farmer's track to get back onto the A1. This was while it was programmed for a 44 Tonne truck. :whatthe:
On another occasion, I programmed it for a 12 metre coach, and it advised me to go 12Kms out of my way, to get to a filling station that was only 1.5Kms away.
Now, I tend to use the van option, as that will take me down some fairly decent routes.

I tend to pre plan using Autoroute 2010, before programming the TT, especially if abroad. Here in the UK, I have a good knowledge of the major routes, so not too reliant on TT.

HTH.

All the best,

Jock.

OP
OP
Soundman

Soundman

Free Member
May 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16 Years
Hi Jock
I'm going to try it again tommorow around East Yorkshire programmed for a 6 ton van and see how I go. (I will actually be in my Smart Car)
Then I will decide which to use on the Dusseldorf trip this weekend.
I've tried it for a local village 3 miles away with a low bridge on route, it routed me correctly to avoid the bridge and the route was nearer 10 miles.

Soundman (Paul)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock
I'm going to try it again tommorow around East Yorkshire programmed for a 6 ton van and see how I go. (I will actually be in my Smart Car)
Then I will decide which to use on the Dusseldorf trip this weekend.
I've tried it for a local village 3 miles away with a low bridge on route, it routed me correctly to avoid the bridge and the route was nearer 10 miles.

Soundman (Paul)
Hi Paul,

I use the Truck maps on a 4Gb SD (HC) card, slotted into the base of a TT 720.
It did correctly route me to avoid a weight restriction in our local area, but it avoids routes that are used by buses, coaches and dustbin lorries. :RollEyes:
On the other hand, (again as a 44 tonne truck), in Norfolk, I let it take me along a route which I knew had a width restriction, and was unsuitable for HGVs, just to prove further that it cannot be relied upon totally.
As said before, I find the van option to be suitable. The only problem might be if there was a 3.5 tonne weight limit en route.
For the most, it really came into it's own when touring Germany.

Have a great time at the show, but go with an empty wallet, as it can be very tempting. Have a glass of "Alt" for me please, in Old Dusseldorf.

Cheers for now, :drink:

Jock.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock,
Are you saying stick with the Truck version when in Germany?

Soundman
Not quite Paul.

What I am saying is that apart from it trying to take me on a 12Km detour away from the nearby filling station, it served me well whilst there, but it was programmed as an 8mtr coach, with 3mtr height.

If in doubt, try the van setting, and work up from there if it isn't suitable.

Safe travels,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back