pet on ferry (1 Viewer)

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
just wondering if your van broke down. and you had to go on ferry as foot pasenger with your dog. does anyone know the procedure or has it happend to anyone. just thinking of things that might go wrong. before i go.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You will give youself a head ache thinking like that. Good question though. As I'm aware dogs arent allowed to travel on the ferry loose, so to speak and so you would likely have to wait until the van was fixed or hire a car and exchange your ticket or ?????

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
breeks
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
know what you mean i just had a vision of me trying to walk on with my rottie. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I dont know about abroad , as grandma comes to stay at our house , to look after our 2 Borders when we go.
But , when we went to the I.O.W in may , we took both dogs out of the MH as there was a dog area :thumb:
It was like a conservatory , airconditioned , on the top deck.
Just for dogs and there owners. Complete with bowls of water , which i thought was nice.
Bev

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just wondering if your van broke down. and you had to go on ferry as foot pasenger with your dog. does anyone know the procedure or has it happend to anyone. just thinking of things that might go wrong. before i go.

OK - so they put dog in a cage below decks and the then ferry hits an iceberg. What is your contingency plan for this ?

I guess you use your James Bond portable plasma cutter to cut down through the decks to your dog and free it. Leg it up top and they refuse to let a dog on the life boat as it is unhygienic and a risk if the dog gets excited and bites a passenger.

"*&*^%" you say, "I wish I'd stayed at home".

But not to fail at this stage, you get out your James Bond self inflating boat and jump aboard.

"At last" you say, "I have won" when an olde farte trying to row away from the sinking ferry slices through your inflatable with his out of control oars.

"Now where is my James Bond puncture repair kit ?" you ask yourself. "I'm sure I packed it". "Of course, it's in the pocket on the side". "Oh %^^%$£ the side the olde farte just cut off". "Will I get a refund ?" you ask yourself as you sink slowly into the freezing cold water.

Watch this channel this time next week for episode 2 of "Me and my mutt".

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I'm sure its happened before and I have seen kennels on ferries but it was a long time ago. I imagine a lot would depend on which ferry company who probably have different policys, as well as the attitude of the staff. If you are worried about it, fire off an email to the ferry company, I'm sure you will get an answer:thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
If you're really worried about this possibility you can take out caravan club red pennant insurance and they do cover this, expensive if you are over 65 and going long stay, they quoted us over £700 for 6 months .
Alan

OP
OP
breeks
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
i am not realy worried i was just having a talk with the miises and she recond they would let you walk on with dog. why should i be worried about a fiat ducato breaking down.:roflmto:

OP
OP
breeks
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
:Smile:
OK - so they put dog in a cage below decks and the then ferry hits an iceberg. What is your contingency plan for this ?

I guess you use your James Bond portable plasma cutter to cut down through the decks to your dog and free it. Leg it up top and they refuse to let a dog on the life boat as it is unhygienic and a risk if the dog gets excited and bites a passenger.

But not to fail at this stage, you get out your James Bond self inflating boat and jump aboard.some imagination brian

"At last" you say, "I have won" when an olde farte trying to row away from the sinking ferry slices through your inflatable with his out of control oars.

"Now where is my James Bond puncture repair kit ?" you ask yourself. "I'm sure I packed it". "Of course, it's in the pocket on the side". "Oh %^^%$£ the side the olde farte just cut off". "Will I get a refund ?" you ask yourself as you sink slowly into the freezing cold water.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
. why should i be worried about a fiat ducato breaking down.:roflmto:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

no problem on Cal Mac ferries .. dogs go with owners except in the Bar :thumb:

then again.. Cal Mac aint fussy who goes on board ..

you see some right sights .. drunks rolling around in the toilets .. and this in the ladies on AM ferry to Brodick :roflmto:

Deleted User

Hi Breeks
Are you going to France?, if you have a Rottie I'm sure you are aware there are restrictions in France. Rotties are class 2 dogs and must be muzzled, insured and may need to be registered with The Marie

spongy

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
then again.. Cal Mac aint fussy who goes on board ..

you see some right sights .. drunks rolling around in the toilets .. and this in the ladies on AM ferry to Brodick :roflmto:

One does wonder why you were on the ship and in the ladies Jim?:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you made me smile

But not to fail at this stage, you get out your James Bond self inflating boat and jump aboard.

Just could imagine it Brian... Boy if I had to think about that as well as all the other issues when I take Ezzie the Saint Bernard across via the tunnel I think I would give up before I started.

Life is to short.

Bob

OP
OP
breeks
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
:whatthe::whatthe:
Hi Breeks
Are you going to France?, if you have a Rottie I'm sure you are aware there are restrictions in France. Rotties are class 2 dogs and must be muzzled, insured and may need to be registered with The Marie

spongy
hi i did not know that i went to france about 5 year ago with my first rottie and was wandering about with her sat in cafes pubs ect. and did not have a muzzle. on her. didn't seem to be a prob.maybe laws have changed since then .i am planing on going to germany and maybe stop in France for a couple of nights.think i will give it a miss if this is right.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have NEVER seen an animal of any sort outside a vehicle on a cross channel ferry yet,and must have traveled 1000s of times whilst working and since retiring.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
:whatthe::whatthe:
hi i did not know that i went to france about 5 year ago with my first rottie and was wandering about with her sat in cafes pubs ect. and did not have a muzzle. on her. didn't seem to be a prob.maybe laws have changed since then .i am planing on going to germany and maybe stop in France for a couple of nights.think i will give it a miss if this is right.

The following web page may be useful also got a list of vets in France

http://www.day-tripper.net/info-pets-abroad.html

"Quote"

Banned Breeds
Several breeds are now banned from importation. This includes the Pitbull terrier but more notably for most travellers, all Staffordshire Bull terrier crosses or purebred dogs without papers. It does not apply to pedigree dogs i.e. dogs with Kennel club registration and documentation. This same ruling also applies to English mastiffs.
All these breeds as well as Rottweilers and any Rottweiler crosses must be muzzled and on a lead in all public places.

OP
OP
breeks
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
The following web page may be useful also got a list of vets in France

http://www.day-tripper.net/info-pets-abroad.html

"Quote"

Banned Breeds
Several breeds are now banned from importation. This includes the Pitbull terrier but more notably for most travellers, all Staffordshire Bull terrier crosses or purebred dogs without papers. It does not apply to pedigree dogs i.e. dogs with Kennel club registration and documentation. This same ruling also applies to English mastiffs.
All these breeds as well as Rottweilers and any Rottweiler crosses must be muzzled and on a lead in all public places.
well i suppose i better get a muzzle this is going to be great fun trying to get her to keep it on.:Doh:

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Most decent ferry companies carry dog kennels on the car decks ... if your lucky they might be available

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Most decent ferry companies carry dog kennels on the car decks ... if your lucky they might be available

I think you will find its first come first served, and pretty sure you cant book kennel, also not many kennels per ship. We always go on Eurotunnel dogs stay with you then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back