advice on living cheaply (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Right, now don't know if this is the right place to put this but here goes anyway.

I live in Wales and love it here but I have been working four days a week down on the south coast, Worthing, Brighton area, been working on the books for a nice guy who let me stay in his works yard in an old caravan for the four nights I'm down there and its been a nice cheap way of doing it, but Ive now gone self employed and need to move out of his yard.

Now I already have my house in wales to run so can't afford to rent down south.

Soooo I'm looking for somewhere to park my old caravan as cheap as possible..

So my question is this, is it possible to stay long term on a camp site and how much is it likly to cost per week

Or has any of you guys got a better idea:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
There are caravan club CL's who overlook the 28 day rules and generally seem to charge around a tenner a night including electric.

It's wrong but its done:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi wildman
I know I know but its only for cheap living and we are working towards a motorhome and can't wait but will get there one day.

Anyway thanks for answering what are cls likly to cost and do you think they would do a deal?

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
There are caravan club CL's who overlook the 28 day rules and generally seem to charge around a tenner a night including electric.

It's wrong but its done:winky:

Mmmm I notice there have been a couple of RVs been parked at Charmill cottage in Findon for the last couple of months so that one must be cheap.

I wonder if they are members on here?:Smile:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
We used a CL this year, that had another field adjacent where a caravan had taken up permanent residence. The CL was a tenner a night for squalid facilities - tho we learned after the stay that it had recently been kicked out of the CC for 'rules breaches'.:roflmto: The buggers didnt let on theyd been back-heeled when i booked though! :Angry:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can buy seasonal pitches on most sites, some will have a maximum stay period. An all yewar site, may accept residential on a 8 month maximum - therefore you will need to switch between two sites over the year.

Expect to pay somewhere in the region of £200/£300 per month site fees. If you look for the little rustic sites, with basic amenities - then these will be cheaper.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Right, now don't know if this is the right place to put this but here goes anyway.

I live in Wales and love it here but I have been working four days a week down on the south coast, Worthing, Brighton area, been working on the books for a nice guy who let me stay in his works yard in an old caravan for the four nights I'm down there and its been a nice cheap way of doing it, but Ive now gone self employed and need to move out of his yard.

Crazy Lanes camp site might do a deal, http://www.crazylane.co.uk/ tell Paul I sent you

Seasonal pitches from £1100

Peter

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for all the replies guys, some useful info that I didn't know about.
Just one daft question, how long is a season?:Blush:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks for all the replies guys, some useful info that I didn't know about.
Just one daft question, how long is a season?:Blush:

Generally, this is between 1 april - 31 October. Different areas/campsites have different licences. Not many all year sites will turn away a long term during winter!

Some seasonal pitches are just a normal pitch, others are seperate from touring pitches, in quieter areas, others, like some down here, you have your own toilet/shower block behind each pitch.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Generally, this is between 1 april - 31 October. Different areas/campsites have different licences. Not many all year sites will turn away a long term during winter!

Some seasonal pitches are just a normal pitch, others are seperate from touring pitches, in quieter areas, others, like some down here, you have your own toilet/shower block behind each pitch.

Thanks for that, looks like Ive got some ringing around to do:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Gives you and example of the areas prices where you are looking. These will be for full season - you would pay less if part way through. That would work out £267/month based on a 7 month period.

Link Removed

Just noticed a place called greenways touring park do seasonal for £1400.

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
camp

you can get a lovely flat in the gorbals Glasgow 200 a month free electric. neighbours will show you how to fiddle it.better than a camp site.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Gives you and example of the areas prices where you are looking. These will be for full season - you would pay less if part way through. That would work out £267/month based on a 7 month period.

Link Removed

Just noticed a place called greenways touring park do seasonal for £1400.

Cheers guys thats good stuff:thumb:, is there a website that lists all campsites? oh don't worry Ill google it.:Doh:

Tim

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Now I already have my house in wales to run so can't afford to rent down south.

So my question is this, is it possible to stay long term on a camp site and how much is it likly to cost per week.

Or has any of you guys got a better idea:thumb:

Ralphs a builder. When hes been building substations up in Northumberland he just phones round a couple of sites in the local area and asks. The substations are normaly on opencast mines , and theres usually something nearby. Morpeth , Alnwick , Widdrington.
He usually only pays about £40 a week. That includes hook up , and use of the shower blocks.:winky:
Its realy good when he gets them in the summer as I drive up on a weekend to join him with the kids too:Smile:
If you say your working in the area for a month or so , he says the price drops considerably . It may be different down South though.
Bev

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Presume you have to be in the worthing, Brighton area still? There are 3 CL's bang between the two towns, one of which is £7 including hookup. Just log on to the CC site and go to the CL search, search by map and type in Brighton or Worthing. (I havent checked the C&CC site). The cheapest I have had with hookup recently is £6 per night so £40 a week would be achievable. Some may ignore the 28 day rule but if they dont you could always go somewhere else for a night or two and come back.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi barryd & Ralph-n-Bev

Thanks for the replies guys thats realy useful information:thumb:, Ive now got quite a few numbers to call so Ill let you know how it goes next week when I'm back home. cheers.

Tim

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi guys just a little update, the cheapest Ive got so far is £8 a night with leccy and basic facilitys 28 days on and then id have to get off for a week.

Still looking:thumb:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Jim Thanks for that, don't forget I'll be at work till quite late in the day but yes I get your drift, I suppose I could get it lower by having a motorhome and moving it off during the days I'm in wales, but then a motorhome is much more expensive than a caravan and at the moment thats what we are saving for:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back