Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
:whatthe:

The water tank on my 3 year old Rapido 999M has developed a split. This was caused by one of the 'feet' of the tank being missing, probably from new, which caused it to bear on a bolt head anchoring the seat belt post.

I have tried repairing it without success, and Johns Cross parts department tell me they cannot order this part (for reasons not entirely clear to me - Peter do you know?).

So far this has cost me £45 for a local caravan repairer to come out and attempt to repair it, another £40 for a roll of Endurobond tape to attempt repair and another £100 for a tank from C.A.K. which doesn't fit.

The manufacturers in France appear to be shy about their contact details.

Help needed as I now have a £60k motorhome which I can't use :help::help:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have done a successful repair using pipe - solvent weld ( plumbers use it on soil pipes - from screwfix or plumbing merchants )then covered it all with a 2 ins bigger flat plastic patch :thumb: belt and braces type thing
terry

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks for this. I will have to try it as tank is polyethylene rather than the ABS the soil pipes are made from. Also unfortunately the spilt is not flat, goes round an angle.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
there is a way of gluing/repairing polythene as well....let me know if you need to discuss it....again it comes from my modellling...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
While im sure these tanks can be repaired - and im all for not shelling out if i can possibly help it, im not sure about 'bodging' a mobile tank in a MH. If it was static somewhere, maybe? But, with the water sloshing around, and the bumps and vibrations going on, i dont know if id be totaly confident the repair was going to hold, as the consequences of 10 or 20 gallons of water spilling out all over the van dont bear thinking about.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Have a look in yellow pages for a firm that does plastic welding, radiator repairers are a point of call.

Then you have a perminant repair.

Nick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
While im sure these tanks can be repaired - and im all for not shelling out if i can possibly help it, im not sure about 'bodging' a mobile tank in a MH. If it was static somewhere, maybe? But, with the water sloshing around, and the bumps and vibrations going on, i dont know if id be totaly confident the repair was going to hold, as the consequences of 10 or 20 gallons of water spilling out all over the van dont bear thinking about.

You have to make sure the glue will stick to both tank and patch :thumb:I have also used Ecoseal 502 - like Sikaflex- to seal a hole in a 5 gallon tank in which to pour diesel in with a ali patch screwed to it :ROFLMAO: No idea how long that lasted as it was only used 2 days until a new 5 gallon container was acquired but it got us out of a fix at work :thumb:
terry

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use tanks in our industry and see here

Link Removed

There may be just what your looking for.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks for your help.

The Rapido tank is a very strange shape as it fits around the metalwork of the seat belt anchorage. As a result a standard tank will not fit in the space unless it is very small.

Attachments

• IMG_0206small.JPG
    IMG_0206small.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 45

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:whatthe:

I have tried repairing it without success, and Johns Cross parts department tell me they cannot order this part (for reasons not entirely clear to me - Peter do you know?).

Hi,

We do not have any facilities to order Rapido parts direct from Rapido as we are not appointed agents for them, if we need Rapido parts we would order them from Caravannes Rapido, Wokingham 01189-9791023, suggest you give them a ring.

Peter

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi,

We do not have any facilities to order Rapido parts direct from Rapido as we are not appointed agents for them, if we need Rapido parts we would order them from Caravannes Rapido, Wokingham 01189-9791023, suggest you give them a ring.

Peter

Thanks Peter, the reason was not explained to me. I have emailed Wokingham and also Rapido in france, hopefully with results after the weekend.:thumb:

xplor

Free Member
Feb 18, 2009
Funster No
Rapido 999M Water Tank Split

Hi,
We have just encountered the same problem with our 4 yr old Rapido 999M. Can you tell me what the outcome was with yours? Is there anyone that knows a mobile plastic welder repairer in Reading/Wokingham area? We were just setting off on a weekend break when the water started leaking everywhere. have taken it ti Caravannes Rapido in Wokingham and they are going to try a resin repair but are not sure that this will work. They are going to try this out in the hope that it will work so that we can go on a 3 week holiday next week. They have rung Rapido in France who cannot provide a replacement for 9 weeks!

Does anyone else have any ideas should this resin not work?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the one thing i have found that seems to work in most things is the fiberglass body filler the stuff with strands in.
you can get from most car accessory shops.
don't know if i would like to drink from it though but it should hold water to get you out of the poo short term.

alternatively silicone sealant and cling film just make sure its set before putting any water in it.

maybe petro patch may work also as petrol is thinner than water and it works on fuel tanks.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Try THIS Sticks like S**T to a blanket and can be applied under water co if you can get to the crack from the inside, you can apply this there and on the other side of the crack. At just under £7 worth a punt. Available from ASDA and other JML outlets. B&Q do a similar product.

HTH

Dave

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We tried all sorts of things, none worked. Tank was eventually replaced and Rapido contributed to the cost as it may have not been properly installed.

For a while I used an aquaroll externally like a tugger. The pump has enough suction to pull water up from the aquaroll.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why not simply weld it back up ??
Simple as anything, free ( well the pedant would say maybe 1 p or so ) and can be done by anyone with some basic simple instruction

Can you solder ? If you can solder you can plastic weld

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
See how you get on wit rapido with the number peter gave you. As a temp fix, there is an all purpose leak fix that can be bought at DIY stores - if you want I will get you the name (in the shed!)

If you want confidence on it working - I used some to repair 4 cracks on the top of my 1960 Land Rover's radiator which developed a leak whilst at a show as a 'get me home' bodge.

That was over a year ago - and the truck is used daily - no leaks since! The pressure and heat that a radiator goes through certainly gives this stuff the thumbs up:thumb: Tried and tested.

ABA - Fibreglass (along with other automotive plastic fillers) is porous, so would seep. All these fillers are the same - and the reason why Gelcoats are added to your motorhome as well as boats!:winky:

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Depends where the leak is top middle or bottom. Geocel The Works could be a solution for the top. It will weld but you will need a filler rod and a Leister type heat gun.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depends where the leak is top middle or bottom. Geocel The Works could be a solution for the top. It will weld but you will need a filler rod and a Leister type heat gun.

Or simply use a pair of tin snips, cut a sliver off the neck or similar place, and use a weller 120w soldering iron
If you wanna neat finish use a Black and decker paint removing heat gun to smooth it all out ( as you may have guessed I do a LOT of plastic welding !! )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Or simply use a pair of tin snips, cut a sliver off the neck or similar place, and use a weller 120w soldering iron
If you wanna neat finish use a Black and decker paint removing heat gun to smooth it all out ( as you may have guessed I do a LOT of plastic welding !! )
depending on the type of plastic to be welded, electrical tie-wraps make good filler rods.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good point P J :thumb:
They are usually PMD though.. I suspect most water tanks will be nylon based though have seen a variety to be truthful
Hence my suggestion of snipping a bit off.. that way you know for sure you have got the right material :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back