Need some alarm/immobiliser advice... (1 Viewer)

Kaz212

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
South East London
Funster No
MH
VW Westfalia
Exp
Zero - but here's where it begins! ;o)
Hello Funsters!
Can anyone recommend any good alarms/immobilisers for my vw westfalia please?
Need something as economical as possible but effective enough!
Thank you!

OP
OP
K

Kaz212

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
South East London
Funster No
MH
VW Westfalia
Exp
I think I must be doing something wrong? :Doh:

Also can't understand why my thread title isn't in bold like everyone else's?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I must be doing something wrong? :Doh:

Also can't understand why my thread title isn't in bold like everyone else's?

The title is bold here.

The BIG question is do you want an alarm for your own piece of mind or a more expensive one installed to qualify for an insurance discount ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kaz212 & welcome :thumb: Best to buy any cat 1 alarm / immobiliser for around £150 /200 :thumb: Some will recommend buying all sorts at around £500 :Doh:
terry

OP
OP
K

Kaz212

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
South East London
Funster No
MH
VW Westfalia
Exp
Thanks Brian :Smile: and Terry :Smile:

Will definitely look into cat 1. Not necessarily to reduce our insurance - just terrified our camper will be nicked and want to do whatever we can to prevent that happening!:Eeek:

Still trying to get used to this site - I think I need to spend a few hours just looking around it! :winky:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
As someone who had a VW T25 camper STOLEN :cry::cry::cry:in Rome, the best thing I can recommend (apart from a ****ing BIG dog chained up inside) would be a wheel clamp, the best one you can afford. We saw quite a few non-Italian registered cars in Rome with wheel clamps fitted.......and no, the Rome police do not (AFAIK) utilise wheel clamps.

Put simply, any alarm can and will be bypassed, although an immobiliser may, just may, be useful.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no one would want to kick ours

As someone who had a VW T25 camper STOLEN :cry::cry::cry:in Rome, the best thing I can recommend (apart from a ****ing BIG dog chained up inside) would be a wheel clamp, the best one you can afford. We saw quite a few non-Italian registered cars in Rome with wheel clamps fitted.......and no, the Rome police do not (AFAIK) utilise wheel clamps.

Put simply, any alarm can and will be bypassed, although an immobiliser may, just may, be useful.

It would take to long to nick ours... car parked behind it on the drive, a Vanbitz strikeback alarm and thatcham cat 1 immobilizer .. factory alarm and immobilzer, sun blockers on all wheels and a Taylor screen on all the time. Takes me for ever to get in it and do anything. But then who steals a yank. Seriously you do need to put an immobilizer on it. You can buy el cheapo at Maplin. But a wheel clamp would help.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again if you want to prevent theft then fit a disc lock to the steering wheel like the land-rover boys do :Eeek:Most look at them and decide to nick else where
terry

OP
OP
K

Kaz212

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
South East London
Funster No
MH
VW Westfalia
Exp
Thanks very much guys! :thumb:

Love the idea of the big dog, wivvy's dad :ROFLMAO: although not sure our Cocker Spaniel is quite up to the job!!! :winky:

I'm very busy looking into all your suggestions. Had one quote to fit alarm & immobilizer for £300 :Eeek:... looking around and will try Maplin methinks.
Much appreciated!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Kaz, before you buy, have a read of The Motorhome Security Handbook, It normally costs £6.75 but as you are a subscriber it is free.:thumb:

Download it here Link Removed

Oh, the reason your thread was not bold, was because you had read it:Smile: The bold ones you had not read (Why Not?):ROFLMAO:

Thanks very much guys! :thumb:

Love the idea of the big dog, wivvy's dad :ROFLMAO: although not sure our Cocker Spaniel is quite up to the job!!! :winky:

I'm very busy looking into all your suggestions. Had one quote to fit alarm & immobilizer for £300 :Eeek:... looking around and will try Maplin methinks.
Much appreciated!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back