Newbe looking for some help (1 Viewer)

Hairy

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
Reigate on Sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi, name's Paul and I am moving into Motorhome ownership as soon as we can sell the house and move West.

I have 2 young daughters, aged 3, nearly 4 and 7. I am 46, wife 36, we like motorhomes, and have been hiring them for years. We currently live in the South East, but are selling up our business and homes and moving to the West Country as soon as we can. Not too sure what else to say about myself, other than I am a petrolhead, love cricket and travelling and my family. I am really looking forward to getting into Motorhome ownership. And on that note...

I have been looking at all of the magazines, and articles, but still cannot draw myself to one type of van or another. To be honest, I am a little confused as to what I should be looking for. I fancy an A Class, but want new and only have a budget of around 45, maybe 50 if I beg borrow and steal. We want 5+ berths so that we can take the kids friends away if needed and, to be honest, we like the space of the 5+ berths we hire. I'd like a fixed rear bed, with over cab or drop down for the kids. I guess it's possibly better to get bunks somewhere as soon they will not like sleeping in the same double, but for now it's fine.

But now it's coming down to buying one, I am stuck.

So, the questions I am asking, are:

Am I being realistic about getting a new motorhome for 45/50k.
What sort can I expect
What do you think would suit us
What is the difference in quality of low to mid market

I am geuinely sorry to ask these questions as I am sure you get them fairly often, so I apologise but offer up the flag of naiveity in defence.

Thanks in advance for any help. Once I buy, there will be more, but I guess the more experience I get, the more I can contribute rather than take.

Cheers

Paul

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Welcome to MHF
Link Removed

Someone asked a similar question the other day. Johns cross has the New Hobby. Thats if you want new.
I would go for a 2nd hand one with a few miles on the clock , and i guess most of the other members would too. Let the first buyer take the hit. Though if it wasnt for people buying them and not liking the layout or what ever, there wouldnt be any 3/5 year old ones with low milage , on the market.
I also wouldn't go for the fixed bed and luton.
It would mean having to sell on sooner , as your kids arnt going to want to be sharing a bed , for much longer.
Ours originally retailed at around your budget but you can pick them up for around £30Know. See the link on my post. Think about the lounge space as well as the beds. Not having to make up beds is a bonus. As is having a proper fridge, shower , cooker n hob. When you have kids. IMO
Best thing is to look at as many as poss.
Bev

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi Hairy,
The big (and it IS big) downside of buying new is that as soon as you sign the papers your new baby will have lost about 171/2% of it's value (20% next year) which on a £50000 MH is £10000. Ouch!:whatthe:

Also, when you buy new you have to put your own hand in your own pocket for all the gadgets, gizmos and toys that you WILL want to buy. If you buy 2nd hand a lot of those will have been paid for by the previous owner (who won't recoup his outlay on the re-sale). And you get to save a chunk of money to spend on fabulous holidays.

I think if I was in your situation with a couple of growing kids and their friends I would seriously look at a van with 4 bunk beds. They can then claim their own space and have a bit of 'ownership' with you and the scraps about sharing a bed won't ever arise.:thumb: An A Class with a good pull-down bed will accomodate you and your missus very comfortably - our son claims that our pull down is very comfortable. That just leaves the bit in the middle (or wherever it is) for cooking, washing and lounging. Very important considerations these. We all dream of living outside sitting at picnic tables and watching the wildlife go by, by it really does rain and the wind really does blow and it can get awfully cold, so you need it to be nice and comfy when you retreat to the inside.

Also, make sure you get enough payload. We found that the original 460kg we had was a bit on the tight side, and that's just for the two of us.:RollEyes:

Just my thoughts - others (and you) may well disagree.

Oh and welcome to the best forum on the web.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

Hairy

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
Reigate on Sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Wow all good advice. I like the 4 bunk, and drop down bed idea, I just didn't think it was an option.

Looking at buying them, I have seen pre registered vehicles at 'knock down' prices. Are these prices to be trusted?

I am now starting to think about looking at a 'pre loved' one. I like space in them, we recently had a holiday in one in france, a 6 Berth and were so thankful of the double lounge layout and space to sit and play games together (as welll as the heating) as the rain was so biblical.

Could I get a decent quality A class with 4-6 berths for that money, pre owned or not?

\Edit to add my rude ommision of thanks!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
buying new is fine, but if you need/want to sell in the first year or two the financial hit is enormous...you may be out of pocket by thousands regardless of mileage and condition.

a 12month old van will be far cheaper and most of the faults/niggles (if any) will have been fixed.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could I get a decent quality A class with 4-6 berths for that money, pre owned or not?

\Edit to add my rude ommision of thanks!

Hi again Harry,

There is a selection of pre-owned A Class and Coachbuilts on my website of varying designs and layouts.

Make sure you have C1 entitlement on your driving licence to drive over 3500kg

Peter

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi and welcome

Buying pre owned you should be able to get what you want.

Make sure you get enough seat belts, as fitting extra is almost impossible. It is just a case of finding what you want, look at as many as possible take all of you to look and try sitting and walking about, gives an idea of how cramped it is.

I always feel you will know what you want when you see it.

Best of luck in your search

Dave :thumb::thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi & :welcome:

Might not be the models you like (both C Class) but a 2 year old tag axle Swift Kontiki or Autotrail Chieftan with overcab beds would have all the space you would need and would be within your budgets. Popular models and plenty around.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Hi Paul and :welcome: to MH Fun. Check out as many layouts as you can to get what you think is the right layout for you, some layouts have alot more room inside than others. And as the other funsters say better to buy second hand. Too much to lose buying new. We are new to motorhoming and purchased an old van (1992) to see if we like it, and if all goes well as it has so far (only been away in it twice) we will sell it and purchase one just a couple of years old.

Jenny & Bill

MrRob

Free Member
Aug 8, 2010
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
23 years
Paul,
Your requirement is similar to my own ... after ten vans in 13 years with various sizes and configerations we settled on out current layout. I now travel with adults rather than children and we have had had the same layout for 6 years. We tried to change our van this year but cannot find a better or more flexible layout than our Laika Kreos 3002, with Twin longitudinal bunks at the rear with Twin Dinettes in the centre and an over-cab double.

Link Removed

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Hairy

We bought our mh 3 years ago and like you wanted to buy new but our budget was 30k max so we looked at and elddis 130 at about 29k brand new and really like it then i saw a 9 month old one with 1900 miles on the clock and loads of extras and the over head cab still had the plastic on it and we got it for 20k so for you 45 k budget if you buy second hand you could get a really hi spec van that might have cost 60k a year or so earlier.

Only real advice id give you is if your planning on using the van in this country a lot then make sure you get the seating area right as with wet days and dark winters you will spend a lot more time sitting in the van and you dont want to be stuck around a dinning table all day, If your using it abroad more often then if like us you will sit outside more often and just sleep in van so go to dealers and sit in a few vans imagine your watching tv have a cuppa or playing games with the kids and spend at least an hour in one before you buy it try out the beds make sure there comfy and you fit in them.

Hope this helps

Gerry

OP
OP
H

Hairy

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
Reigate on Sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Thanks an awful lot for the info. Whilst new to buying a motorhome, we’ve already done some big journeys in them, including my wife and I driving up the coast of Australia in a hi top, around Australia in a VW and, more recently, driving from Rome to London in a 6 berth Ford transit based triple double bed with twin lounge. I know what you mean about spending time in the Van as we had 3 days in torrential rain where we rarely left the van unless it was to shop or swim. I think I like the look of the twin longitudinal bunks, drop down bed but also want a large lounge area. I’d prefer the option of 6 berths as I think it would be good for the kids to be able to bring friend with them, when they can.

I have seen pre registered deals on 2010 A class’s, I guess I can also get good deals on the 2010 range of some makes if they ring out a newer 2011 model? I am also not too worried about VAT as I am likely going to be purchasing this for the company; I am a peripatetic IT worker and could probably get this through the tax man as a genuine company purchase (I have already spent 8k on hotels this year). So if we’re looking at £60k new vehicles, that works to around 51k net, so with some positioning with the dealer, I think I can actually look at the £60k models. Does this bring a new A class closer? I am also not too worried about going abroad to purchase if they are cheaper there, and do not mind LHD if it helps. Like everyone, I guess I just want best bang for my bucks.

Thanks again.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you want to use the van year-round as a work station, I suggest you make sure it is well-winterised. In my mind, that means buying German or French (I'll include Laika - Italian but owned by Hymer Group).
You can easily get a good 2nd hand A-class for £40k +. Don't be too worried about buying new as these are built on commercial vehicle chassis and most used MHs are barely run in. With your budget, I would have no problem buying one with up to 30,000 miles on the clock, and expect it to run for at least 100,000 more.
The key point is to make sure it will accommodate all your requirement and is well built - hence my preference for German. Some of the earlier Hymers are built like tanks, particularly those on Merc chassis (new ones are still very good, but those with experience of old and new often claim older were better).
As previously mentioned, one of your biggest problems may be getting enough seat-belts. It is quite uncommon to find an A-class with more than 4 belted seats (ours has 3).
Whilst I recognise your need for internal space, also consider the need for storage. If you are outdoor types, you may value the storage offered by a rear "garage" more than the extra lounge room. It can fill up quite quickly with table, loungers / chairs, screen covers, rucksacks, boots, spare tins of food, wine, etc., and that's before you put bikes in.
Final thought; as an IT worker, do you need satellite internet? If so, make sure there is room on the roof for a big dish, and that it is strong enough to hold it. Also, enough spare locker room inside for the associated control boxes / router etc.

Hope this helps.
Philip

p.s. have a look at this link. A fantastic motorhome although it may not have enough seat-belts for you. We bought from this dealer and would recommend them.
Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back