Is 24ft to long? (1 Viewer)

deerhound

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi again, forum is really good, I have looked at a MH for sale and length is 24ft which to me looked a bit big for a starter? I get the impression that about 20ft seems to be normal size or should I buy the biggest and most expensive I can afford considering it will be myself and Daughter only using it. :Smile:

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Being a man I will say that "size does not matter" the thing is, will you be comfortable in and driving it, does the layout suit you and your daughter.
You need to be very lucky to find a layout you are happy with first time and think of depreciation and resale value but either way get one it is a great way to spend your time. Hey and why dont you join us on here, it's worth every penny. :thumb:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I am afraid only you can answer this question.

It depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to do as we do vanish down narrow lanes in Scotland far to big, tour abroad for months on end possibly to small.

It's a case of horses for courses.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
While size matters what about the weight

Hi again, forum is really good, I have looked at a MH for sale and length is 24ft which to me looked a bit big for a starter? I get the impression that about 20ft seems to be normal size or should I buy the biggest and most expensive I can afford considering it will be myself and Daughter only using it. :Smile:

I have no idea of your driving licence status. But most (not all) 24' campers are over 3.5 tons and that can cause an issue. Many American RV's can creep in under 7.5 tons and still be 34' long. It comes down to the bit between.

If lets say it is within your licence then you need to think is it diesel and will I have issues if it is over 3.5 tons again with Transport for London and it's charges for polution? i.e what is it's euro rating does it meet the requirements. So age of the vehilce is very important in some cases.

Size? well 24' will go on most camp sites OK. I myself have a 24' American RV and have no problems getting on a site. I wish I was bigger, but storage on my drive is OK for up to 29' so 24' is better for me. Driving it is the same regardless if it is 20' or 30' .... My view go for it as the space between a 20' and a 24' is a lot better belive me.

Let us know what it is you are considering, I am sure someone can advise you on the good and the bad of any model.

Bob

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
24ft is OK, You will be able to park up relatively easily on 99% of all campsites and aires. Some carparks you'll be nicking two slots but that rarely a problem.:Smile: I would go for the smallest motorhome that has everything you need.

NB: Deerhound, I see that you have used up your introductory posts, you can now carry on as a read only funster, or to join in or ask more questions you should consider subscribing. Thanks >> Link Removed

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting

NB: Deerhound, I see that you have used up your introductory posts, you can now carry on as a read only funster, or to join in or ask more questions you should consider subscribing. Thanks >> Link Removed

£12 well spent... recommend you open the wallet

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In my opinion,layout is just as important as size,you nead a comfortable bed otherwise your tired and grumpy next day.
You nead somwhere comfortable to lounge on wet days...its not always sunny and nothing worse than cramped up on a dinette all day with your back sitting streight.
You will nead a decent sized toilet...nothing worse than not able to close the door when in use.
Check everything for comfort before buying...lounge on the couch,can you watch TV from your lounging position???.
Is the fridge able to carry a decent amount of lifes esensials...beer.
Ask about the gross and tare weight...whats the point if your overloaded when you put your beer in???
These questions may sound stupid but believe me have seen em all in real motorhomes of varieng sizes.
Once saw an American 40ft that if you were sat on the pan you couldnt close the door:Doh:.
Looked at some huge American fivers with loads of cupboard space in the kitchen...but only a circus stiltwalker could reach them:Doh:.
Unfortunatly manufacturers dont always use there motorhomes..so they dont know till its to late.
Only one in my book,and thats the late great Wally Byrom,not only did he make em...he used em.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Our mh is 24' and its fine. Easy to drive and can get to pretty much anywhere other than very narrow lanes etc that only a PVC can get to.

As said in earlier posts layout is an issue when talking about size.

Its no good having a small van that can get anywhere if you cant relax when your in it.

Thats only my opinion. I' ve seen lots of small Panel Vans where the occupants are perfectley happy, but it woudnt do for us.

Give it some thought.

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree with previous advice..

one other consideration, if you plan on crossing to mainland Europe, the longer the van the higher the ferry cost ... however, go by tunnel and it's one price fits all

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
What do you fancy doing with a MH, what are you comfortable with/without? We all have slightly differing views on the same subject but what's gone before is all sound advise. You'll get about in anything but if after research, like surf this here forum you found yourself fancing a bit of wild camping, you might find it tricky in a 40' RV:Eeek: Do I make sence? (rarley:ROFLMAO:) Poke around dealers, shows, forums (you've found the best) and even ebay for more ideas, and as has been said spend time in the van and make sure you can be comfortable.

We dropped lucky and having enjoyed our first layout (22ft) found our ideal layout, we're a 28ft RV and so far no issues getting about, well apart from the odd idoit that has no idea of the size off or how to drive thier car:Angry:

Have fun:thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our van is over 24 foot when we have the bikes on the back but it doesn't stop us going most places. Been all over Shetland this year and most of the roads there are single track. Layout is very important for us and we love ours.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back