Basic requirements of first Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

deerhound

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Funster No
Just registered and wonder if anyone car tell me what the basic requirements are when looking to purchase my first motorhome? Engine size, turbo which fuel, size of vehicle, MOT implication, I am retired and have arthritis, on my own with Daughter, have worked out I would need at least one long seat to rest in the lay-out. any help would be greatly appreciated. Deerhoung::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The best thing you could do is go and have a look at as many as you can. Sit , lay , and imagine using them.
All we can say at the moment , is that you need 2 beds !
Visit a show , go on a fun rally ask if you can have a look around a few. If you have a budget and dont mind telling us it , then there will be plenty of folk advising you what you can get for it.
Bev

Welcome to MHF by the way , you have done the best thing joining , and asking other peoples advise before rushing in .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi & welcome deerhound :thumb:
Lots of money helps :ROFLMAO::Eeek: As Ralph says go around a few dealers to see what you like- go to a show :thumb:try lots / hiring one :thumb: that will give you the best idea :thumb: Then do your home work for prices :thumb: and what suits you
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Or you can do as I did, know almost nothing about them. :Eeek:See one on Ebay and buy it next day. Never regretted it though.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Lesley

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

deerhound

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Funster No
OK thanks for reply, I am fortunate in having the proceeds of a house sale and could spend quite a bit, my son has just purchased 2 motorhomes in space of 4 months, the first one I think was 19ft second was 21 or 22ft, they were £29K and £40K, the first one the lay out was useless consisting of two seater couches and several tables which after spending short time in it it was easier to sit outside, hence he purshased the other bigger one which has permanent double bed and the general lay out is really very nice and it just feels nice to be in, although I have never driven any of them but he reports that the bigger one is fine to drive where the smaller tended to wander. As far as cost I would be looking to maybe go as high as £20K, I do not think I would buy from dealer but from carefull owner etc. I would like to tow a boat also if possible. Thanks again for any help. deerhound::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Steelydan

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Bedford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 10
Ha,

lesleyJean we did exactly the same 3 weeks ago ( we tend to be impulsive) but all good so far:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Ha,

lesleyJean we did exactly the same 3 weeks ago ( we tend to be impulsive) but all good so far:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Glad I am not the only one. I bet there are a few more like us on here though, cause Funsters are all mad.:winky:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This is what I posted a few weeks back :thumb:
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just registered and wonder if anyone car tell me what the basic requirements are when looking to purchase my first motorhome? Engine size, turbo which fuel, size of vehicle, MOT implication, I am retired and have arthritis, on my own with Daughter, have worked out I would need at least one long seat to rest in the lay-out. any help would be greatly appreciated. Deerhoung::bigsmile:

Power Steering is a must on older vans:winky:

Layout that does not suit (so many people get it wrong and change quickly loosing $$)

Engine power dependant on your requirements.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wheels:Doh:

Sorry youl get used to us
Welcome to fun:thumb:

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
If you are wanting to tow (a boat), make sure the engine (which will likely be diesel, is well on top of the job. And make sure the van has a good max train weight for when youre towing.

Upvote 0

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Dearhound,
Definitely hire one and use it over a few days to ascertain what is important to you. This could be the bathroom, kitchen, bed etc. You will be unlikely to find this our before you have used one.

Good luck

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Hi and welcome
check the weights of what your licence will allow as you get older your entitlements change:Doh:
may be obvious but people do tend to overlook the obvious.

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
For engine type and size, and what you are intending to do (pull boat maybe), I would say that nothing under 2.5 litres turbo diesel would suffice.

Remember - we buy horsepower.....we drive torque

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back