Which mattress ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can anyone recommend a good quality mattress for our RV double bed ?
I've been looking on line and there are literally hundreds to choose from, anything from a few hundred up to a thousand pounds or more, but how do you decide which is best ? :Confused:

It's a minefield ... :RollEyes:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Not had any experience changing a mattress in a motorhome, but there are firms that will cut a foam mattress and memory foam topper to fit your bed.

We've been using a memory foam mattress (2" on 6 or 7 " foam base) in the house for a couple of years now and we find it very comfy and no bounce when the other is a bit restless. Not cheap though - about £500 for a 5' wide mattress (IIRC). If I needed to replace our MH mattress that's the route I'd go, for sure.

Hope my small contribution has been of assistance to you. ::bigsmile:

John

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Vispring! The Queen sleeps on one.
Can highly recommend them, but not cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We went bed shopping yesterday becausewhen my daughter got her degree I promised I would buy her a new bed when she got her first job, just got a job so hand in pocket Dad.

We went to HeliBeds bloody hell are they expensive and not a penny discount even when I walked ot they would'nt budge.
Next stop was AHF furniture store which is owned by CO OP we bought a lovely pocket sprung divan bed and mattress the same as the one in HeliBed for half the price. While we there I was looking at mattress's for the RV and they had some beauties at reasonable prices.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not had any experience changing a mattress in a motorhome, but there are firms that will cut a foam mattress and memory foam topper to fit your bed.

We've been using a memory foam mattress (2" on 6 or 7 " foam base) in the house for a couple of years now and we find it very comfy and no bounce when the other is a bit restless. Not cheap though - about £500 for a 5' wide mattress (IIRC). If I needed to replace our MH mattress that's the route I'd go, for sure.

Hope my small contribution has been of assistance to you. ::bigsmile:

John

Thanks John .. will look into memory foam ..

Thanks Sharon

Nothing is too expensive for 'my queen' .. :winky:

I'll have a look at them :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I see one is expanding ones social circle Sharon:ROFLMAO:on first name terms too!! (The)
besides she got it for nowt:RollEyes:Geo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim look at the Rakself Memory Foam, they do a full mattress which that will cut to any size or shape. They are expensive, but they are absolutely superb, I can't praise them highly enough.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Rakself Memory Foam,

We have the 2 inch Rakself Memory Foam topper. Had them four years now and they are excellent, even got one on my bed at home. :thumb::thumb:

Don

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hi i brought a foam mattress as the sprung ones are not to good in a RV as the steel in the springs and edging can hold the damp, if the bus is not used for a wile then the rust gets them very quickly and the springs or the wire that fits them gives way, its just that the RV can get exposed to more moisture than a bed in a house.

FORDY:Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for all the advice folks, :Smile:

as our's is in use 365, not just for holidays, I'm going to look at getting a Vi-spring .. might be the last I need to buy .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I always had problems finding a good one until I stayed in a hotel that had a blinder for comfort so when I came home I bought one of the same, never looked back.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
well pleased ..

Today we went mattress hunting and found a king size Vi-Spring Bedstead Supreme in the House of Fraser sale.. The RRP was £2,000 , sale price £1485, further reduced to £900.. so after her and I had a good bounce on it we decided it was the dog's whotsits and go for it, so I spoke to the sales guy and asked about delivery .. 6 - 8 weeks he replied, disappointed I asked about the 'floor' model and he said yeah , you can have that for £700 and delivered next Monday. ::bigsmile:

Thanks for all the advice.. looking forward to a decent nights sleep now... :Cool:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wow, a £2000 matress, I didn't think there was such a thing. So Jim, your early morning posting will stop then, you'll not be waking up till lunch.:roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Today we went mattress hunting and found a king size Vi-Spring Bedstead Supreme in the House of Fraser sale.. The RRP was £2,000 , sale price £1485, further reduced to £900.. so after her and I had a good bounce on it we decided it was the dog's whotsits and go for it, so I spoke to the sales guy and asked about delivery .. 6 - 8 weeks he replied, disappointed I asked about the 'floor' model and he said yeah , you can have that for £700 and delivered next Monday. ::bigsmile:

Thanks for all the advice.. looking forward to a decent nights sleep now... :Cool:

I am so pleased at your bargain. You will never get a better night's sleep:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am so pleased at your bargain. You will never get a better night's sleep:thumb:

Cheers Sharon,
we promised ourselves a decent mattress when we went full time so it was well overdue .. :Blush:

Jim

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i need a mattress topper or a new mattress....i am using the van 99.9% of the time to sleep in now & my back is starting to kill......its rock solid :shout:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
don't buy a cheap topper Sam, they are terrible. These are expensive but fantastic.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
i need a mattress topper or a new mattress....i am using the van 99.9% of the time to sleep in now & my back is starting to kill......its rock solid :shout:
We have just bought 2 Samm one for van and one for home ,Makro had offer on til end of oct double for £70 double sided (eggbox like on reverse) and Woolworths for the other £60 both 2" and good quality but not tried the Raskell ones so cant compare.
Rob

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have just bought 2 Samm one for van and one for home ,Makro had offer on til end of oct double for £70 double sided (eggbox like on reverse) and Woolworths for the other £60 both 2" and good quality but not tried the Raskell ones so cant compare.
Rob

sounds great rob.....but may have to ask santa for one...:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back