Long Haul Virgin (1 Viewer)

PixelBloke

Free Member
Aug 9, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
Exp
One year
After a lifetime of doings everything as a couple I suddenly found myself alone. I decided a motorhome and the lure of the open road was probably what I needed...a new adventure.
I've made a few short local trips with just one or two over nights but seem to be finding it hard to pluck up the courage for a long haul to the Scottish Highlands.
Are my feelings of apprehension normal...is this just first-time nerves?
Dave

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
..a new adventure.
seem to be finding it hard to pluck up the courage for a long haul to the Scottish Highlands.
Dave

If you are going to do it do the job properly. Push your limits.

For the same mileage you could be eaten alive and drowned in Scotland or you could be here:

http://www.mobilhome-paris.com/
Link Removed
Link Removed

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Yes feelings normal, but once mastered you are in for a treat.

With your hobbies, you will take to the Scottish Highlands like a duck to water.

In my opinion there is no better place in Britain to take your motorhome, and the local people you will meet will make you most welcome. I have been travelling around Scotland for years and have built up a collection of people who I now have the pleasure to call friends, site owners, wardens, shop people, landlords and so on. I rarely go long without meeting someone.

I would say go for it you will not be sorry.

Best of luck.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

With your hobbies, you will take to the Scottish Highlands like a duck to water.

In my opinion there is no better place in Britain to take your motorhome, and the local people you will meet will make you most welcome. I have been travelling around Scotland for years and have built up a collection of people who I now have the pleasure to call friends, site owners, wardens, shop people, landlords and so on. I rarely go long without meeting someone.

Best of luck.

Hi Dave, can you recommend a couple of wildcamping/sites on the west coast of Scotland, preferably very close to the sea. We are wanting to go nex week to give the motorhome a good run before we set off for Spain.

Thanks

Ginny and Mike
g

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Best of luck.
Hi Dave, can you recommend a couple of wildcamping/sites on the west coast of Scotland, preferably very close to the sea. We are wanting to go nex week to give the motorhome a good run before we set off for Spain.

Thanks

Ginny and Mike

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
After a lifetime of doings everything as a couple I suddenly found myself alone. I decided a motorhome and the lure of the open road was probably what I needed...a new adventure.
I've made a few short local trips with just one or two over nights but seem to be finding it hard to pluck up the courage for a long haul to the Scottish Highlands.
Dave

Never mind the nerves! Just go for it! (Take some insect repellent with you though, just saw a midge fly by the window with a Goat in it's claws!)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I must admit that when I set out to 'do' Scotland a couple of years ago, I got as far as Dumfries and decided that was quite enough driving.

I turned left and had a wonderful holiday on the Solway Firth.

That's the beauty of motorhoming :Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
It is very difficult to recommend any particular spots there are so many it is just a matter of take your pick. I don't normally bother to make a note of them just find new spots as required. Some I only know when approaching them, it makes it more fun that way.

The West Coast is full of spots by coast or by the side of Lochs.

Would say just go and enjoy it.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I got as far as Dumfries and decided that was quite enough driving.

That's the beauty of motorhoming :Smile:

Wimp !

Might be the beauty of motorhoming but you've nea seen the beauty o' Scotland lassie.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Dave id go for it but me being scottish would say that. I must say id do what janine did and turn left once in scotland as dumfries and galloway is very quiet and ideal for mhs and the fact i stay in dumfries has nothing to do with it. Also the good thing is we dont have any pay carparks and if your sensible you will be able to stay in local carparks for a few days. We always have a couple of mh's sitting next to rive during the summer and police wont bother them. on way home from work tonight had 3 sitting in the dock park had a good look and didnt see any fun stickers on them. If you would like any info on d&g just ask.

Gerry

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Dave, just take baby steps. Don’t tell yourself your going to any one place just point yourself in the direction and each day see how you feel, you will be surprised how easy you will fall into it.

Dave, if you go to the section of the site: downloads/touring-information wild-camping-uk download this file and print it out, this will show you loads of wild camping places all over the uk its in sections so you can just print Scotland if you want. We carry the whole thing on the laptop.

Good luck and have fun!:thumb:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dave id go for it but me being scottish would say that. I must say id do what janine did and turn left once in scotland as dumfries and galloway is very quiet and ideal for mhs and the fact i stay in dumfries has nothing to do with it. Also the good thing is we dont have any pay carparks and if your sensible you will be able to stay in local carparks for a few days. We always have a couple of mh's sitting next to rive during the summer and police wont bother them. on way home from work tonight had 3 sitting in the dock park had a good look and didnt see any fun stickers on them. If you would like any info on d&g just ask.

Gerry

We would certainly like some information on that area, and would appreciate any you can send, could you PM us please?

Ginny and Mike

Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
Hi

Dave

Depends on you Dave but it sounds like first time nerves. I also like company to meet up with but this year I did S Wales (10 - 11 days) Scotland (almost 3 weeks) and France (almost a month). I spent a lot of time on my own but also met some great people. In France I met up with some friends for 2 -3 days and then went on a Barge/Cycling holiday for a week. I am by my nature very outgoing and feel comfortable in meeting people in any circumstances although I want and need company too.
Just remember that at times it may be uncomfortable being on your own but there are good sides to it too and if you do get a bit down, you ain't going to die from it.
You never know we may even meet sometime.
Gaudie

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Dave and Gaudie, There are so many people on this forum that as you travel long journeys there is always someone along the way you can meet up with for a coffee ... or a veggie burger...::bigsmile: Joy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back