Does anyone know campsites in Edinburgh? (1 Viewer)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Going to Scotland next week and fancy going to Edinburgh.

Does anyone have any experience of camping there?

We want to visit Dynamic Earth and the Castle.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Morton Hall Caravan Park

Just five minutes from the City by-pass, the A720.

They take up to 40ft RVs on hard-standing with 16 amps electric.

www.meadowhead.co.uk phone 01316 641533

Good site well spoken of - BUT do not use the post code for sat Nav - follow the brown camping site signs. Sat Nav goes wrong!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Rex & Marie,

When I worked in Edinburgh a fellow contractor lived in his Touring Caravan. He had to move it every three weeks for obvious reasons. But, whichever campsite he went to in Edinburgh he always manged to catch the bus into work. So you should be able to find one close to a bus route. The bus services are pretty good.

Edinburgh is easy to navigate around. Some of the open top bus tours are good. Plus I believe there are tours around/under the bridges which are excellent fun. I did hear there were Rebus's Edinburgh tours too but you'll have to enquire about that. The royal yacht Britannia is interesting for a couple of hours when the weather is bad.

Hope you have a good time.

Phil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The royal yacht Britannia is interesting for a couple of hours
Phil

It's incredibly enlightening.

I've never seen the British class system more accurately laid out before.

The Queen's apartment, of course. Then officers. Then lower ranks. Can't remember if there is a toe-rag compartment. Each step down clearly visible.

Toe-rags were not allowed to look or talk to Her Majesty unless spoken to.

Amazingly small boat.

A really different world.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Stayed on this 3 times :thumb: Nice little wood attached to the site to walk dog in or straight across from entrance there is another wood - down about 100 steps to a nice grass area then sea :thumb:
MORRISON RD has a car park that will take m/h and I believe you can overnight there :thumb:
If you stay on CC site you can catch buses or about £12 for a taxi to castle / royal mile
Ye Old Peacock inn is nice for a meal - out of CC site turn rt- turn left on roundabout then follow seafront for about 2 miles-watch for loch fines restaurant on left -pub on right just after:thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've stayed at the CC site a couple of times. Very good, usual CC high standard. I undersstand that there is no longer a bus stop right outside but the nearest is only a short walk away.

Day rover tickets were very good value when we were there - remember English bus passes aren't valid in Scotland :Sad:

Graham

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
the bus that went from outside the CC site no longer runs , but there is now a mini bus that runs from inside the camp every 30 mins to princess St, we caught it when we was there earlier on this year, and you can catch it back to the camp

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks everyone!:thumb::thumb:

I've been on the CC sit webpage and guess what??? They're fully booked for the next 2 weeks!:Sad:
I was really fancying that one too!

I'll have to try Mortonhall next!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Marie and Rex,

A couple of years ago I stayed on a "superior pitch" at Morton Hall in my Hymer...

I will now try to post a picture of it

JJ

Attachments

• user2459_pic661_1230650865[1].jpg
    user2459_pic661_1230650865[1].jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Marie and Rex,

A couple of years ago I stayed on a "superior pitch" at Morton Hall in my Hymer...

I will now try to post a picture of it

JJ

I've just submitted a booking form to them for a Standard pitch - fingers crossed they ain't full!!

I hate booking ahead but sometimes we got to do it!:Eeek:

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Well that's no good either - fully booked!!:cry::cry::cry:

Looking at CL's now! Trouble is we need public transport so that's more difficult!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was there at the height of the Festival and there were spaces everyday. It is a huge site but when I was there the staff were all excellent and very friendly... of course they knew I was a Man City fan... :winky: :winky:

JJ

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Its the Edinburgh tattoo thing next week. You may have trouble getting in anywhere.
We were going to go with a rally group we are members of .
They are staying at East Fortune farm EH39 5JU a beautiful family run site . Rally fee £6.50 a night. 11th to 18th August.
(You'd have to join the club. About £15 for the year , for a family , as well though for insurance purposes. )
Theres no unit limit . They also had some spare tickets for the tattoo going last week. For the 16th of August.
We arnt going now as we have the MH booked in on the 15th for a week to be re-upholstered.:thumb:
If your stuck and cant get in anywhere, pm me and i will give you the rally marshals phone number. I'm sure they would welcome you along.
We've just got back from a 5 night rally with them at Scarborough.
Bev

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Marie again, chances are there will be room at the CC site.:thumb: Lots book and do not turn up.You can always wild park on a huge car park by the royal yacht Britannia for free.(see other post on old peacock-about another half mile on left )
The Morrisons rd car park is only about ten mins walk from the royal mile and it used to be about £7 for 24 hrs ok for the night if stuck
terry

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Hi
hight of festival difficult to book anywhere in August going tomorrow booked in at Lothian Bridge Caravan Park Dalkeith near a bus route into Edinbrugh may be worth a call tel 01316636120.Stayed at Morton Hall last year this one is a bit smaller and does not cost as mutch.
SID

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
IMVHO if you have not found anywhere I would definitely drive to the reception at Morton Hall around midday to three o'clock and ask if there are any cancellations...

JJ :winky:

PS. they have a big "late arrivals" area... tell 'em you love Mancini and they might let you use that for a night...

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Thanks everyone!:thumb::thumb:

I've been on the CC sit webpage and guess what??? They're fully booked for the next 2 weeks!:Sad:
I was really fancying that one too!

I'll have to try Mortonhall next!

Phone the site direct the times i have been on the web and it was full then phoned and there was places

Bill:Cool::Cool:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hello. We're locals and Edinburgh is heaving with tourists for the festival. Hence the problems with booking. It's a really exciting time to visit the city with fringe performers in the streets and literally thousands of shows to choose from.
There's a nice site at Linwater http://www.linwater.co.uk/ just West of the city boundary. From there it's about 3 miles to Hermiston park and ride where yesterday I saw several MHs parked. I don't know if they were overnighting or just there for the day.
Day tickets on Edinburgh buses including the trip from the park and ride are very good value (@£3) - you can go anywhere on Lothian buses with these.
Hope that helps.
Mags

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Marie, just posting this sitting on CCC Holiday Rally on the Royal Highland Centre Edinburough runs to the 19th August and there are places no need to book, park and ride 15min walk and £1.20p into town, could be a option, if you are in the CCC. Maybe see you here. :Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

I would agree with everyone else about the cc site we tried to book it and it was full phoned up and got in we have also stayed at a cl in damhead just next to the ski slope and 8 min walk one way to bus stop and 6 the other the reason i know is Sophie was moaning about having to walk so we timed it lol. Give them a call their in the cc website has hook up and a wc but no shower. If you walk to the right when you come out of site you will get to ikea and supermarket for breakfast.

When we stayed at the cc site in silverknowes they offered a bus service to town but thought it was a bit pricey and it was only a 15min walk at max to bus stop busses run all night only advice is take a small tourch as the last 1/2 mile is unlit.

Gerry

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Marie, just posting this sitting on CCC Holiday Rally on the Royal Highland Centre Edinburough runs to the 19th August and there are places no need to book, park and ride 15min walk and £1.20p into town, could be a option, if you are in the CCC. Maybe see you here. :Smile:

Hi Carol

We may just see you there!!:Smile:
We're in the CCC - who do we need to ring to ensure a place and get info???

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just managed to log on, its on page 100 CCC mag August its a holiday rally so need to book just turn up £6 per night weather been excellent Fringe Festival really good well worth the trip. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back