New File Added: Garage Handover Form (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Downloads: A new file has been added by Jim:

Link Removed

After reading the horrendous story about the motorhome stolen whilst it was in the garage and the owner subsequently discovering that they were not insured when their motorhome was in for service
:Eeek: It seems this is a common exclusion so I decided to knock up a quick form that I will endeavour to get signed when I leave my vehicle in a garage.

Feel free to use the form, but only on the proviso that you understand I am not a lawyer, I have no idea if this form would stand up in court or if it would help or hinder your claim. I place it here only as an example of what I will use and recommend you take legal advice before you use it:roflmto:

How I hate our litigious society:Smile:

Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks Jim, worth a punt if nowt else.

i'm sure one could sue the garage for lack of 'duty of care'
after all you left the motorhome in THEIR care.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why not put the text in this thread to temp a comment.

Motorhome Receipt
I_______________________________________
of
it will be covered by our insurance policy.
Motorhome Condition at Handover
I have inspected the vehicle and have noted below any damage, scratches
scuff etc. I have made this a thorough inspection as I accept that
I will be responsible for any damage subsequently found.
Damage Noted:
____________________ _______________ __________________ _____________________
Signature Date ‐ Time Print Name Position. Director/Sales Manager etc
____________________ _______________
Owners Signature Date ‐ Time

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Jim the form is a good idea but just wondered that the garage owner could still sign this knowing that he is not covered for the m/h full stop,

Would knowing the garage's insurers , tel no and the amount insured for / limit help?

It was mentioned recently in another thread regarding limited amount the garage is insured for m/h's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Champers, that's a good idea. I have no idea about garage owners policys and what they might cover. There are a few Funster garage owners maybe they can enlighten us as to what a typical policy covers.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its a good effort but I reckon any garage would give you a funny look and hand back the keys.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its a good effort but I reckon any garage would give you a funny look and hand back the keys.
Jim

I agree Jim, but are we then to leave £50k unsure if it is insured:Smile:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Yes possibly some garage owners would be bewildered why we are asking, but thinking now would a insurance company if tel by the customer disclose that the garage limit was high enough or not to cover their m/h whilst at the garage...... I doubt it

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

No Jim, not at all, thats why I said "It Was A Good Effort".

I find it difficult to think of an answer to the problem.

If the garage isnt Insured then its not Insured and thats that.

You know yourself that when you Insure your mh-rv your Insurance Comany will not pay out unless you are in possesion of all keys and alarm fobs, or at least thats my experience.

If the garage owner will sign the form, thats fine. If your Insurance Comany will accept that the vehicle was securley kept by the garage and pay out on a theft, thats fine.

Thats just not the way it works.

Maybe before anybody takes their vehicle and leaves it with the garage, they should contact their Insurer and confirm or otherwise whether its going to be Insured.

If its not then speak to the garage and ask to see their Insurance Policy. If the vehicle is not Insured, dont leave it their.

Then what do you do ?

Its a valid subject for discussion and I'll admit that I dont know the answer.

Jim

:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Nice idea, but easy way is inform your insurers that it needs to be on cover whilst having the work done as you are not sure the garage ins covers it :thumb: best of both then:thumb:
terry
edit --Do you inform ins that your van is in storage ?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
edit --Do you inform ins that your van is in storage ?

As a general rule youre Insurer will take in to account where the vehicle is kept when giving a quote.

I blieve that Insurance is higher when kept in storage rather than on your own property.

Jim

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As a general rule youre Insurer will take in to account where the vehicle is kept when giving a quote.

I blieve that Insurance is higher when kept in storage rather than on your own property.

Jim
I remember having to inform insurers when I got a curtsey car to transfer cover :thumb:
terry

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
OK then guys and girls! So we finish working on the motorhome. It is parked up in our safe and secure car park and then another motorhome owner reverses straight into the front of it!

The Kon Tiki owner had been asked to collect his van as the work had been finished. So 24 hours after being asked to collect his motorhome, it was still in our car park, when Bang!

Is that still our responsibility?

By the way Niesman bischoff versus Swift Kon Tiki? Ripped the back of the NB right off left it on the floor of the car park, £250 of damage to the Kon Tikis paintwork!

What about a campsite? If I leave my motorhome on a campsite and go out for the day and my camper is stolen, do I sue the campsite?

We are fullly insured for any eventuality as a business, but another to ponder. You leave me your motorhome for us to install more toys for you. It gets stolen over night from our car park. We still have the keys locked in our key safe. You then tell us that you actually left a set in the motorhome, which it then transpires is the way that the motorhome was stolen! Is that still my fault? or yours?

Nothing is clear!

Eddie

ps Excellent idea though Jim but I wouldn't let any of my staff sign it as I would smell a rat wondering on how I was being shafted or conned some how! Sorry:winky:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Owners vans left with us for servicing/repairs/warranty are fully covered by our insurance, they are not covered by us if some other third party driver not employed by us damages it as they would have their own insurance to answer Eddies post.

Vans left on our premises for contract sale would not be covered as they would not be our property and the owner would have to make sure he was covered.

Peter

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Owners vans left with us for servicing/repairs/warranty are fully covered by our insurance, they are not covered by us if some other third party driver not employed by us damages it as they would have their own insurance to answer Eddies post.

Vans left on our premises for contract sale would not be covered as they would not be our property and the owner would have to make sure he was covered.

Peter

Hi Peter, I know from previous conversations that both of us have full cover. It would seem that many business's don't

Another thing that amazes me is the amount of concern that this issue has raised, when leaving a motorhome at bona fide premises worth millions in some cases, yet some many people get blase at shows.

We often see any old tom dick or harry with ladders up the side of motorhomes and caravans, drilling holes in roofs even in the rain and no one seems to bat an eyelid! I personally would be more concerned about that type of traders insuarance to be honest.

Eddie

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
FWIW I fully agree with Eddie and Peter. We carry full insurance to cover any eventuality caused by me or my employees/contractors but I do honestly wonder sometimes about what level of cover some businesses carry and whether or not their insurers would be happy to know they're (as Eddie says) drilling holes in roofs in a field in the rain.

D.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
this is a very informative thread, it raises questions I had never thought about:whatthe:, both for my Hm and cars. I think a call to my insurerers is in order as well as quizzing any service agents,

thanks to all parties

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When I had my caravan storage compound, I was unable to get cover for vans left in storage as they were not my property. I had terms of business that stated that all vans must be insured by their owner while in storage. How many places that store caravans or Motorhomes (sites and Farms) have even considered this.

Comfort Insurance do now cover Motorhomes while in the care of the motor trade for repairs and servicing. This will be in the terms and conditions of the policy from next renewal. Ben Que MD of Comfort has issued me with a statement that the underwriters will consider this to be in force between now and my next renewal.

It was the fact that Comfort didn't provide this cover that sparked this debate.

How many owners realise that if they have new goodies fitted to their Motorhome that they must inform the insurance of the change immediately or the new bits will not be covered as they are not part of the contract. It happened to us over a Satellite Dish that got damaged when the safari room took off over the van roof. The TV antenna was covered but not the newly fitted satellite dish.

John

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When I had my caravan storage compound, I was unable to get cover for vans left in storage as they were not my property. I had terms of business that stated that all vans must be insured by their owner while in storage. How many places that store caravans or Motorhomes (sites and Farms) have even considered this.

Comfort Insurance do now cover Motorhomes while in the care of the motor trade for repairs and servicing. This will be in the terms and conditions of the policy from next renewal. Ben Que MD of Comfort has issued me with a statement that the underwriters will consider this to be in force between now and my next renewal.

It was the fact that Comfort didn't provide this cover that sparked this debate.

I agree with a point that Dave said
I do honestly wonder sometimes about what level of cover some businesses carry and whether or not their insurers would be happy to know they're (as Eddie says) drilling holes in roofs in a field in the rain.

With so much inspection of garages and owners insurance going on around this subject, perhaps motor home owners should investigate their own insurance situation should a person at a show clamber on the roof and damage/set fire to a van whilst working on it.

Don't forget the damage can appear some months/years after and tracking down a trader that appeared for a few shows and then disappeared again could be impossible.

I also wonder and perhaps any legal eagles here may throw some light on it. You let some one work on your motor home in the middle of a wet muddy field and they fall off your motorhome breaking their neck! Are you liable?

I know the legal situation inside out regarding our own workshops and our staff whilst on our premises, but I do wonder about the insurance side whilst working at a customers house or a show when the conditions and weather may make any installation hazardous

I guess it is the old chestnut about lending a ladder to someone!

Eddie

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It is an interesting point.

If this had happened to me I would have sued the insurers for an indemity. Whatever their policy states it would i think be implied that from time to time the MH would not be kept at its normal place due to servicing requirements.

Insurers these days get away with murder.

In the event a van is stolen from a dealer who has insurance for the loss then the two insurers will battle it out between themselves. I suspect that the insurer who would pay out would be yours unless it could be shown that the garage failed to take reasonable care.

My concern with getting a garage to sign that sort of form is that it might give your own insurer a get out on the basis that you were aware there was a potential problem with insurance and chose to rely upon the garage insurance.

If the garage insurers then dug their heels in by arguing all reasonable care was taken you might have a problem.

My advice would be to send your insurers a letter (pref by fax and keep the sending receipt) stating that from time to time your motorhome will be at a garage for service/ repair and you assume that this does not affect your policy.

If your insurers have a problem with that they will let you know or will just file the letter.

At least then if there was a later problem you would have your piece of paper to point to and the insurers would not have a preverbial leg to stand on.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
When I had my caravan storage Comfort Insurance do now cover Motorhomes while in the care of the motor trade for repairs and servicing. This will be in the terms and conditions of the policy from next renewal. Ben Que MD of Comfort has issued me with a statement that the underwriters will consider this to be in force between now and my next renewal.

Thanks for that info John, we are with comfort and you dont get to read all the samll print I know we should but how many peole do?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back