Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We are off to France in September, down to Troyes and then who knows where. Is there anything I really shouldn't miss on the way? I would look at the books but they are locked up in the MH and I can't get them out just now.
Ivy

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hello Ivy
The Milau Viaduct is must to drive over, nice town with good sites and an aires near the viaduct, we going to Interlarken in Switzerland, then into France in September dont no were yet just take it as it comes. enjoy you trip Pete & Lynn :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thanks Pete. I think Milau is over on the west side isn't it? I'd love to go there and there is a rumbling in this house about going to Portugal after Christmas, in which case we would go over the bridge. It looks fabulous on the internet.
Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

danny.tallieu

Free Member
Aug 8, 2010
Belgium, Oudenaarde
Funster No
MH
Ford
Exp
Troyes

We are off to France in September, down to Troyes and then who knows where. Is there anything I really shouldn't miss on the way? I would look at the books but they are locked up in the MH and I can't get them out just now.
Ivy
Hey there. When you are traveling to Troyes, you can as well visit Reims and Epernay. When you are driving to the south, you pass Dijon and Baune, city's worth visiting.
Have a good trip.
You can also plan your trip using www.franceguide.com.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Epernay - and drink loads of the stuff

Hey there. When you are traveling to Troyes, you can as well visit Reims and Epernay. When you are driving to the south, you pass Dijon and Baune, city's worth visiting.
Have a good trip.
You can also plan your trip using www.franceguide.com.

Plenty to drink in Epernay (bubbly stuff) and there is an Aires on the river just off the square. nice country area..drove it in April went off the main roads to avoid tolls and it was worth it.

Bob:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
All depends what interests you. Here are a few suggestions.

Just south and east of St Omer is the Eperlecques blockhouse - part of the Nazi V-rocket programme.
http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/watten.html

Arras is one of the finest examples of an old Flemish town - part of the Hanseatic League.

Further south, Laon is worth a visit to the old town and cathedral on the hill. Park at the bottom and either walk or take the cable-pulled train to the top.

Southeast of Reims is the Lac du Der-Chantecoq - France's biggest man-made lake. It's huge and has three (I think) harbours on it. Great if you are interested in lakes, birds, sailing - just chilling out. It also has two aires de service: one between Arrigny and St.-Marie-du-Lac in the north, and one at Giffaumont-Champaubert in the south.

The area of the Barse is attractive - east of Troyes - villages, lakes and woods.

And finally, Troyes is a lovely place to meander through - lots of old timber-framed buildings.

Philip

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Just south and east of St Omer is the Eperlecques blockhouse - part of the Nazi V-rocket programme.
http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/watten.html

Hi Phillip
Thanks for the web address above. We shall be staying Le Chateau Ganspette campsite at Eperlecques in September this is just around the corner and I shall certainly visit it.

So thanks again.:thumb:

If you are ever in West Cornwall and need a beer let me know.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks Pete. I think Milau is over on the west side isn't it? I'd love to go there and there is a rumbling in this house about going to Portugal after Christmas, in which case we would go over the bridge. It looks fabulous on the internet.
Ivy
Millau is on the East side, so a long way from Portugal.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
You might enjoy Langres for a walk round the town walls and a stopover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langres

It's the birthplace of Diderot who compiled the Encyclopedie which indirectly helped lead to the French Revolution.
Park under the ramparts and take the funicular railway to the town with narrow streets. It's good for a stopover.
We stayed at a campsite outside Langres about a couple of miles outside St Geosmes but it was on a busy road, used as a nightstop, and a bit unkempt away from the front of the campsite. There is another site on the nearby Reservoir Du Liez but we haven't tried it.
Lucille

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Lac de Liez site is by the lake near Langres. It takes Camping cheques in September and is very pleasant.
Lac de L'Orient nearer Troyes has a MH aire and there's a service point right outside the camp site. We saw loads of MHs parked up near the lake shore last September.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
About 50K south of Troyes is a small town called St. Florentin, worth a 1 night stopover and a walk around the Town. It has a lovely old church, small shopping area, several cafes, a fuel station which had diesel at 1:12 (96p)/L last week.

There is a small camp site with EHU and very basic facilities or you can wild camp on the edge of the canal near the Fire Station.

Slightly south of St. Florentin is the Chables region and you can tour the wineries etc.

Hope you find this helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back