12v - 240v inverters (1 Viewer)

Davsan

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Funster No
I need to charge phones, laptops, cameras while not hooked up. Also use a laptop plugged into a 240 supply.

Is an inverter the best route to take and if so can anyone recommend an inverter to buy.

Many thanks
Davsan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I need to charge phones, laptops, cameras while not hooked up. Also use a laptop plugged into a 240 supply.

Is an inverter the best route to take and if so can anyone recommend an inverter to buy.

Many thanks
Davsan

It's the only way ( genny not very practical for your needs ).

There are cheap inverters and sine wave inverters. Cheap inverters sometimes have spikes on the output that can wreck delicate electronics. Sine wave ones are as good as the mains.

I'd suggest you scan ebay or wherever for Sine Wave 300 watts.

300 watts might look big but I've a laptop that kept tripping a 150W cheap inverter so in the end I did the job properly.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If thats all your doing...get dedicated 12volt leads and forget the inverter.
All your doing is wasting power with an inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pinkgin

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto
Exp
15 + years,
if you look back through my posts you will see I have just carried this out. One word of warning, I have 300w invertor WOULD NOT power my laptop. I asked the question as to why and got severa different answers. The correct one was it simply was not big enough, 600w will do it no problem or if you want to dry your hair you could go down the route of a few of us and have a 1.2 kw inverter and a big battery bank. Or simply make things as 12v as possible although I again nave found this a problem in the laptop compartment. But bear in mind we take two laptops and a world of kids electronics.

He's been on my laptop again! Don't look back through my posts, look at HAGANAP's.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
if you look back through my posts you will see I have just carried this out. One word of warning, I have 300w invertor WOULD NOT power my laptop. I asked the question as to why and got severa different answers. The correct one was it simply was not big enough, 600w will do it no problem or if you want to dry your hair you could go down the route of a few of us and have a 1.2 kw inverter and a big battery bank. Or simply make things as 12v as possible although I again nave found this a problem in the laptop compartment. But bear in mind we take two laptops and a world of kids electronics.

Sorry put that under Nikki's log in, try searching mine :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sin wave and pur sin wave

He's been on my laptop again! Don't look back through my posts, look at HAGANAP's.

Size does matter. Also there is a differance between sin wave and pure sin wave. One is a smooth line of power i.e. Pure Sin Wave and the other is a more broken up power line, best I can discribe it is as pixels in a camera. it the lower it is the less oixels it takes.. i.e every other one. Same goes for Sin Waves.

Even a small 300 sin (pure) wave inverter is expensive. I had to go up to 1500 watts pur sin wave to run things like my mains 26" TV, computers and charge my electric buggies and a host of other things. - I use a marine application by Sterling. it does the job. expensive and large... also worth noting it also draws power when it is on.

If you just want to charge the odd mobile phone then go via 12v from the battery, cheaper and will work. You can also run a lot of laptops from a cigar lighter (run the engine at the same time). If it is the hair dryer, mains tv etc., go and get an expert to fit it like Van Bitz. All the power you will want, but you will be a lot poorer. (needs serious cables from the battery to the inverter).

Remember there is a differance between Pure sin wave and just sin wave.. i.e you cannot run a washing machine on sin wave but can on pure sin wave (yes Yanks have washing machines).. tv's do not flicker with pure sin wave they do on normal sine wave etc., etc.,

Bob:thumb:

MrRob

Free Member
Aug 8, 2010
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
23 years
120W Ultra-Slim Air and 12V Invertor - Maplins

Link Removed

Discontinued now but £15 in store while stock lasts.

I have three (and one kensington that is identical) that have been in use for 3 years on mains only canon and panasonic battery chargers, about 20 different laptop power supplies and numerous other devices from walkie talkies to phone chargers . They trip occasionally when power hungry laptops are used with discharged batteries (just turn them on and off and they reset) ... but will charge them if the laptop is left turned off ... they are much quieter than most inverters I have owned.

They have got to be worth a try if you can get your hands on one. The Kensington branded one is about £45 and available for PC World :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back