Looking to Buy Kontiki (1 Viewer)

PaulDodds

Free Member
Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
Hi
We live in NZ and are thinking of importing a Swift Kontiki. We have two kids so the 665s looks like a good option as we need seat belts for at least 4 (I understand they have stopped making them). I don't understand why you have say 6 berth campervans but only seat belts for say 2. Anyway - what are people's thoughts on this van? I would want the 160hp version. What is the outside storage like? I have also seen the Lunar Roadstar 780 which looks comparable. Does anyone have thoughts on how they compare? We will want a 2007 or newer van. Mileage isn't a big deal. Any helpful comments would be appreciated along with contacts for sourcing the right van.:Smile::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Paul,

Have a look on my website, there is quite a selection there, only problem could be is that by the time you are in the UK, it couldl be sold.

Peter

Aug 4, 2010
Potton, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
We would like a 660, but not sure it will fit down the side of our house. How is the best way to find out because if we bought it and it didn't fit . . .

Cheryl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Looking to buy a Kontiki

Hi PaulDodds

I would tend to look at the Kontiki or Bessaccar, I had a Lunar 780 and a Bessey E760, a much better piece of kit, although the E760 had only two seatbelts, but I think others in the range will meet your requirements.

If you are importing it to NZ, then one company I would suggest you contact is Moran Motorhome Services, I know they have exported M/H's for customers.

www.moranmotorhomes.co.uk

I have no conection with this compauy, other than a satisfied customer.

Good luck with your search

Nomadic

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We would like a 660, but not sure it will fit down the side of our house. How is the best way to find out because if we bought it and it didn't fit . . .

Cheryl

DIY way is to get a tape measure :cry:

Proper way is have a test drive and take it home providing you dont live 50 miles away.

We often take vans to peoples houses for a test 'park up'

Peter

OP
OP
P

PaulDodds

Free Member
Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
Hi Paul,

Have a look on my website, there is quite a selection there, only problem could be is that by the time you are in the UK, it couldl be sold.

Peter
Thanks. We have relatives in the UK so if we found one we like we would get them to check it out and then we would get shipped to NZ, so I don't see much of a problem. At this stage I am trying to figure out what makes have the best reputation etc and what will meet our needs. Our current Kiwi van is about 6.8 metres long. I think one a bit longer will be better. A lot of the vans have tiny bench space unlike our current one. Ideally we want a fixed bed, separate shower, good bench space, seat belts for at least 4, new Fiat model with 160hp engine. The English vans seem to have a nicer finish and are set up for the winter which ours are not, hence the interest. The Lunar 780 or similar also looks possible, but I don't have any feedback so far as to how they compare to the Kontiki. Any help would be appreciated. There is no rush, firstly need to be clear on model to go for which at this early stage I think is the Kontiki 665s. I have seen some Kontiki's in NZ which look nice - just not sure of how well they are put together. I would love for someone to explain why you have say 6 berth vans with only 2 seat belts as well. That just doesn't make sense to me.All help appreciated!!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We found , when we were in South Australia a couple of years ago for a month , that the MH's out there were very expensive and very old fashioned.:ROFLMAO:
Very solidly built inside ,unlike most of ours , but a bit 70's draylon look.
As were the caravans.
BUT they were made alot stronger .
Bigger tyres and better suspension.
More suited for the roads out there.
We would have been hard pressed to get a decent caravan for under ÂŁ20k down there.
We looked at some , as we were all set to emigrate and wanted to carry on our hobby.
We didn't emigrate , for lots of reasons , came back saved up and sold our caravan and bought our MH.
The MH's are a lot cheaper and more modern over here , even after paying for them transporting over there.
But would they wear well on the roads out there?
Bev

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Our Kontiki 660 is now sold. lasted about 5 days. The 665P has only two belts but is a superb van, I collected it from a Merc Main dealer who took in part exhange and we originally supplied it form new, fantastic drive.

Any van with bench sofas will not be fitted with seat belts as there are no anchorage points and side belts are a bit useless in a crash.

You need forward facing seats for 3 point belts.

The Lunar is a good layout and has four seat belts and a fixed bed, low mileage and like new.

This would also tick boxes Rapido 985M Automatic Mercedes Motorhome 2003

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back