Leisure battery Hobby T550fs Transit based (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Now before I start, I know you experienced guys are going to think me a bit of a plonker with this question, however:- I'm not sure where the leisure battery is on the vehicle :Confused:, I have had the van a year, and always assumed it was under the drivers seat swivel. The battery charger is there and fuse box, and there is a battery that I thought to be the leisure battery but on trying to see what type it is, (its a bu**er to see anything under the swivel) I noted it is a Motorcraft 70Ah, so I presume this is the engine battery. I then tried to look under the passenger swivel, but this is even more enclosed than the the drivers side, I was able to squint between the plates of the swivel, and I'm sure there is something there that could be a battery but can't get a good view of it. I presume to remove the seat you need to unscrew the bottom plate of the swivel (seem to be star type bolts) but I'm reluctant to do it as it looks a heck of a job especially if the battery isn't there. Sorry to be so thick, but I am not mechanically minded at all, and I know one of you guys will have the answer.:helpsos:

John

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I have a Transit van conversion, so not exactly the same as yours, but I shall endeavour to give some sort of reply.

Firstly, what year is your vehicle?

Is it the standard Transit cab area, or somehow modified?

Okay, just Googled your model so have a better idea.

Both my batteries are under the drivers seat, but I don't have swivels.

Do you have a battery in the engine compartment?

Last edited:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi John
Have you looked under the bonnet? If there's a battery under there then the one under the seat will be your leisure battery.
Can't be more help as i'm not familiar with your vehicle.

cheers...nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have a Transit van conversion, so not exactly the same as yours, but I shall endeavour to give some sort of reply.

Firstly, what year is your vehicle?

Is it the standard Transit cab area, or somehow modified?

Okay, just Googled your model so have a better idea.

Both my batteries are under the drivers seat, but I don't have swivels.

Do you have a battery in the engine compartment?

Hi, thanks for the reply, the cab area is standard except for swivels, there isn't a battery in the engine bay and I think the original place for the engine battery was under the drivers seat.

John

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi John
Have you looked under the bonnet? If there's a battery under there then the one under the seat will be your leisure battery.
Can't be more help as i'm not familiar with your vehicle.

cheers...nige

Hi nige, no battery in engine bay, I think the original position for the engine battery was under the drivers seat.

cheers John

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Can you slide the seats fully forward/back?

That might help you to see a bit better.

Are there any visible thick-ish wires in or around the passenger seatbox?

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

On the passenger side, no matter how I slide or swivel the seat, I cant see anything, there seems to be another cover under the seat plate, cant see any wires, I will lift the mats and see if there's any wires visible.

cheers John

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

Just been out to the van, under the rubber floor cover in the cab there is a re-enforced ? cable conduit leading from under one seat to the other, that may be the connecting cables.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Just been out to the van, under the rubber floor cover in the cab there is a re-enforced ? cable conduit leading from under one seat to the other, that may be the connecting cables.

I think you may very well have found your leisure battery.

Is there a fault with it?
Losing charge?
What does your Zig unit tell you?

If it ain't broke - fix it till it is........................:roflmto:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
To remove the seats is not hard but awkward.

If both have swivels each is held down by a tork screw at each corner through slider rail to seat box, if these are removed the seats can be lifted off( be very careful as are very heavy) batteries are below a plate.
Mine are both under the drivers seat, but could easily be one under each seat, would check drivers first if split hab battery is under pass seat.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I think you may very well have found your leisure battery.

Is there a fault with it?
Losing charge?
What does your Zig unit tell you?

If it ain't broke - fix it till it is........................:roflmto:

No everything is working fine, I was just wondering what Ah it was as I may be spending a few days with no hookup and wondered if it was up to the job

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
To remove the seats is not hard but awkward.

If both have swivels each is held down by a tork screw at each corner through slider rail to seat box, if these are removed the seats can be lifted off( be very careful as are very heavy) batteries are below a plate.
Mine are both under the drivers seat, but could easily be one under each seat, would check drivers first if split hab battery is under pass seat.

Hi Dave, you've answered my next question, I thought it would be the screws accessed through the hole in the slider, but wasn't sure. The heads of the bolts look a bit chewed, so I hope they come out ok, may leave it for another day when I am feeling braver

John

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Dave, you've answered my next question, I thought it would be the screws accessed through the hole in the slider, but wasn't sure. The heads of the bolts look a bit chewed, so I hope they come out ok, may leave it for another day when I am feeling braver

John

Know what has happened there someone has tried to do the job with Allen key, it don't work very well, might be worth getting replacements then once out you can refit new and job will be easier next time.

Dave :thumb:

gj1023

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
1 week lol
When I wanted to check my leisure battery under the seat. I followed the instructions I read on here. The problem when I looked, was the four bolts were erm bit pick and mix.

One was a Torx , one was a allen bolt screwed into the base. One front one was a 13m bolt with a nut underneath, the other was a allen bolt with a nyloc nut , doh.

Gary

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
When I wanted to check my leisure battery under the seat. I followed the instructions I read on here. The problem when I looked, was the four bolts were erm bit pick and mix.

One was a Torx , one was a allen bolt screwed into the base. One front one was a 13m bolt with a nut underneath, the other was a allen bolt with a nyloc nut , doh.

Gary

Well I tried :Blush: mine aren't.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Luckily I have a set of hex and torx keys that I have never used, bargain from Aldi ! I will give them a try when Ive got someone to give me a hand to lift the seat out, then as Dave says get 4 new bolts to replace them.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Luckily I have a set of hex and torx keys that I have never used, bargain from Aldi ! I will give them a try when Ive got someone to give me a hand to lift the seat out, then as Dave says get 4 new bolts to replace them.

Only if they're NOT made from cheese

GLWT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back