Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Sorry if this has been covered before.

After reading a thread on another forum about a motorhome that got stolen from a garage.

Some insurance companies do not cover you while your motorhome is in the possession of a garage if anything happens to your motorhome you have to make a claim against the garage .

I find this shocking how do we know what insurance a French & German or any other garage have .

Also how many English garages will show you what insurance they have . i will be asking from now on.

Paul & Lynne

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Paul and Lynne, Many years ago this also applied to cars... The garage my car was in burned down overnight and the owner wasn't insured. I had no comback..... so please anybody, don't think it can't happen cos it DOES.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Most garages should have motor trade insurance, which covers 'Any vehicle in their custody or control' - which would cover your vehicle when you drop it off.

The only way they would not be insured, is if they have a maximum limit on the value of a customers' vehicle. Some companies assume that a 'car' will cost no more than 20k - so they are covered up to 20k....no use when you have a motorhome!

It would pay to check how much they are insured for, as if they do not have indemnity against the full value of a motorhome, then they shouldn't really be dealing with them!

I would be very surprised if a garage had such low cover, if they are dealing with motorhomes - as the size would suggest that they are dealing with other large vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
That’s bad movan …………so sorry

I never knew about the above till I read it on another forum , also from what I understand he has to pay for his own legal costs as well …….no help from the ins company.

Paul & Lynne

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Most garages should have motor trade insurance, which covers 'Any vehicle in their custody or control' - which would cover your vehicle when you drop it off.

The only way they would not be insured, is if they have a maximum limit on the value of a customers' vehicle. Some companies assume that a 'car' will cost no more than 20k - so they are covered up to 20k....no use when you have a motorhome!

It would pay to check how much they are insured for, as if they do not have indemnity against the full value of a motorhome, then they shouldn't really be dealing with them!

I would be very surprised if a garage had such low cover, if they are dealing with motorhomes - as the size would suggest that they are dealing with other large vehicles.

Thanx for the info Raibow chasers I agree 99% of garages will have good cover against theft and damage.

How many Garages would tell you if they had no insurance and when you go abroad you have no way of checking.

Paul & Lynne

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In 25 years trading I have been asked once to actually confirm and show my insurance certificate/cover for customers cars prior to this chap leaving his car for repair
he had also suffered a loss at another un insured garage due to fire
his car????
a 1996 Citroen Ax
My policy cost 10 X the value of the car:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But thats not the point
Any garage should be more than willing to show details,mine are pinned up on the wall for all to see
There are many reasons though why even my policy wont pay out
IE stolen from forecourt with keys in the vehicle, who would do that, one may ask. we do many times
a vehicle has to be left running for one reason or another. take your eye off the ball for 10 seconds or answer the phone and it might just disappear:Eeek:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
This never entered my head. We are leaving our MH for a week , whilst it gets reupholstered etc.
I just supposed every company that kept your vehicle for how ever long would be insured to do so.
I feel embarrassed asking them if they are , actually .
But i supposed better to be safe then sorry.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Bev

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Funnyly enough, I always go a stand with my car when having it MOTed, or at least lurk around, partly because I like to watch but also for those moments the engine is left running without supervision.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This never entered my head. We are leaving our MH for a week , whilst it gets reupholstered etc.
I just supposed every company that kept your vehicle for how ever long would be insured to do so.
I feel embarrassed asking them if they are , actually .
But i supposed better to be safe then sorry.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Bev

Hi R & B would it not be a better option to mention it to your own insurers to make sure your own cover applies ? The upholsters may not have motor trade policy.In any case I doubt that the trade policy would cover you contents / gas bottles etc.After all they cover your van in storage.:thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I have just rang my Insurance company to check if I would still be covered if it happened to me and I am.............it pays to check.

Its hard enough to find a good garage to work on your motorhome / car and then check to make sure they have insurance cover lol.

Lynne & Paul

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
HI ALL
Thats funny i read the post on the other motorhome site as well and my insurance was up and my van has been at Brownhills for 2 weeks now so i asked if my van was insuranced at Brownhill i was told yes but only at a main dealer was it insuranced

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ever thought Geo - it might be precisely because he was 10 - 30k out of pocket after the fire, that the poor bloke HAD to drive round in an old AX.

The other thing that MT policies do, is put an overall limit on all customers vehicles. This is very often deliberately underestimated by the garage, on the basis it will cost em more to insure the full value and as we all know, a total loss will never happen to them, will it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back