Morning (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2010
Potton, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hello Everyone

At the moment we are Tugga's, and we want to change to a Motorhome for our retirement (another couple of years before this event!). We are currently contemplating layouts of m/h and we think we know what we want. Length is an issue because of where we will be storing it at the side of our house. It is a tricky business getting our caravan in with the mover so I suspect even trickier for a motorhome but Mick assures me he can do it so long as its not too long.

We only have one dealer near to us (we live in Bedfordshire) and that is Amber Leisure in Hitchin. They are quite small and don't have a lot of 2nd hand stock (we cannot afford new, plus been advised not to buy new, get one a few years old whereby all the problems have been sorted).

Two dealers have been recommended to us, John Cross in Sussex and Camper UK in Lincolnshire. When is a good time to go looking where we may get the best selection to choose from, the spring or the autumn? Currently they both have a Swift Kon-Tiki 660 at the same price but they have different lengths. Has anyone out there got one of these and can they give us any pointers/recommendations :Smile:

Nice to meet you all

Cheryl

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi:thumb:

A good start to my mind is the shows, there are a number throughout the year and as you've got a caravan why not go for the weekend then you can have a good long mooch about?

Don't know about dealers but did you really have to start off with a Johns Cross ego massage:Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Cheryl, welcome to The Fun:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to Fun

going to one of the shows for a weekend is a good idea, loads to see and check out. Pick a show to attend and join the funsters for the weekend then when you cant look at any more vans you can pick funtsers brains about things to look out for and check - it certainly doesnt matter wether you are in a caravan or motorhome as others on here will tell you all are welcome

The good thing about Johns Cross is that they wont feed you a pile of Bull - Peter wouldnt let them

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not the only one on the A20

Hello Everyone

At the moment we are Tugga's, and we want to change to a Motorhome for our retirement (another couple of years before this event!). We are currently contemplating layouts of m/h and we think we know what we want. Length is an issue because of where we will be storing it at the side of our house. It is a tricky business getting our caravan in with the mover so I suspect even trickier for a motorhome but Mick assures me he can do it so long as its not too long.

We only have one dealer near to us (we live in Bedfordshire) and that is Amber Leisure in Hitchin. They are quite small and don't have a lot of 2nd hand stock (we cannot afford new, plus been advised not to buy new, get one a few years old whereby all the problems have been sorted).

Two dealers have been recommended to us, John Cross in Sussex and Camper UK in Lincolnshire. When is a good time to go looking where we may get the best selection to choose from, the spring or the autumn? Currently they both have a Swift Kon-Tiki 660 at the same price but they have different lengths. Has anyone out there got one of these and can they give us any pointers/recommendations :Smile:

Nice to meet you all

Cheryl

While Johns Cross is great (I buy from there shop a lot) they are not the only place selling RV's along the A20 .. you will pass another on the right before you get to them. But if you look in the MMM or similar you will find loads of dealers where you can see motor homes. Also it is a good way of seeing prices. There is of course Ebay... with care that is an option if nothing else other than again to compare prices and spec.

I researched my present motor home for 2 years - well not this one, but the market place and went and looked at various companies selling used Americans. Saw a lot of over priced and poor vehicles. So spending the time is worth it to find the vehicle you want.

But also look generally in the South East as there are a lot of dealers out there.. Peacehaven in Sussex has a big one, A22 at Lower Dicker towards Eastbourn has a large dealership been there many a year.. so plenty in the South East in general.

Good hunting

Bob

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi CherylnMick

Welcome to MH Fun

You have started the right way, looking in plenty of time, and with an idea of what you want. Don't forget your tugging experience, you have already learnt a lot it just needs adjusting.

As said shows are the best places to start looking, the bigger the show the better. If you can visit a show that the Funsters are at join them we don't mind what you come in, you will then have an unbiased set of opinions and will be told what they think of their vans, warts and all

Best of luck I always say the right van will find you, you will know it as soon as you see it.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back