emptying fresh water (1 Viewer)

dom

Free Member
Aug 3, 2010
Funster No
Hi there!
I'm a newbie to motorhoming, and have just bought a 115, i want to drain and refresh the fresh water and not too sure on how to go about it, any help?
thanks!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Very often there is a bung in the bottom of the tank that is removed by putting your hand/arm in through the access hatch in the top of the tank, its possible that the bung can be a straight pull out or have a thread.

Good luck,

Doug...

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to Fun

somewhere there will be a release tap to drop the water but if you put a bit more info on about your motorhome one of our more knowledgeable members could well have the same van and be able to tell you exact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
simplest way is to run all the taps till the tank empties then refill :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Drain the fresh water tank as Doug says, either through your fresh water tank drain point or better still, fill you fresh water tank and add a sanitizor, I use half a cup of ordinary household bleach.

Allow it too settle for an hour or two and then flush your fresh water through your taps and shower etc. This will have the benifit of cleaning your pipes. Keep flushing through until all of the bleach has gone. You can smell and taste it so will know when its all gone.

Repeat if required.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
D

dom

Free Member
Aug 3, 2010
Funster No
draining water

Thanks guys! will try this weekend and let you know!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You mentioned a "115" Dom but not the make. If it Elddis Autoquest or Compass Avantgarde you may find that the outlet is similar to ours on the Autoquest 110 - a hose ending in a tap clipped to the underside of the van.

Graham

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Graham glad you mentioned that hose and didn't want to pinch someone else's thread, but when reversing off the ramps at last meet, my hose was hanging down and I ran over it and the whole thing snapped off.

I can't see where it should join the van at the top end of it without lying under the van completely or paying out more money at a garage.

If I don't put it back on yet, will the water just run out or could I have damaged something where it joins the van? Know I will have to put water down sink and see, but is it possible it will be running into van lining or something please.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Has it snapped off Joy or simply pulled off from the tank?

On our van both fresh water and grey water tanks have a stub onto which the hose is pushed and held in place with a Jubilee clip (may need some PTFE tape winding round the stub to make a good seal). Both outlets are below floor level so no chance of water running anywhere other than onto the ground.

I've replaced both hoses on our van and it is a fairly simple job but does mean lying on your back beside/slightly under the van (no need to get right under).

Replacement hose is available by the metre from caravan spares shops. It's easily cut to the right length with a hacksaw if you need to shorten it.

The only problem I encountered was replacing the tap. I couldn't find a tap like the original for love nor money but found that a garden water butt tap (which I obtained from Wilkinsons) does the job.

If it's your grey waste hose that's come off you could simply put a bucket underneath to catch the water until it's replaced. If it's the fresh water hose that's come off you need to replace before using the van again because otherwise you won't be able to fill up with fresh water.

Graham

In Edit:
Forgot to say that the hose is 28.5 mm diamater and there should be a sealing sleeve at each end (those also obtainable from caravan shops).

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Graham ... thank you for that. You are soooooooooo right. I can't find a bloomin tap to fit the end anywhere... they are all the wrong size. It looks like it snapped off at the van end but I ran over it..:Sad: so it is cracked. The tap fell off when I went over a bump beforehand..:Sad:

Thank you.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Graham glad you mentioned that hose and didn't want to pinch someone else's thread, but when reversing off the ramps at last meet, my hose was hanging down and I ran over it and the whole thing snapped off.

:Sad:

Is this some kind of 'meet' tradition, because didn't you stress-test your external LED lights at the previous one by bouncing them down the road when you left? :RollEyes:

In case these things happen in threes.....may I suggest that all the Funsters do a pre-launch check of your van when you depart from Malvern? :roflmto:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Is this the tap someone is looking for? I believe without the back nut, it fits directly into the waste pipe.

Link Removed

danmac54

Free Member
Aug 3, 2010
Funster No
draining water system

:ROFLMAO:
Hi there!
I'm a newbie to motorhoming, and have just bought a 115, i want to drain and refresh the fresh water and not too sure on how to go about it, any help?
thanks!

winterhill

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Ambleside & Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2008
Hi Graham ... thank you for that. You are soooooooooo right. I can't find a bloomin tap to fit the end anywhere... they are all the wrong size. It looks like it snapped off at the van end but I ran over it..:Sad: so it is cracked. The tap fell off when I went over a bump beforehand..:Sad:

Thank you.

Ours did the same... but we managed to pick up a new tap from Todds at about £6.00

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back