Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have the usual A & E awning on my Winnebago Aspect with the arms up against the side of the coach bodywork.

I have owned American RV's for over 20 years so I have used the A & E on different units. However for the first time this past weekend I decided to lift the arm off the the body bracket and stand it upright at the edge of the rolled out fabric arm. I had first set it up as if it was attached to the arms on the body then up cliped the leg support and walked it out to line up with the extended roll down part... follow me? hope so .. reading this I am lost... however. When the legs were at the corners I felt the fabric was a lot less taunt than when on the arms being lowered. I use a double set of flappers each side to keep the fabric pulled out. How do I get it taunt with the legs out rather than attached to the body. The side out bars have to have the circle nut tightened up when you lower the body of the awning before you slide the arm up to lock it in place, so I do not know should I undo them (the circle nuts) and pull the strap down so the fabric pole is out further, though it seems to be out as far as I can get it? or is it a case of setting the legs higher .. I have it up a fair height to save the door rubbing on the fabric in anycase? Any views?

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
On the rare occasions we unclip ours we find that we have to retension via the side arm so just loosen the screw knob and pull that little bit more.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As Maggie said, though I've never (I'd say we but this is one of my jobs:Doh:) taken the arms off the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive had mine up once, every other time the fabric loosens and sags. The slidy bits should be loose or they will snap.

The only reason that I can see for having the slidy bits is so that the arm can be clipped to the side of the van.
Jm
:Smile:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the A & E awning posts

On the rare occasions we unclip ours we find that we have to retension via the side arm so just loosen the screw knob and pull that little bit more.

Seems I was on the right tracks. I was not to sure about taking them off the side of the body, but it saves ducking under them. I use a power buggy and I have been know to get tangled up on one of the arms. I was loading water from a 5 gallon container wedged on the floor of the buggy with the pump connected to the outside entertainment locker 12v jack and forgot to turn the buggy off at the key, caught the forward lever with the hose and ended up on the tipover wheels like a rearing horse.. the front of the buggy was on the awning arm resting the fall weight and me as well.. now that is a lot of weight combined.. took the weight OK. Not recommended. But I still set it up in the normal way.. but had to have a go and see what it looked like and how easy it was to do it. Comes out more of a flat roof than a angled roof. But thanks for letting have your views. If and I say if I try again I will try tentioning the arms as suggested.

Bob

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

When I open my awning I...

1. Pull the awning out with the awning strap.
  2. Slide the tension arms up the main legs until they click
  3. Extend the tension arm (by pulling out using body weight) and tighten locking handle whilst holding extra tension.

This gives me a bit tighter fabric whether I then remove awning legs from van or not.

Not trying to teach anyone anything, just my method. ::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
You are correct bryan in your method, and is what we do, although i do find that we usually have to tension it a bit more but that could be because im mrs no muscles :Blush: darent let the other half loose on it he would stretch it that far the material would be comming off the van.

I am curious about your method though jim, what stops it from jumping around in the wind and poss snapping back on itself, i take it you dont push the side bars up the the clip point on the main strut then if you leave them loose

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
slide clips

You are correct bryan in your method, and is what we do, although i do find that we usually have to tension it a bit more but that could be because im mrs no muscles :Blush: darent let the other half loose on it he would stretch it that far the material would be comming off the van.

I am curious about your method though jim, what stops it from jumping around in the wind and poss snapping back on itself, i take it you dont push the side bars up the the clip point on the main strut then if you leave them loose

I have to slide my bars up to the end near the roller and they then click into place so they are the stress bar. If you do not tighten up the knobs on the slide bar the roller could retract if the activation bat on the front edge of the roller is knocked? I also use tie down strap over the awning fabric at the top of the roller area.

I have certainly always used the knobs to keep it taunton on all my RV's - never had a problem. If the wind looks bad I either put on extra ropes or take it in as needed.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Bob

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Couple of things, I'm dieing to know if Jim realised the arms actually need to be slid up to the top of the main arm and lock in place, I mean who could miss such an obvious thing :Blush: twice:ROFLMAO:, felt such a fool, wouldn't mind I had the awning up at a show and no one said owt, just realised whilst playing:Doh:

Anyway, I digress, awning tie down, I'm always concerned by the idea of the strap being over the fabric so my method, right or wrong, is under the fabric along the roller and over the very top of the main arms and of to the ground, like I say right or wrong I'm happier that the fabric is not under undue tension.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I will have to try that

Couple of things, I'm dieing to know if Jim realised the arms actually need to be slid up to the top of the main arm and lock in place, I mean who could miss such an obvious thing :Blush: twice:ROFLMAO:, felt such a fool, wouldn't mind I had the awning up at a show and no one said owt, just realised whilst playing:Doh:

Anyway, I digress, awning tie down, I'm always concerned by the idea of the strap being over the fabric so my method, right or wrong, is under the fabric along the roller and over the very top of the main arms and of to the ground, like I say right or wrong I'm happier that the fabric is not under undue tension.

I must admit I do have to be careful of the fact that the little release bar can get caught if you go over the roller, but I thought it would spread the load if it runs over the arms. There does not seem to be any pressure on the canvas at the edges.
I also use the slide in doube awning rail adapters so I can hang lights with the slide in tabs and hooks and the otgher one takes my wind shade.. have to have a look at Malvern and see if it will work.

But thanks for the idea, had not thought about that way of doing it.

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I must admit I do have to be careful of the fact that the little release bar can get caught if you go over the roller, but I thought it would spread the load if it runs over the arms. There does not seem to be any pressure on the canvas at the edges.
I also use the slide in doube awning rail adapters so I can hang lights with the slide in tabs and hooks and the otgher one takes my wind shade.. have to have a look at Malvern and see if it will work.

But thanks for the idea, had not thought about that way of doing it.

Bob

we have the de-flappers and use 2 of those small rachet straps you can buy around the roller at each end of the material if windy, just wrap round and attach with 's' hook then after attaching to ground peg tighten suitably. You can buy them for about £15 a pair with the piping and elastic at one end if you want to be posh that you slip into the channel, ours cost something like £2.50 for the pair

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Well this could be another thing to look out for at a meet. I actually like the awning clipped to the van but now i need to know, argggggggggggg.

Never had problems in the past, maybe I'm just thick.

Jim

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
getting grief to put the legs out

Well this could be another thing to look out for at a meet. I actually like the awning clipped to the van but now i need to know, argggggggggggg.

Never had problems in the past, maybe I'm just thick.

Jim

The boss is giving me grief to put the legs out this weekend at Malvern. May try it. All depends on the weather. I have used the straps and on occassions even an extra rope to the front to make sure it is secure if the wind picks up. I use two flappers each side which helps when it is attached to the side of the RV.

I have noticed that ..(I think) Fiamma do a tie down that slides in to the awning bar where the pull down cord is attached so an awning can be held down directly in line with the roller part?

I must admit I purchased in San Diego - camping world - the side in double plastic units so the awning slide now is double in size so I can put a slide in screen (from those people that sell them at the shows.. they work) and also put in slide in clips for lights etc., so not to sure if it would be strong enough to allow a slide in to the awning rail of a Fiamma item. But I am still looking at the issue.

Putting the legs out means I have to pin the legs down to the ground and that unit at the end of the legs is plastic and would hate to smash that when the hammer is used to drive pins into the ground.

But we will see.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a spare leg clip now

Putting the legs out means I have to pin the legs down to the ground and that unit at the end of the legs is plastic and would hate to smash that when the hammer is used to drive pins into the ground.

But we will see.

Bob

UPDATE
Yesterday I won on ebay a spare awning leg end for £3.30 plus postage.. so I can now take a risk and pin it out if I have to... but to be honest I think it looks better on the side of the van..a real yank.. not like the ones you see on the European / British vans which get wound out using a little handle. The A& E is meaty and often stays out in the wind when other run to take them in. With wind flappers you do not need to tilt them to make the rain run off.. they are a great bit of gear. A&E are the best as far as I am concerned. Had them on several RV's.

Bob:Eeek:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Hi Dodgy

No I didnt know that the slide bars have to be pushed up to the top and locked into position.

I'm dying to try it out the next time the awning comes out. We need some sunshine first.

As I said I never take the awning off the side of the van anyway, it allows to much late afternoon sunshine to play on the side of the van.

The reason that I say dont lock the slide bar is that it does exactley what it says on the tin.

It locks the main arms allowing stress on the rest of the sructure when the wind gets up.

When left unlocked there is freedom for the slide bar to move up and down with the wind leaving the main structure stress free.

Ive left two posts on the forum at various times expouding my theory that the individual who designed these awnings was on drugs :whatthe:

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Jim, don't know about the designer on drugs, I quite like the design, simple and strudy, OK entertaining when retracting if you get half way and realise you've left the wand out of reach but.....:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding, once I had it (as said used twice before I realised the locking bit) is that it os designed to be locked and not loose, as loose and 'bouncing' would do more damage to the mountings than stable? We need a clever person:ROFLMAO:

As to the Euro (Fiamma type ), I actually like them, we fitted one to the old Dodge when the yank one completely failed, and bar a minor adjustment after the first few uses it was simplicity itself. I did, mind you, have the mountings on the side of the van and like the A&E Yank one, always attached the legs to the van and never the floor. My logic being it became one complete structur if you like rather the 'hinged' in the middle, probably rubbish again, where is that clever person:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back