Hymer B564 Control Panel Battery 1 Low? (1 Viewer)

Rayb

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Funster No
Dear forum,
This may seem like a bit of a dumb question but I have a hymer B564 1996 and after a week wild camping the needle and backlight on the electrical component display panel over the door seems to be indicating that there is no charge coming from battery no.1. I assume this is the van battery (the starter battery). This is a gradual decrease in charge as represented by a dulling of the display over time with the needle dropping proportionally. When i check the battery with a multimeter it gives a good output of approx. 12.5 as does battery2 (leisure in floor compartment). When plugged into a mains supply the display shows 'full charge'. I am suspicious of the starter battery as i have a lot of rust water dripping from under the right hand section of the engine compartment following rain showers and think the battery acid may be leaking and causing excess corrosion in that area. I do not have starting problems as yet?
Any thoughts
Regards
Rayb

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
first establish what the batteries actually read without being connected to the mains or engine running (remember to allow 1 hour for level to settle after switching off the mains) then using a multimeter measure the batteries one at a time. also remember if you have a solar panel it will be charging during the day and affect readings so measure after dark

OP
OP
R

Rayb

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for that Wildman,
Battery 1 reads approx 12.5 using a multimeter when van is not connected to mains and when van engine is not running. The panel in the van shows no charge at this same time of measurement..... puzzling. No Solar panel.
Cheers
Rayb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
does the panel show amps or volts, i.e. is it showing the charge rate which would be nil with no engine or mains.
How long have you had the problem, or is it a new van to you.
12.5V with no load on the battery is nowhere near fully charged. It should be reading around 13.8. could be the battery is on its way out, need charging, need topping up or is it sealed.

OP
OP
R

Rayb

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Funster No
BAttery 1 probs

Thanks wildman,
I have had the van for over a year. The display is in volts and it was giving satisfactory charge (i.e. green region of display) up until i spent a week wildcamping at start of summer. It was giving approx 12V according to the display up until then. Battery 2 was and still is giving approx 12V. These scales are fairly inaccurate, I think, as the water level indicator is pretty inaccurate in reflecting the actual water in the tank. Battery 1 at present is giving 0 volts and the backlight does not come on at all when the rocker switch is pressed. I guess the next step will be changing battery. If the multimeter is reading approx 12.5ish for the leisure battery (battery2) does that mean it's also on the way out?
cheers
Rayb

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sounds to me like the rocker switch is not actually switching to the second position. and will maybe need switch lubricant or replacing

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
sounds to me like the rocker switch is not actually switching to the second position. and will maybe need switch lubricant or replacing

The Panel in my Hymer S700 (1992) also only shows 12.5v when in position for Battery 1 (Starter) even after a long run and Battery 2 (Leisure). When the Gasparini Energy 20 LPG generator charges battery 2 to capacity and cuts off at 14.5v it still only shows 13.5v

It sounds like a switch problem if Battery 2 is showing a reading on the gauge.

John

OP
OP
R

Rayb

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Funster No
Re Hymer electrical components display panel

Dear All,
Thanks for the replies. Not sure what to do next but i think i should try a new battery, even if only to determine whether my rust problem is related to a 'leaky' battery. My driveway is turning orange as we speak . I'll update this thread when i have the new battery in situ for a couple of weeks.
kind regards
Rayb

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Thanks wildman,
I have had the van for over a year. The display is in volts and it was giving satisfactory charge (i.e. green region of display) up until i spent a week wildcamping at start of summer. It was giving approx 12V according to the display up until then. Battery 2 was and still is giving approx 12V. These scales are fairly inaccurate, I think, as the water level indicator is pretty inaccurate in reflecting the actual water in the tank. Battery 1 at present is giving 0 volts and the backlight does not come on at all when the rocker switch is pressed. I guess the next step will be changing battery. If the multimeter is reading approx 12.5ish for the leisure battery (battery2) does that mean it's also on the way out?
cheers
Rayb

Hi Rayb,
I know (and apologise for sidetracking) that this post will not help your problem, but thought it might be of use to mention something that you may not know.
The water level meter on you control panel is a 'reasonably' accurate piece of equipment (not professional electrician level by any stretch, admittedly). It will no doubt have the same sort of level of accuracy as the battery meter and will equate to a DIY multimeter that you can buy for, say, £10 to £15. Why it is so inacurrate with your water level is down entirely to the sensor device. I have reproduced a sketch which will show somewhat diagrammatically (and decidedly crudely:Blush:) how it works. You may already know this, but if you don't all information is useful.:thumb:

John

Attachments

• Water level.jpg
    Water level.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
R

Rayb

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Funster No
Yes I had previous knowledge of the water level mechanism, as the very nice man who i bought the van off went to great lengths to explain its perculiarities. :Blush: I unfortunately misjudged it a couple of times and ended up with a very wet floor. My wife now calls me - Phil Itumuch! :ROFLMAO:. I think a visual inspection is mandatory when filling up.
many thanks for the diagram, I'll show it to my comediene darling missus.
Ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back