Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I took Winnie for here MOT yesterday, I was really worried as the previous owner had removed the advisory part from the MOT that was attached when we bought her.
I need not have worried though, she passed with flying colours::bigsmile:
And the best part, they only charged me £40. Happy days.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
You can always view any advisory issued with the last MOT online on the VOSA website. You can also view any items that the vehicle failed on and were repaired.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10020539
Check the MOT history of a vehicle

To find out details of previous MOT tests on a vehicle you can do an online MOT history check.
You can only look up information online going back to 2005 when the MOT Scheme was computerised.
The MOT history check will give you the following information:
  • full test details
  • mileage at the time of each test

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That was cheap

I took Winnie for here MOT yesterday, I was really worried as the previous owner had removed the advisory part from the MOT that was attached when we bought her.
I need not have worried though, she passed with flying colours::bigsmile:
And the best part, they only charged me £40. Happy days.

I had a pre MOT done by the comercial repair company I use (they run a fleet of American breakdown trucks in Kent and are main repair place for Renault trucks.. that cost me £85.00 and the MOT the next day cost £55 at the MOT station at a Mercedes repair place in Eastbourne.

The Kent company found on end of my steering track arm bush was worn (13k miles) but packed it with greese and then ordered in the new part for me (took 8 weeks and cost £250 all in including fitting). I was lucky the tester was used to American RV's and immediatly looked at the hand brake/foot brake and set that up in the computer and from there on we went through the test.

Noted I had to remove all the items sitting on the dash such as the leads to the sat nav traffic system plus a numb er plate I have up high above the interior mirro that has the words on it TOWING. I was told now everything on the screen has to be clear including back up camera. I am lucky my pioneer has the head below the dash line so I was OK. But I have heard of failures for the satnavs on the dash.

Was not a lot different from a car MOT other than the revs had to be held higher and longer for 5.5 tons.

I was concerned over the head lights, but they just dip up and down rather than side to side, but iot passed on the machine OK.

The company I use to do the big work for me (as it has a comercial pit) and every kind of tools you can think of as they work on buses, coaches and trucks plus there own 9 peterbilts / western star and Kenworths told me that normal trucks always have a pre MOT as if they fail at a test station it effects there oporators licence. So they always do it and then the vehicle is taken in for the real test next day. Over kill, but I was sure the RV would get through the test as the company that works on it for me ... i.,e fitted the air suspenstion kits I had flown in from the USA. Plus a other under the vehicle type work .. has a lot of experiance and that is good, plus they are only 15 miles away. General work and that not requiring a lift or pit is done by a garage that works on everything from a tractor to milk floats and cars that has done work for me for 14 years now and is also a MOT station... normally change the oil, antifreeze, that sort of thing. Boost the seat height etc., Change the generator oil.

Anyway glad it passed the MOT OK... it is always a worry.

Bob

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It was recently reported that this government are looking at the frequency of MOTs.
Every 2 years ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
The place I use, used to be a bus/truck mot station, so it has all the pits etc. The chap said he also gets a 40 footer RV in ?? I have to say I didn't believe him as I scraped my towbar on the road at the entrance due to the huge camber, and with all the cars they currently have on the forcourt they would never get it to turn over the pit. Even so he seemed to know his onions, and by the sound of things £40 was a bargain.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It was recently reported that this government are looking at the frequency of MOTs.
Every 2 years ???

I wonder why they would do that ?. Do you reckon that would be a good or a bad thing ?.

To the original OP, well done another 12 months of peace of mind

Jim

:Smile:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When ours is due its MOT i shall take it to our local council depot, Newton Bar in Wakefield.:thumb:
We took the Terrano. It was only £35.
Cos I'm a volunteer for the Youth Offending Team in Wakefield, i get a further discount. Making it even cheaper .
The man said it was no problem doing the MH , though obviously we'd have to have the Hab check else where.
Bev

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have a VOSA Station across the road from where I work but I cant get a service done there and they dont carry out remedial work if it fails.

There isnt anybody local and so I have to take it to a trusted garage/mh Dealer in Coventry. It s real pain in the bum but I get a good job done and have ride out.

Jim

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a VOSA Station across the road from where I work but I cant get a service done there and they dont carry out remedial work if it fails.

and that aint a bad thing Jim.

no vested interest in 'failing' an item which would normally pass as they arent looking for income from remedial work.

the ministry testers are no different to any other MOT testers....they still use their own judgement (within reason) as to what constitutes a fail or pass.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I wonder why they would do that ?. Do you reckon that would be a good or a bad thing ?.

To the original OP, well done another 12 months of peace of mind

Jim

Although a bit nervous every 12 months, I think its a reasonable period and should stay the same, it gives peace of mind
Larry

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
and that aint a bad thing Jim.

no vested interest in 'failing' an item which would normally pass as they arent looking for income from remedial work.

the ministry testers are no different to any other MOT testers....they still use their own judgement (within reason) as to what constitutes a fail or pass.:thumb:

Exactly Pappa, thats why we use them:thumb:
Also theres a garage round the corner , which we could use to fix a problem with the cab.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back