No more hook ups for us then ! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last time we went on a hook up was weeks ago

At Prestwold we bought a pair of 110a batteries and another, bigger, solar panel to go with the other one I fitted after Newark

After 3 days we still had the same battery levels as when we started.

We watched TV for about 2 or 3 hours in the evenings using the sat system ( to be fair to us, we sort of have it on while we play gammon or cards or some such )..
Amazingly, the biggest drain I saw was when ever the pump was used !

We intend to be keeping this van for a while ( with any luck ! ) and going on sites with no hook up saves anything from 2 to £6 per night.
We are away more weekend of the year than at home so I reckon ( again with any luck ! ) after about 5 or 6 years we will have paid for the posh batteries and the solar panels ( sold on the old panel and batteries as they were fitted FOC last year when we bough this van )

Of course there is also the point that we can wild camp for weeks at a time if we wanted to with a good confidence level :thumb:

Solar panels rule ! :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have not had hookup for over 4 years on the RV and that is sited in the summer down in Wales at £100 a month,so must have saved a fotune by now.Solar and a good battery bank is definatly the way to go...no noise probs with gennys either.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. forgot that !
Dumped out the genny and the fuel I had to carry too, so another saving there with less weight to carry around !:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. at least it will be if the Flange valve does not 'let go' again in mid jump :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes its a great feeling to be self sufficient with Solar. We have 4 x 110 batts and 2 gert big panels. In the summer we generate and store much more power than we need. In the winter though its a different story. In the RV for heat we have a stupid system that depends on big 12volt electric battery beating fans to deliver the heat from the furnace. Couple this need with the lack of light in winter for the panels = generator:Sad: But its not all bad, its a Honda:Smile:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had solar fitted by Detroit Solar a few years ago - got an 80w and a 60w. Only been on EHU once in 3 1/2 years and that was over the New Year where EHU was free!!! I normally change the batteries every 2 years or so - I give the old ones to a friend who is a farmer to use on his electric fences.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I normally change the batteries every 2 years or so.

The cost of the solar panels and batteries is probably far more than most people spend on hook-ups so the system cannot be justified on cost - only on independence.

I'm not against solar power - I am for it (I have the biggest panel I could fit and 2 x 110 Ahr batteries) all I want to do is get the record straight.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes its a great feeling to be self sufficient with Solar. We have 4 x 110 batts and 2 gert big panels. In the summer we generate and store much more power than we need. In the winter though its a different story. In the RV for heat we have a stupid system that depends on big 12volt electric battery beating fans to deliver the heat from the furnace. Couple this need with the lack of light in winter for the panels = generator:Sad: But its not all bad, its a Honda:Smile:
Used to have same problem Jim until I fitted a small catalitic gas fire.
This gives background heat without using hardly any gas,so the big 12volt guzeling fan doesnt come on so much.Problem solved very cheaply.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
my panels were due to go on last week, going to need em now i have no genny:winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The cost of the solar panels and batteries is probably far more than most people spend on hook-ups so the system cannot be justified on cost - only on independence.

I'm not against solar power - I am for it (I have the biggest panel I could fit and 2 x 110 Ahr batteries) all I want to do is get the record straight.

Although we bought our large solar panel , fixed to the roof , we were very lucky to be given 2 Trojan batteries. They are realy good. Very quick to charge.
We've saved a fortune not having to rely on going to sites with hook ups . There are 5 of us and 2 dogs , what with charging for even wind out awnings and wind breakers these days , commercial site prices soon add up. £30 + a night compared to a £6/8 CCC or CL site.
We sold our 2 kw Honda through lack of use and bought a 1kw Honda to replace it. We haven't had to use it once this year , yet . Touch wood:winky:
We shall see what the winter brings, with the grotty weather and dark nights. But even if the diesel heating drains the batteries , a quick run to the shops or next place of choice tops them up.
Bev

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Is there any reason against ditching the usual set up of X times 110ah batterys
and fitting say 3 or 4 230-260ah batterys if the space is available ? This would surely treble or quadrupule the available stored power and cheaper than a solar panel, as we only do long weekends am I right in thinking this would last us as batterys would be charged after the drive to site and then recharged on the way home ?
Cheers
Dave

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I think you'd have to do some calculations to see if your alternator would cope with charging that amount of batteries.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Used to have same problem Jim until I fitted a small catalytic gas fire.
This gives background heat without using hardly any gas,so the big 12volt guzeling fan doesnt come on so much.Problem solved very cheaply.:thumb:

You must be careful when using heater that emit heat radiantly is that they must be kept a good distance from other objects otherwise these objects may get far too hot and catch fire. This is a common cause of household fires. In the smaller confines of a motorhome the danger is even greater

Panel heater or oil filled radiators are much safer.

Do these heater vent externally or do they fill the MH with noxious products?

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Is there any reason against ditching the usual set up of X times 110ah batteries
and fitting say 3 or 4 230-260ah batteries if the space is available ? This would surely treble or quadruple the available stored power and cheaper than a solar panel, as we only do long weekends am I right in thinking this would last us as batteries would be charged after the drive to site and then recharged on the way home ?
Cheers
Dave

Many of us would not have the necessary payload to carry several heavy batteries and solar panels as well as everything else.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You must be careful when using heater that emit heat radiantly is that they must be kept a good distance from other objects otherwise these objects may get far too hot and catch fire. This is a common cause of household fires. In the smaller confines of a motorhome the danger is even greater

Panel heater or oil filled radiators are much safer.

Do these heater vent externally or do they fill the MH with noxious products?
Its the same one that is fitted to caravans...motorhomes all over Europe,vented through the roof...if it sets fire to somthing in my Tiffin they will have to take them out of all other European MHs becouse they are MUCH more confined.Wouldnt dream of putting my old Tiffin in danger.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Is there any reason against ditching the usual set up of X times 110ah batterys
and fitting say 3 or 4 230-260ah batterys if the space is available ? This would surely treble or quadrupule the available stored power and cheaper than a solar panel, as we only do long weekends am I right in thinking this would last us as batterys would be charged after the drive to site and then recharged on the way home ?
Cheers
Dave

It would depend on how low the batteries get in use and how far the drive is home afterwards

remeber if you drain the power too low they will need a trickle charge as the alltinator will not charge them
but in theory your right :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back