Dec 4, 2009
chester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 years
Hi All

Were off on our first trip to France on Sunday in our auto-trail arapaho, And just finding out how much thing's change once you have gone over 3.5 ton, We have all the bit's and bob's for the motorhome, Hi vis jacket's paperwork and the rest but we don't know if there is any restriction's on what food you can take with you.
Can anyone help
Thank's Al:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi

No restrictions

But having spent eight weeks out there this spring our recommendation would be to take as much as possible as it appeared to be around a third more expensive out there.

If you happen to be tea drinkers then a supply of your favourite leaves is essential.

Washing up liquids etc are somewhat more expensive, but do not let us put you off shopping over there is fun and the quality of fresh food is exceptional

Get out there and ENJOY

Lynda and Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
Hi no restrictions that we have found but take some t-bags if you like your morning cuppa and though i love the french cheeses my husband is not so keen so i always take some cheddar for him but sure you will find the food over there far superior to ours such as fresh fruit,salad,veg and look for offers at the supermarkets on meat lovely selection and on par with price just go and enjoy i am sure you will return most of us do tc stay safe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
no restrictions I agree with all above.......salad/veg /meat fantastic quality if a little expensive, but hey ho your on holiday. I would only add part baked bread lovely still hot with your continental breakfast.
have a great time::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You MUST take......

Tea bags
marmite
baked beans (Heinz or Branston)
bacon (put in freezer)
HP sauce
Cheddar cheese (the French love it once they have tried it !)
Branston pickle
Heinz tomato sauce
Famous Grouse whisky
Marmalade

I think that might cover it, but others are bound to come up with more suggestions !
I should add that most of the above can be obtained in the supermarkets , but with a massive mark up !! The best place to buy stuff is generally in the indoor markets, they are in most towns and villages !! :thumb:

OP
OP
S

sloth

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
chester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 years
Thank's everyone will be stocking up sunday morning teabags a must,
see you soon
Happy motoring
Al

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Apart from Cheddar, cream crackers, teabags, instant coffee (we're fussy on brand given the choice, so take our own!) cooking salt, all table condiments, esp malt vinegar and English Mustard, Bisto, red/brown & mint sauce LOL the utterly essential thing in our cupboard is what my dear husband has always called a lazy tart's tea.

:ROFLMAO:

This comprises one tin of spuds, one tin of peas or carrots and one tin of stewed steak. Eventually we land up eating same before the tin of meat goes out of date, LOL But it does mean that if really completely stumped, you will always have some sort of a meal.

I actually like to take a rich fruit cake - they are not good at fruit cake, the French, and we are pretty addicted to it! And digestive biscuits (have to be McVities though, you can stick anyone else's!).

Now virtually all these things you can get or can prolly get in France including Heinz beans - but if you like Daddies and can only get HP or vice versa, or can't stand Tbags with a string on em LOL - and all these things are a lot more money than we pay for em here.

However, I have never discovered anything like cream crackers or water biscuits, nor English mustard, nor Bisto nor malt vinegar and they don't seem to do any sweet biscuits I actually like very much - all seem mega sweet to me? But we've found this out after many many years, really you should just go and see what you like and what you don't, what you miss and what you don't and work out your own 'essentials' !

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
We always take
Tinned pies
savory:ROFLMAO: rice
tinned mince beef and onion
super noodles
clover
fat for the chip pan ie beef dripping
coffee mate
wet wipes cheaper here
oxos

Do not take or eat bananas mozzies will love you if you do
when everything is used up drive home at a hundred mile and hour for a Warburtons loaf:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How the French see us ?

How do you think this question would be answered on a French forum ?

Aucune restriction, mais prendre

Baguettes, pains Colombie est de la merde, ils en vendent enveloppé, avec une durée de vie 7 jours

Café, vous pouvez l'obtenir, mais ils boivent beaucoup d'instantanés et de haricot coûte cher

Brie, ils mangent ce fromage cheddar dur appelé, pour la plupart fabriqués dans des usines, des choses horribles.

Wine .. bon vin français est cher, donc s'approvisionner

L'eau .. Vous ne pouvez pas boire l'eau du robinet, il pourrit les dents et mis en bouteille coûte cher

Pain grillé .. qu'ils ont ces friable sec pense appelé craquelins

Chocolat .. Ils l'ont, mais ce n'est vraiment chocolat au lait aromatisé

Lait. Prendre en poudre, lait au Royaume-Uni est tout juste bon pour les bovins

No restrictions, but take

Baguettes, British bread is crap, they sell it wrapped, with a 7 day shelf life

Coffee, you can get it but they drink a lot of instant and bean is expensive

Brie , they eat this hard cheese called Cheddar, mostly made in factories, horrid stuff.

Wine ..good French wine is expensive, so stock up

Water.. You can't drink the tap water, it rots your teeth and bottled is expensive

Toasted bread .. they have these dry crumbly things called crackers

Chocolate.. They have it, but it's only chocolate flavoured milk

Milk. Take powdered , UK milk is only fit for cattle

and so it goes on...:roflmto:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just take enough of what you want for the first day or so and then eat what the french eat, plenty of crepe suzette , mmmmmmmmmmm !!!! and Mussells, mmmmmmmmm !!!!! and salads, mmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!

Its all to much.

Jim
:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just take enough of what you want for the first day or so and then eat what the french eat, plenty of crepe suzette , mmmmmmmmmmm !!!! and Mussells, mmmmmmmmm !!!!! and salads, mmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!

Its all to much.

Jim

exactly my point ... French food is far superior..

why go to France and tote half of Tesco's with you.. would be cheaper and easier to park at your local supermarket for two weeks :RollEyes:

Shopping and discovering French cuisine is part of the adventure.. :thumb:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We go to France every year and the main thing we look forward to is the French food (and wine!). Look out for local markets in small towns for locally grown and produced fresh food. Market stall holders are often very entertaining and will give you tasters of their produce. We tend not to eat out as it is very expensive but as the local food is so good we just barbecue every night. If you are using sites you may find that they do cooked food at a reasonable price and often reduced bar prices too. Enjoy! It's wonderful as long as you don't expect it to be Britain. :winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Take what you like

Hi All

Were off on our first trip to France on Sunday in our auto-trail arapaho, And just finding out how much thing's change once you have gone over 3.5 ton, We have all the bit's and bob's for the motorhome, Hi vis jacket's paperwork and the rest but we don't know if there is any restriction's on what food you can take with you.
Can anyone help
Thank's Al:thumb:

Food in France is expensive as you will find out. The meat seems better, but it costs a lot more. Look for the supermarkets, but it still is more than the UK price. We take a cool box on top of a masive fridge and freezer in the winnebago to save buying a lot of local expensive items. Bacon was not as nice as in the UK and what was available is expensive. Dog food expensive. Wine? well some good deals but again not always. Milk seemed to be mainly long life type, but that tasted not to bad compaired with what we get in the UK. We found the camp site shops were not to bad price wise compared with the local shops which was a suprise.

Enjoy the local food, but take the main items you need with you if you can.

Have a good trip.::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I must be a bit strange but I think French food is overrated. Give me Spanish or Italian any day.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I must be a bit strange but I think French food is overrated. Give me Spanish or Italian any day.

Yep, I love Spanish grub, Ive never been to Italy and so I have only eaten Italian food in this country which is also delicious.
Jim

Edit: Mind you Ive never been to China but I love a good Chinese.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Stop! Stop! Er'indoors is complaining as I've dribbled over 2 T shirts already reading these posts..

Cydersyd.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
How do you think this question would be answered on a French forum ?

Aucune restriction, mais prendre

Baguettes, pains Colombie est de la merde, ils en vendent enveloppé, avec une durée de vie 7 jours

Café, vous pouvez l'obtenir, mais ils boivent beaucoup d'instantanés et de haricot coûte cher

Brie, ils mangent ce fromage cheddar dur appelé, pour la plupart fabriqués dans des usines, des choses horribles.

Wine .. bon vin français est cher, donc s'approvisionner

L'eau .. Vous ne pouvez pas boire l'eau du robinet, il pourrit les dents et mis en bouteille coûte cher

Pain grillé .. qu'ils ont ces friable sec pense appelé craquelins

Chocolat .. Ils l'ont, mais ce n'est vraiment chocolat au lait aromatisé

Lait. Prendre en poudre, lait au Royaume-Uni est tout juste bon pour les bovins

No restrictions, but take

Baguettes, British bread is crap, they sell it wrapped, with a 7 day shelf life

Coffee, you can get it but they drink a lot of instant and bean is expensive

Brie , they eat this hard cheese called Cheddar, mostly made in factories, horrid stuff.

Wine ..good French wine is expensive, so stock up

Water.. You can't drink the tap water, it rots your teeth and bottled is expensive

Toasted bread .. they have these dry crumbly things called crackers

Chocolate.. They have it, but it's only chocolate flavoured milk

Milk. Take powdered , UK milk is only fit for cattle

and so it goes on...:roflmto:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that was a good one Jim, probably the average answers of standart frog! Not being very adventurers! Can't recognize myself in that description though (i'm far too exceptionnal to give that kind of
answers :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:).

I would say exactly what you just said Jim: why going to visit a country if you don't give a try, you won't be starving and will always find a good pizza if feeling poorly!!
Take your tea bags so you are sure to survive and ..... that's about all. You might not find your favorite meals but you will discover new ones and maybe you'll be addicted to them afterwards..... surprise surprise.... HAVE FUN!!!!:Cool::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back