How much water do you use? (1 Viewer)

jg147

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
new
Whilst answering a question about seperate showers I realised just how much water we get through, is it normal?

3 of us easily use the on board tank per day and I am the only one that usually has a shower. I think we are 120L, is this mad? Maybe it is faulty and not registering it is full or empty?

My hubby carts along our old waste and water hog from the previous caravan to empty and fill up each day to save moving the van.

I try save water by turning the tap or shower off as I wash my hands ect so I am sure we are not wasteful and I bring bottles of drinking water to chill in the fridge. It is our tap water from home, remember we are from Yorkshire no expensive fancy bottled water for us (apart from original purchase for the bottles::bigsmile:)

How long will a tank last you?

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

That seems alot to me! There are 5 of us and when we wild camp probably fill up every 2-3 days we all shower and fill the baby bath too. Although, we do use the camp shower mixed with the cold from the tank when in France for the two adults so that does save a bit. We do have a lot of washing up though.

It does seem to be alot of filling for 3 :whatthe:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
120 liters a day, I thought we were heavy users at approx (as I can't remember the exact figure) 45 gallons in 5 days, and that's US Gallons as I've never converted them(though ignoring the US bit approx 200 liters I suppose), might be 40, can't remember and that's water for tea, washing up, flushing the loo etc etc. If we shower as well we drop to 4 days maybe. We rairly run out as it goes but 5 days is usually when we're low enough on the fresh or high enough on the waste tanks it's worth an empty/fill move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Two of us can get buy 2/3 days 100ltr tank no problem 4 if we have to and can't fill up.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Two of us use 20 to 25 litres a day. We have a 25 litre jerry can and a trolley which I use for topping up rather than move the van to the water point. The van has an outside socket next to the water inlet and came with a submersible pump for use with a jerry can or other vessel.

Graham

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
With to occupants....................

On non shower days we use 15Lt's and on shower days 20Lt's, I know this as I use 5 liter containers to ferry the water on my bike to the van.

So with a 100 Lt tank we get 5 or 7 days out of it.
Doug...

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I emptied the grey water when I got home from the Northern MH show on Monday, and was surprised that I'd only used one and a half buckets of water for washing and washing-up over the 5 days.

Plus 6 litres of (cheap) bottled water for making tea.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I emptied the grey water when I got home from the Northern MH show on Monday, and was surprised that I'd only used one and a half buckets of water for washing and washing-up over the 5 days.

Ah! but its normal for each person to pass 5 Lt's of urine every day so you may have to add that to your gray water.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How long is a piece of string ?

The more you use, the more you haul , both ways, fresh and waste .. she uses, I haul :Doh:

Fully serviced pitches are the best .. no hauling :thumb:

to answer the question, I can only guess, we had a 320lt tank, but at least 120lt/day and on a wash day over 200lt

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

when we go away we just put enough to use for the bog en route, and fill up when we get to our location. Ours holds 120 litres and when its filled we can go maybe three or four days without refilling. Ours services the bog too( electric flush) but we have never used the shower in our van( nor in any other of our vans) due to SWMBO saying that she doesnt want to get " the van damp"

we tend to use the vanity sink to have washes- or if we go to somewhere with showers, use their facilities.....its been that long since we had a shower away( was in the dim and distant past when Labour was old labour and not New labour and we had a caravan) that I often wonder what that funny thing in the toilet room with a silver thing hanging underneath connected to a tap is....

I'm going to try and convice her its a phone hahahaha!

Bessy regs

Kenny

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
What does "on a shower day" or "wash day" mean? Aren't all days wash days?????:Eeek:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Every day is a shower day.... :thumb:

Wash day,
I should have said laundry day .... we lived in the RV full time for three years, and had a Whirlpool domestic washing machine .. not unusual in an RV

Why shower when you can dive into the Med and rinse of in free water when you come out?

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
no reason... if you are at the Med .. and it's warm

I look forward to your report when you try that in the North Sea :roflmto:

Don't hold your breath Jim, apart from the occasional rally or visit to friends and family I don't use the van in the UK.

Doug...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use gallons not litres

Whilst answering a question about seperate showers I realised just how much water we get through, is it normal?

3 of us easily use the on board tank per day and I am the only one that usually has a shower. I think we are 120L, is this mad? Maybe it is faulty and not registering it is full or empty?

My hubby carts along our old waste and water hog from the previous caravan to empty and fill up each day to save moving the van.

I try save water by turning the tap or shower off as I wash my hands ect so I am sure we are not wasteful and I bring bottles of drinking water to chill in the fridge. It is our tap water from home, remember we are from Yorkshire no expensive fancy bottled water for us (apart from original purchase for the bottles::bigsmile:)

How long will a tank last you?

I fill a 5 gallon plastic water container twice in day (loaded at the same time) and load that in to our Winnebago tank .. but we hold 26 US Gallons and we keep it full on sites. Our holding tanks grey and black hold the same each so I would say we use about 40 l a day? may be more. Depends if we wash up onthe RV or in the block on a camp site, same with showers etc., Main use is lots of tea and I mean lots, plus a large water bowl for the Saint Bernard..:winky:

OP
OP
jg147

jg147

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
new
Thanks everyone, I still have no idea what the heck we do with it?
I will keep a close eye this weekend, we do use the toilet and washing hands everytime, washing up, drinks ect all adds up but I think we are just wastefull. I do not deal with water and waste I am the cook, whilst hubby has never moaned maybe things will not change:Blush:

I should be gratefull we are not on a water metre in the UK but we are in Spain and it has always seemed cheap enough, a lot less than Yorkshire Water but then again we only stay about 6 weeks a year:Doh:

When we manage to get to a meet you can all happily take the P out of hubby and his water hog

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I think we are just wastefull. I do not deal with water and waste I am the cook, whilst hubby has never moaned maybe things will not change:Blush:

Think this is the possible answer, we learnt to conserve water when caravanning and took it in turns to collect and empty waste, it concentrates the mind wonderfully, when its your turn in the wind and rain to have to collect and empty, I know our daughter soon learnt. as we all did.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
120 liters a day, I thought we were heavy users at approx (as I can't remember the exact figure) 45 gallons in 5 days, and that's US Gallons as I've never converted them(though ignoring the US bit approx 200 liters I suppose), might be 40, can't remember and that's water for tea, washing up, flushing the loo etc etc. If we shower as well we drop to 4 days maybe. We rairly run out as it goes but 5 days is usually when we're low enough on the fresh or high enough on the waste tanks it's worth an empty/fill move.

1 UK gallon = 1.2058 US gallons
So 45 US gallons = 37.32 UK gallons.
200 litres = 43.99 UK gallons.
200 litres = 52.84 US gallons.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
When we are out we use about 75 litres a day but we both shower daily
and use bottled water:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Not entirely relevant but I thought I'd share it anyway::bigsmile:, today we had a customer in who uses 69,000 litres of water EVERY DAY! Yes that's right, 69 Tonnes of water each and every day! He runs a laundry company that caters for 300 hospitals, 500 hotels and processes 33 Tonnes of linen every week! Apparently the water board came out to visit him and check his meter 'cos they thought he only had a small launderette!

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back