FYI: SKY's new HD EPG 'Installer Menu' access has changed (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

If you have SKY HD and have been hit with the new Electronic Program Guide (EPG) menus from SKY:

Link Removed

you'll also find the secret 'Installer Menu' (to change the default transponder whilst abroad for Astra) has changed:

Old method:
Installer setup - Not listed on the Sky Guide Menu
To access the Installer setup, do the following:
1 Press Services on your Sky remote.
2 Press 4 (System Setup).
3 Press 0
4 Press 1
5 Press Select

New Method:
1 Press Services on your Sky remote.
2 Press 0
3 Press 0
4 Press 1
5 Press Select

Handy to be armed with this information before pitching up overseas or you might find you cant access the secret menu to change the default transponder

N&K

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
mind you , many people who have the new HD EPG have been reporting many problems in getting the new EPG to work.

It appears the new EPG is only transmitted from one frequency and one frequency only, and changing the default transponder does not do anything at all in helping the box boot up!

whereas the old EPG is mainly transmitted fom 11778, with 6 ghours of info on all other frequencies - hence why you can get a sky box to boot up using an alternate frequency.

i do not have a hd box with the new epg on me to try out other frequencies, but clients who have contacted me have not had much luck, as the new epg frequency is on a tricky to get north beam signal....which can be tricky to get at certain times of the day even on a 2.4m dish in my area of spain!

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi Satandpcguy

I'll try and avoid kicking off another long thread with you about Satellite tuning ::bigsmile: but as usual your comments are interesting....if the new EPG is only transmitted on the North Beam, what happens if I take my HD box into a South Beam only area of Europe? Our next holiday is to northern(ish) Italy, where I am hoping to get the North Beam with my 1.1 dish, but just in case I can't, will I receive the old EPG on my HD box if I change the default transponder to 11778 on the south beam?

I have been away a few times in the UK since receiving the new EPG and have found the signal bar graph on the signal menu on the Sky Box to non responsive until a lock is obtained. I used to vary if the dish was moved around but now I have had to rely totally on my external Signal Meter to tune the signal.

If there are any HD EPG frequency tests I can do for you from here (UK) let me know

Thanks

N&K

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
if the new EPG is only transmitted on the North Beam, what happens if I take my HD box into a South Beam only area of Europe?
if the hd epg is indeed only on a north beam...then you will not be able to receive the data that the new hd epg needs and therefore the box will not boot up correctly and will not work until it gets the data it need.

the north beam reception does fluctuate greatly during the day and in my area (valencia) tends to be weakest around 4pm to 6pm.

Our next holiday is to northern(ish) Italy, where I am hoping to get the North Beam with my 1.1 dish, but just in case I can't, will I receive the old EPG on my HD box if I change the default transponder to 11778 on the south beam?
11778 is on the north beam.
if you have the new hd epg, and there is only one frequency for the hd epg, then it will look for data on the new epg frequencies....

from the people who have had issues with the new epg, when they changed the default tranponder to another (one on the south beam) they still have not managed to get their HD box booted up...until around 6pm ish when the new box has been able to access the new epg data, when they can start to get north beam signals.

it MAY be possible to do a forced software download, and you MAY be able to get the old epg back, but for how long...? i have not tried this and not too sure if it is in fact possible, but your HD box will eventually update to the new hd epg...

If there are any HD EPG frequency tests I can do for you from here (UK) let me know
cheers...will let you know

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
from the people who have had issues with the new epg, when they changed the default tranponder to another (one on the south beam) they still have not managed to get their HD box booted up...until around 6pm ish when the new box has been able to access the new epg data, when they can start to get north beam signals.

I wonder.......after reading your comments about your customers problems and the new EPG........can I force my HD box to talk to ONLY the South Beam (e.g. 12.129) while in the UK by changing the default transponder frquency. i.e. to see if my box will work, instead of lugging it all the way to Italy to find out it wont boot because I dont have a North Beam signal for it to boot from? Or do you think the box will automatically detect the North Beam while I am in the UK and still work OK.

My box has the new EPG, if I am in Italy and it cant access the North Beam to get the information it needs to boot, what will happen do you think? Think it will possible to force a software download to revert to the old EPG and then it will work on the old EPG?

How do you force a software download, I dont like to tinker in the installer menu, I hear it can be dangerous.

Thanks

N&K

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I wonder.......after reading your comments about your customers problems and the new EPG........can I force my HD box to talk to ONLY the South Beam (e.g. 12.129) while in the UK by changing the default transponder frquency. i.e. to see if my box will work, instead of lugging it all the way to Italy to find out it wont boot because I dont have a North Beam signal for it to boot from? Or do you think the box will automatically detect the North Beam while I am in the UK and still work OK.

i think the box when in the uk will be able to locate the info it neds on its correct frequency on the north beam and therefore will boot ok.

i wonder if you can...
put box into standby
unplug the box
disconnect the coax cable from the dish.
start the box
put in a new default tranposnder (like 12129)
reconnect one cable to input 1
see if it boots up...

people i have asked to try this say they do get the date and time, but then the system fails to boot up...

My box has the new EPG, if I am in Italy and it cant access the North Beam to get the information it needs to boot, what will happen do you think?
your box will not boot up correctly - as far as i know all dodgybox need a minimum of 6 hours of EPG dta to function...and it gets this information from the default transponder frequency of 11778.....whenere the full 7 day EPG data sits...when this frequency is not available you can go to any other frequency you can receive as they all carry 6 hours of epg data...
people just use the south beams as they are very strong all over europe...but you can boot up using a bbc1 frequency if you cannot get a north beam frequecy....

Think it will possible to force a software download to revert to the old EPG and then it will work on the old EPG?
Again, it MAY be possibleto force a siftware download, and the box MAY revert back to the "old" epg...but when i am unsure as to what frequency the data downloads are on (i thinkit is 11778 but not 100% sure)so i cannot say when it will redownload the new EPG...

How do you force a software download, I dont like to tinker in the installer menu, I hear it can be dangerous.
put box into stand by
disconnect power cable
press and hold the back up button (on the reciver not the remote)
reinsert power
three lights will appear ont he front of the box (red green ytellow) and the update message should appear on the screen
you may now rel;ease the back up button.

yes doing a manual download can cause problems with boxes, you may loose data / recoerded programme, you may corrupt the onbopard memory, you can totally knacker your box...
Thanks
N&K
no probs

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
i think the box when in the uk will be able to locate the info it neds on its correct frequency on the north beam and therefore will boot ok.

i wonder if you can...
put box into standby
unplug the box
disconnect the coax cable from the dish.
start the box
put in a new default tranposnder (like 12129)
reconnect one cable to input 1
see if it boots up...

people i have asked to try this say they do get the date and time, but then the system fails to boot up...

Hi

I completed the above process. The time displayed as soon as I plugged in Input 1 (input 2 disconnected). I checked the Signal Strength Menu, Input 1 is good, Lock OK, Network ID 0002

all the EPG listings are still there (probably left over from before the changes) but I receive the message:

"No Satellite Signal"

I still have a lot of the south beam channels marked as favourites from our Spain trip, but I still get No Satellite Signal on those channels too.

hmmm this isnt looking good for my next trip to a South Beam only country?

N&K

ps..if i plug Input 2 back in, it all works again even on default transponder of 12129, Input2 is up to something special it seems.

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
cheers for this bit of info...very useful

normally changing the DT only affects input1 on HD and Sky+ boxes....so maybe the new epg software has changed this to input 2...

could be a new tactic in stopping reception of their channels in areas where they shouldnt be received....
also, i have noticed a new data stream on the satellites on 12460h which could well be the HD epg data stream....it appeared in january just before the rollout to sky employees of the new hd epg for testing...its on the north beam!

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hello again Sat and PC Guy

If there is anything else you want to try, please let me know, I am keen to unravel this, it might not be worth taking my SKY HD box on holiday if it wont work in South Beam only areas.

Came across this thread which coincides with what you have said, although this could be you :Smile: Link Removed

(new data stream on the satellites on 12460h)

If the new EPG is transmitted only on the North Beam, to try and calculate where my box will boot while in Europe because I have the new HP EPG, which footprint map should I be looking at Astra 2D or Astra 2A (North Beam)

Astra 2A (North Beam)
0_astra_2A_2B_north.jpg

Astra 2D
0_astra_2D.jpg

Thanks

N&K

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Astra 2d does not have a north beam or south beam...it just has one beam
astra 2a and 2b both have north and south beams...

12460 is on astra 2b north beam.

Came across this thread which coincides with what you have said, although this could be you
i too saw that thread...amongst the many other on other forums discussing this issue.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
New Update...?

Hi N&K

I understand that there was a soptware update for those boxes with the new HD EPG, which was mean to to resolve a few "teething" issues they have had...

i dont know if this included the "default transponder" trick so that the HD EPG can read the SD epg data on other transponders....

modely27

Free Member
Jul 21, 2010
Funster No
SKY HD box

Hello,

I have used a SKY HD box while I was in the UK.

I am now in Mauritius and using DSTV to get all the TV channels and including getting sky news etc...

Could you let me know how I can point the SKYHD box to the Indian Ocean satellite.

Thanks

Modely

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hello,

I have used a SKY HD box while I was in the UK.

I am now in Mauritius and using DSTV to get all the TV channels and including getting sky news etc...

Could you let me know how I can point the SKYHD box to the Indian Ocean satellite.

Thanks

Modely

I dont think you can use a UK Sky HD box with other satellites.
And in Mauritius you are well outside the UK TV satellite footprints - see lyngsat and Aatra 2a,2b,2d and Eurobird 1 - and unlikely to receive the UK TV channels..

blutouk

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Hi

I completed the above process. The time displayed as soon as I plugged in Input 1 (input 2 disconnected). I checked the Signal Strength Menu, Input 1 is good, Lock OK, Network ID 0002

all the EPG listings are still there (probably left over from before the changes) but I receive the message:

"No Satellite Signal"

I still have a lot of the south beam channels marked as favourites from our Spain trip, but I still get No Satellite Signal on those channels too.

hmmm this isnt looking good for my next trip to a South Beam only country?

N&K

ps..if i plug Input 2 back in, it all works again even on default transponder of 12129, Input2 is up to something special it seems.

Sky+ HD boxes are set up in the installer menu to use two input feeds.

It appears if you were to have a fully functioning box but then remove the feed to input number two you get what you have described above.

This is most probably due to the box expecting two feeds but only getting the one, the program guide lists all the programs and channels but displays this message.

"No Satellite Signal"

If you then go into the 'Installer Menu' and change the setting from using two feeds to one feed and follow the instructions to reboot the box you will find that the box should restart and then display the channels for you to watch.

Please note as you are now only using one feed you can only record one channel at a time and you wont be able to watch one channel and record another also 'Sky Anytime' will not function while the box is set to one feed.

When you want to connect a second feed to the box again you will have to go back into the 'Installer Menu' and change the setting back to two feeds.

Hope this helps

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Please note as you are now only using one feed you can only record one channel at a time and you wont be able to watch one channel and record another also 'Sky Anytime' will not function while the box is set to one feed.
I think it will work if you are watching and recording channels on the same frequency - like ITV2 and ITV4, or my be the same polarization (ie VL, VH, HL, HH).
Also, new software is being rolled out, for Anytime+ (their VOD system), that is said to correct the "no anytime on single feed mode" problem, but mine has not been updated yet so cannot tell.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back