Why did I join Motorhome fun? (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I played around with the site for sometime, but today I cried and paid my £12.00. But why today? Just got back from a smashing break at the Camping and Caravanning Sailsbury site. Wonderful place Sailsbury. The site was good EXCEPT, and this is why I paid out the £12 .. I like to do my own thing, I have owned several motorhomes in the past 20 years and never liked the regimented requirements of clubs in the past. I like the shows like Malvern (still as good as ever) and Stratford on Avon (gone down a bit in the past 20 years). But I found the Caravan Club stuffy and did not renew my membership this year..saved the £37 basically buying just a magazine as American motorhomes are not made very welcome on there sites. Now back to Sailsbury. My motor home or RV as you wish is just a tad under 8 mtrs Ok fits in to the size lenght wise and is 5 mtrs when the slide out is out and the awning is down, again fits into the size requirements. But I made the major mistake of putting a net screen on the awning that needed to be pegged out an extra 6" to save it rubbing in the dirt/mud. Oh hell, the site warden was all over me like a rash. So we had to pull in the pegs and have the netting in the dirt or we would have to leave. Now is that fun I ask myself. Being a nasty American RV we have a generator - how else do I heat up the food in the micro wave:Blush: But if you go to a District meet (DA) like we did recently (a mainly caravan group) we had real problems... Oh forgot to say I use the generator also to charge the disabled buggies that allow us off the site in the middle of nowhere. Despite waiting for most caravan car owners to depart for the day and running the generator for an hour with the site stewards permission someone still had to compalin. So I have paid my £12.... is this a better place to be? we will see. I am already booked at the Malvern show in the disabled area otherwise I would join the group.. who knows perhaps at Bath & West which I have not booked yet. But all I want to do is enjoy my pride and joy, I do not set out to upset others. I do not try to breach club rules. But come on 6" on a bit of ground that was not able to be used for another rig as it was on a corner next to the roadway. By the way the Camping and Caravnning club call themselves the friendly club. Once bitten twice shy as they say. Am I expecting to much to be able to enjoy my motor home (RV) without someone in a yellow jacket (OK they do not wear yellow jackets) but you get the point. I chose an American motor home (on my third one now).. why? because.............. as the signature says.

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi slobadoberbob and :welcomefunster: to MotorhomeFun.:thumb:
Do come over and see us at the Malvern Show, you will be most welcome.:thumb:

flyingwelcome

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bob, welcome to the Fun :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Some folk just cant cope with those that like something a bit different, I wont use the cc site at the wirral - why - because you cant go on the grass, i dont intend to go on the grass but try getting round the narrowish bendy oneway road system with my outfit without catching the grass somewhere

Hi and Welcome to FUN

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I played around with the site for sometime, but today I cried and paid my £12.00. But why today?

Are you glad you got that off your chest !

Bad news.

Paying £12 does not make tossers go away.

But it could get you some civilised company in Newark on 3rd Sept or Bath on 17th Sept. You'll find details on the front page.

You say you are a criminal lawyer - did you go inside for this or did you get yourself off ?

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
But come on 6" on a bit of ground that was not able to be used for another rig as it was on a corner next to the roadway. By the way the Camping and Caravnning club call themselves the friendly club. Once bitten twice shy as they say.

I had the same sort of problem at the C&CC site at Llanystumdwy. When we arrived the assistant warden (that's what they are to me still, not holiday site managers as they are now called) showed us to our pitch and positioned the MH to exactly where he wanted us. We then pitched our utility tent next to it. An hour or so later the warden came back on site after his day off and walked round the site with his assistant and when they got to us, the warden told the assistant we had to move over 1/2 metre as the 6 metre rule was only 5 1/2 metres. He did not actually tell us but told the assistant to move us in a loud voice for us to hear but totally ignoring our presence. The area to our side was not a pitch, the neighbours only had a VW camper without tent or awning. They also heard the comments and volunteered to move over to save us having to uproot our tent but no this wasn't allowed. We are not confrontational people so we moved.
Don't renew,save your money.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The Jury is out on that one

Are you glad you got that off your chest !

Bad news.

Paying £12 does not make tossers go away.

But it could get you some civilised company in Newark on 3rd Sept or Bath on 17th Sept. You'll find details on the front page.

You say you are a criminal lawyer - did you go inside for this or did you get yourself off ?

I thought I was going to get 6 months for the infringement. But with remission (removed the pegs) I was allowed to stay in the real world (what real world I wonder!). I am sure there are some wonderful :winky: site wardens about, but I seemed to get the jobsworth.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Bob , welcome to mhfun , funny lot out there but no problem with funsters :thumb:::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Nice one Brian - took the words out of my mouth:ROFLMAO:

Sadly in my experience neither club seems to have firm guide lines to work to as far as common sense is involved - any one going to a meet where leccy is not available must accept that people will use generators and that could be from 8.30 am to 8 or 9 at night depending on what they are used for. Many years ago when caravaning an old car battery fully charged would last a week or so no telly, gas lighting, only running a radio and a pump for the water - then we added a shower -then a TV and leccy lights etc etc now some power source is essential to enjoyment. We use CL and CS sites mainly as they are more welcoming - cheaper and generally very relaxed. Book shepton should be a good meet IMHO

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I like the picture and the gun

Mine is a colt navy and a .45 colt with a heavy tooled gun belt. What better than an American RV, a cold bud and a heavy colt in the belt. Malvern roll on. Lets have the warm weather again and get away from club rules (excepting the generators are turned off at a reasonable hour each night).:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as the signature says.

I'm trying to get my head round your sig. I guess it's on the theme of "if you need to ask the price......"

But taken at face value it could not be further out of tune with FUN. We spend half our time here helping people switch on a water pump, or advising them on the use of their toilets, yes there are those who refuse to defecate in one. It comes across to me as the perfect saying for the wardens you admire so much.

Maybe I'm old and stupid and don't understand, so no use explaining.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Could be wrong but I smell a wind up, or just good old trolling:winky:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I played around with the site for sometime, but today I cried and paid my £12.00. But why today? Just got back from a smashing break at the Camping and Caravanning Sailsbury site. Wonderful place Sailsbury. The site was good EXCEPT, and this is why I paid out the £12 .. I like to do my own thing, I have owned several motorhomes in the past 20 years and never liked the regimented requirements of clubs in the past. I like the shows like Malvern (still as good as ever) and Stratford on Avon (gone down a bit in the past 20 years). But I found the Caravan Club stuffy and did not renew my membership this year..saved the £37 basically buying just a magazine as American motorhomes are not made very welcome on there sites. Now back to Sailsbury. My motor home or RV as you wish is just a tad under 8 mtrs Ok fits in to the size lenght wise and is 5 mtrs when the slide out is out and the awning is down, again fits into the size requirements. But I made the major mistake of putting a net screen on the awning that needed to be pegged out an extra 6" to save it rubbing in the dirt/mud. Oh hell, the site warden was all over me like a rash. So we had to pull in the pegs and have the netting in the dirt or we would have to leave. Now is that fun I ask myself. Being a nasty American RV we have a generator - how else do I heat up the food in the micro wave:Blush: But if you go to a District meet (DA) like we did recently (a mainly caravan group) we had real problems... Oh forgot to say I use the generator also to charge the disabled buggies that allow us off the site in the middle of nowhere. Despite waiting for most caravan car owners to depart for the day and running the generator for an hour with the site stewards permission someone still had to compalin. So I have paid my £12.... is this a better place to be? we will see. I am already booked at the Malvern show in the disabled area otherwise I would join the group.. who knows perhaps at Bath & West which I have not booked yet. But all I want to do is enjoy my pride and joy, I do not set out to upset others. I do not try to breach club rules. But come on 6" on a bit of ground that was not able to be used for another rig as it was on a corner next to the roadway. By the way the Camping and Caravnning club call themselves the friendly club. Once bitten twice shy as they say. Am I expecting to much to be able to enjoy my motor home (RV) without someone in a yellow jacket (OK they do not wear yellow jackets) but you get the point. I chose an American motor home (on my third one now).. why? because.............. as the signature says.

Huh generators, not a problem, everyone with an RV should have a generator, even if it's to use their microwave to heat up their pot noodle. :ROFLMAO: What really gets me is those who want to extend their net screens 6". :roflmto:

What nonsense, haven't they got anything better to moan about, you made the right decision ....£12 better than £37 with the CC and a more like minded bunch of members.

Welcome to the Fun site. :Smile:

Last edited:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm trying to get my head round your sig. I guess it's on the theme of "if you need to ask the price......"

But taken at face value it could not be further out of tune with FUN. We spend half our time here helping people switch on a water pump, or advising them on the use of their toilets, yes there are those who refuse to defecate in one. It comes across to me as the perfect saying for the wardens you admire so much.

Old and stupid (?), don't think so Brian, you're a lot more savvy than you make out. :winky:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
If we had to explain you would not understand

No it is not the price... on the side of the RV low down on a locker (she - the managment would not allow it anywhere else) I have the words If we had to explain you would not understand.... it is the fact it is an American RV and those that do not own a camper (and some that do) cannot get there head around the idea of a left hand drive home on wheels with a slide out (s) etc., We have seen many a smile when people read it. To be honest we stole the idea from a fifth wheel rig we saw it on some time back and thought it was very true, so we have it on the side of the Winnebago. Simple.... but money yes . expensive but still cheaper with more than a UK type camper even with the extra goodies fitted.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hello Bob , welcome to mhfun , funny lot out there but no problem with funsters :thumb:::bigsmile:

Funny lot in here to but in a good way:ROFLMAO::thumb:

No it is not the price... on the side of the RV low down on a locker (she - the managment would not allow it anywhere else) I have the words If we had to explain you would not understand.... it is the fact it is an American RV and those that do not own a camper (and some that do) cannot get there head around the idea of a left hand drive home on wheels with a slide out (s) etc., We have seen many a smile when people read it. To be honest we stole the idea from a fifth wheel rig we saw it on some time back and thought it was very true, so we have it on the side of the Winnebago. Simple.... but money yes . expensive but still cheaper with more than a UK type camper even with the extra goodies fitted.

Possibly from the American ism, 'it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand', Jeep nut here who does understand but would struggle to explain fully, to my mind a general enthusiasm for a thing, be it Jeep, RV or whatever that goes beyond logical explanation, like defining why you love someone?

Rambling aside, as other said, Sheplton show, go for it, it was great last year and I don't doubt it'll be good again, mainly just for the company:thumb:

Looking forward to Malvern too, as long as no one tries getting me dancing, ye hauing:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have the words If we had to explain you would not understand.... it is the fact it is an American RV and those that do not own a camper (and some that do) cannot get there head around the idea of a left hand drive home on wheels with a slide out (s) etc.,

NOW I get it. Bit of Zen.

But can you see how it looks out of context.

Not to worry, people keep misinterpreting my posts, damned fools think I'm a grumpy old man. Pah, ask my wife.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No it is not the price... on the side of the RV low down on a locker (she - the managment would not allow it anywhere else) I have the words If we had to explain you would not understand.... it is the fact it is an American RV and those that do not own a camper (and some that do) cannot get there head around the idea of a left hand drive home on wheels with a slide out (s) etc.,.

If you go to Spain I would suggest another sign >>>:winky:

and I am not joking...

Motivos no pido para ver el interior, como la negativa a menudo ofende

loosely translated>>>

Please do not ask to view inside, as refusal often offends

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
I played around with the site for sometime, but today I cried and paid my £12.00. But why today? Just got back from a smashing break at the Camping and Caravaning Sailsbury site. Wonderful place Sailsbury. The site was good EXCEPT, and this is why I paid out the £12 .. I like to do my own thing, I have owned several motorhomes in the past 20 years and never liked the regimented requirements of clubs in the past. I like the shows like Malvern (still as good as ever) and Stratford on Avon (gone down a bit in the past 20 years). But I found the Caravan Club stuffy and did not renew my membership this year..saved the £37 basically buying just a magazine as American motorhomes are not made very welcome on there sites. Now back to Sailsbury. My motor home or RV as you wish is just a tad under 8 mtrs Ok fits in to the size lenght wise and is 5 mtrs when the slide out is out and the awning is down, again fits into the size requirements. But I made the major mistake of putting a net screen on the awning that needed to be pegged out an extra 6" to save it rubbing in the dirt/mud. Oh hell, the site warden was all over me like a rash. So we had to pull in the pegs and have the netting in the dirt or we would have to leave. Now is that fun I ask myself. Being a nasty American RV we have a generator - how else do I heat up the food in the micro wave:Blush: But if you go to a District meet (DA) like we did recently (a mainly caravan group) we had real problems... Oh forgot to say I use the generator also to charge the disabled buggies that allow us off the site in the middle of nowhere. Despite waiting for most caravan car owners to depart for the day and running the generator for an hour with the site stewards permission someone still had to compalin. So I have paid my £12.... is this a better place to be? we will see. I am already booked at the Malvern show in the disabled area otherwise I would join the group.. who knows perhaps at Bath & West which I have not booked yet. But all I want to do is enjoy my pride and joy, I do not set out to upset others. I do not try to breach club rules. But come on 6" on a bit of ground that was not able to be used for another rig as it was on a corner next to the roadway. By the way the Camping and Caravnning club call themselves the friendly club. Once bitten twice shy as they say. Am I expecting to much to be able to enjoy my motor home (RV) without someone in a yellow jacket (OK they do not wear yellow jackets) but you get the point. I chose an American motor home (on my third one now).. why? because.............. as the signature says.

i am assuming that the Caravan & Camping club had no Electric on site for you to use your Gennie also i have a European m h just over 8 m and i use a Gennie when i wild camp but not constantly if when i park up and some other outfit is there i ask them if it is ok to use the Gen now and then and to date never been refused regarding the distance between outfits on sites recently i was at the Maragowan Caravan Club site tha i use often for the fishing and had a conversation with the Wardens as they have put up signes (No Fishing) the reason is there are some overhead cables, they did say it is guidance only and you can fish they like most most organizations are governed by Health&Safety going over the top and to cover them selfs in case of Accident This is also the case for the gap for outfits Because of the compensation culture of this country they on a few occasions have had to pay up for damage from Awnings and the like and they have been told to come down hard on any outfit from there Health&Safety people that are not within the Guidelines. Also i have used both the C&Camping club and cc for 28 years and never had any problems with the Wardens indeed over the years we have stuck up a friendly relationship with a few Wardens and visit them at there home.

Bill:thumb::thumb:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Another reason I joined was because you meet so many lovely, helpful people. Complete strangers who come to your aid when you need it most and who are able to answer questions to almost any query you may have about your vehicle. Which brings me back to why I joined. Having asked if anyone could store our boat, which became two, whilst over in France, Highwayman very kindly said we could use his drive for the duration. We arrived back in the UK last night and headed to Nigels who made us very welcome. A lovely cup of coffee and a long natter later saw us back on the road to Norwich arriving on our drive at 1am. Thankyou Nigel and Sheree for your kindness and we hope one day we will be able to do the same for you whenever you are this way.

Dale, Graham & Emily

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
if its bryan admin marshalling you'll see a yellow jacket, clipboard and maybe even a toilet tent/office he uses in adverse condition.:winky::roflmto:

but

the laid back and welcome you recieve over the meet will be 2nd to none.:thumb:

all the meets are laid back and loads of fun:thumb::Cool:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Why did I join motorhome fun?

Cos I found a place where everyone else is at least as daft as me. Graham (GJH) says he has a 1st class honours in daft. :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I joined as part of my rehabilitation...
I went to get a haircut and ended up in Mothercare, looking rather confused singing "If I ruled the world" wearing a pink tutu and an England Rugby Shirt.
The pills are fine as long as I take them orally, other methods failed...
Besides that, I feel 'normal' here compared to some, consider the other nutters in here. KSBruce, GJH and the Bolivian Cultural attaché (Hildweller)

ShiftZZ aged 10 and a bit

Ex MP for Basingstoke, BP Oil leak specialist, Taxidermist to the rich and famous.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I joined as part of my rehabilitation...
I went to get a haircut and ended up in Mothercare, looking rather confused singing "If I ruled the world" wearing a pink tutu and an England Rugby Shirt.
The pills are fine as long as I take them orally, other methods failed...
Besides that, I feel 'normal' here compared to some, consider the other nutters in here. KSBruce, GJH and the Bolivian Cultural attaché (Hildweller)

ShiftZZ aged 10 and a bit

Ex MP for Basingstoke, BP Oil leak specialist, Taxidermist to the rich and famous.

should you really be smoking at that tender age? and is that roadkill your eating:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back